Final

The one that got away'

 

It was summer after high school when we first met.

I still remember that day when I was in the mall's parking lot ready to leave when you got confused with the cars and mistakenly entered mine.

I cant forget how shock you were seeing me until you realized your mistake. You smiled and apologized and went out without even bothering to tell me your name.

After that day, you've been on my mind. You're pretty face, your flushed cheeks, your brown orbs, your lips...  everything. It lingered in my mind and kept me preoccupied all summer.

I thought I would never see you again. That you are like a figure who would drop by in my life and just make an impression.

But I was wrong.

When I saw you during the freshmen orientation, it was like heaven smiled down upon me. I knew it was not coincidence. We were meant to meet and maybe fall in love.

One thing led to another and next thing I knew we were making out in my Mustang to Radio head.

We instantly became a couple and everything was like  paradise. We complemented and supplemented one another.

We were perfect.

I even remembered when we celebrated our first year together, you told me about wanting to have some tattoos and on your 18th birthday we got that chain tattoos you wanted.

I also remember when I used to steal my parents' liquor and climb to the roof.

We would gaze and watch the stars and talk about our future like we had a clue.

It was all I ever wanted. All I ever dreamed of. You were the one for me and I am the one for you.

I made plans about everything.

How I will propose...

Where I will propose...

How will I support you...

How our future would be…

But I never plan that one day I'd be losing you.

 

I kept repeating to myself a phrase ever since you left. It kept me sane and helped me to hold on and it says,

‘And in another life you would be my girl.’

Saying that phrase every single minute of my life helped me live until today.

It was hard because guilt and anger kept reminding me of my sin, but I held on.

I had to hold on.

Thinking that there is another life than this, it kept me intact.

It made me live a delusion that in that life we keep all our promises, be us against the world.

And in that life I would make you stay

So I don't have to say you were the one that got away.

~

It was my fault. Everything was going well with the two of us... until she came along.

There was nothing wrong with the two of us.

All I know is that I love you but I am attracted to her.

I thought I could keep it to you but you found out about it.

I never meant for that accident to happen. But it did.

It was supposed to be our class camping trip yet she came along.

You don’t know about her, but she knew about you. When I thought you were asleep, I went out and see her. She led me to the cliff. One thing led to another, I was kissing her.

I didn't know you followed us.

I didn't know you suspected us.

All I know was that I was shock when I saw you looking at us teary eyed while she was wrapped in my arms.

I didn't know how it happened but next thing I knew, the two of you were hanging by the cliff.

It went by so fast.

The two of you were barely hanging on and I could only save one.

I need to rush, because if I don’t, I’ll be loosing the both of you.

But who?

Who should I save?

The one I love or the one I was attracted to?

 

I knew the answer.

I should save you.

You were my heart… my love… my life.

She? She was just the girl that I got attracted to.

 

But for the nth time, I did not know what happen. All I know was pulling you up  but I didn’t realize that it wasn’t you all along that I was pulling to safety.

 

I saw the pain and betrayal in your eyes when you called my name

It was burning my soul.

But before I could reach out to you, you let go.

I watched you fall in the dark, cold waters and never resurfaced back.

It shattered my heart.

I wasn’t able to save you.

~

I barely lived knowing I caused your death.

But everytime I think that there is a different life aside from ours, I survived.

I believed that in another life… You would still be my girl.

I didn’t cheat on you...

I didn’t went out of our tent to see her...

You didn’t see us making out near the cliff...

You didn’t fall in that water.

 

That in another life,

We kept all our promises, be us against the world.

And in another life, I would make you stay.

I would propose to you, have family with you and spend forever with you,

So I don't have to say you were the one that got away

 

But all of those were wishful thinking.

You're gone and I can’t bring you back.

But if I could, I would spend ever last coin I have and I would trade it all for you but all these money can't buy me a time machine, no.

And even if I try to forget you and move on with a different woman, it can't replace you with a million rings.

I should have realized that it was you all along I ever wanted. Not her.

I should have shown you and I should've told you what you meant to me...

'Cause now I pay the price.

~

In that another life I would be your guy.

We kept all our promises, be us against the world.

And in that another life, I would have stayed 

And I didn’t have to save you from this cliff,

So I don't have to say you were the one that got away

 

But I cant.

 

Coz in this life I wasn’t able to make you stay...

So now I have no choice but to say that you were the one that got away.

 

My true love that I cheated on...

My true love that I wasn’t able to save that night...

 

 

Was the one that got away.