Chapter 3; A bunny’s hop.

Finding Us

Chapter 3; A bunny’s hop.

Nayeon

-“We are glad you could make it. As we said to your manager, we are here today to discuss if you are interested in being one of the two main MCs for the Annual Entertainment Awards.” Nayeon was sitting at the bottom of the table. The person making the offer to her was Yoo Jae-Suk who was appointed to coach the two MC's for this award show. Yoo Jae-Suk is a well-respected MC in Korea, but he was not going to host this event, the organizers for the National Awards wanted to have young up-and-comer MC's this time around.

Nayeon was the first pick for filling in this important position. She was famous for being a temporary MC for weekly idol as well as several shows covering idols, actors, and the showbiz. Her first big appearance was on KBS's “Hello Counselor” when she was invited for the “Wealth Spoils” special. She of course had made public appearances since her childhood as the heiress of the biggest company for beauty, cosmetics, and skincare in Korea, IM Cosmetic. She always showed an exceptional attitude in these appearances, so she was a natural pick for the special in Hello Counselor. In which she gave great advice, showed empathy to the people that went for counseling, and had good chemistry with the other hosts.

From there on, she was starting to get recognized as a note-worthy MC. However, she was not expecting an offer as big as this, as soon as this.

- “I would love to contribute to this event. Thank you all for even considering me!” Nayeon said while she showed her adorable bunny smile.

Along with Nayeon and Yoo Jae-Suk, the other people in the room were big shots from the entertainment industry as well as the Award show's board. They liked the fact the she was excited to MC the event not only because she was  really popular right now, but also because several of them wanted to create bonds with a brand as respected as IM Cosmetic.

- “That's good to hear. We will give you the specific details and a rough script once all the nominees and winners have been determined. We also wanted to make sure that we have the availability of your schedule for the rehearsals starting on the 20th of this month, so 10 days from now.” One of the members of the Award's board explained to Nayeon.

- “To conclude, Im Nayeon-ssi, we can take it that you are going to be one of our MCs for the event, is that correct?” Asked the president of the board, in what sounded more like an affirmation.

- “Yes! Please trust in me to MC this event. I will try to keep up with Yoo Jae-Suk sunbaenim the best I can.”

- “Actually I won't be the other MC.”

- “Oh. May I ask who will it be?”

- “That's to be determined.” The president of the board spoke again. “We want to have new MCs this time around. There is a lot of promising young talent right now. Most of our nominees are relatively new to the showbiz, so we want our MCs to reflect the same. This is of course a gamble in our part. Because of that we are expecting a lot from you, Im Nayeon-ssi” The president announced in a decisive manner.

- “Yes sir!”

Nayeon instantly messaged her best friend on her way home. She was the kind of person that was born with everything. The fact that she was getting recognized for her talent instead of her name was enough to make her feel the happiest she has ever been. Even in online forums they would often talk about her soft skills and how charismatic she was, instead of her last name or the beauty that often got associated with it.

“An important award show? That's amazing, but are you even allowed to tell me that much?”

“Nope! So keep the secret!”

“I might.”

“Tzuyu, why do you have to bully me when I'm so happy TT”

“I'm playing unnie! I'm happy for you too”

“I’m so excited! I am also getting worried the rehearsals are coming up really soon”

“Really? How soon are we talking?”

“Less than two weeks…”

“Wow, did they grab you because someone canceled last minute?”

“I would get angry with you, but that thought crossed my mind as well”

“I’m joking Unnie! You are an amazing MC!”

“That was actually what I thought right after”

“TT”

“Thank you, Yoda. I’m less nervous now that I got to tell you.”

“I am glad Unnie.”

“You know, something exciting happened to me as well. It was a little embarrassing, though.”

“Exciting, but embarrassing? What was it?”

“I met Yoo Jeongyeon-sunbae.”

“Wow. Did you go and follow her like one of those stalkers? Just, wow”

“I did not!”

“I saw her at the IM Cosmetic HQ! I thought that you guys had managed to get her to do a promo, but she said that she was just visiting.”

“What? Visiting HQ, why?”

“I’m clueless too; I hoped you knew. I also recognized the girl that was with her. She is the one that did the eagle dance that you showed me”

“I couldn't make up who she was at first, but I'm pretty sure it was her”

“Well it makes sense now”

“Still, I'm surprised that they know each other. They must be close.”

“How does it make sense?”

“The eagle dance girl is Kim Dahyun. Her mother is an executive at the company.”

“Do you two know each other?”

“Kind of, this is also a little embarrassing for me, but it seems like you also ran into my sunbae”

“I just got home are you coming?”

“Going right now! I'm done with the shoot.”

“Is Kim Dahyun-ssi your sunbae? Why?”

“We have only spoken a little until now, but she used to act as the host for events at the company. Like Christmas and New Year’s parties.”

“Her family went on vacation 2 years ago, and with her gone, mother made me MC the event. That's how it all started for me.”

“She’s not answering, maybe that was too much information” Nayeon thought as she plummeted in her bed. Then she heard knocking, and her door opened to reveal her tall maknae.

- “I never knew that, unnie. So you started MCing because of sheer luck.” Tzuyu had entered the room.

- “Well, more or less” Nayeon said while sitting up. “It was more like I started because of Kim Dahyun. I always thought that MCing looked really fun when I saw her do it.”

- “Maybe she does not like it herself.”

- “What do you mean?”

- “Well, she is not doing it professionally like you.”

What Tzuyu mentioned got Nayeon thinking. “That is to be determined...” Nayeon remembered the meeting from earlier.

- “Unnie!”

- “Yeah I'm here.”

- “Are you listening to me? What are you thinking about?”

- “... I was just thinking… on how nervous you had to be when you finally met your crush.”

- “She... She’s... She's not my crush. I just admire her as a fellow actress. Have you watched her story arch on True Detective like I asked you to?”

- “I'd say you begged me to, actually.”

- “Stop it! Who's the bully now?”

- “I'm just messing with you, Yoda” Nayeon said with a troubled smile. “I haven't watched it yet.”

- “Why not!? It is so good, and she is amazing in it! People always say that young actors don't know how to convey feeling or make a character their own, but-”

- “Tzuyu...”

- “Oh sorry, I'm I letting myself go again?” Tzuyu said with an innocent smile while rubbing her head.

- “No, no. I just wanted to ask you...”

Nayeon was feeling uneasy and embarrassed at what she was about to ask.

- “Of course unnie, what's on your mind?”

She was feeling that way because she already knew the right answer.

- “If you knew of a role, that Yoo Jeongyeon would fit in. Would you tell her about it? Even if that meant taking the spotlight from yourself.”

She knew the answer, but she still needed to hear it from someone else.

- “I don't see it that way. She is Yoo Jeongyeon. I am Chou Tzuyu. She would not take my spotlight; she would only make the light from her own spotlight intensify. That would make her more visible for me; it would fuel my determination to match and surpass that light.”

Because hearing the answer from someone else would give her strength.

- “I guess I don't call you Yoda for nothing.” Nayeon said, as a relaxed smile formed in her lips.

- “Hey, I have to make a phone call. I'll be right back.”

- “Okay! Should I look for something for us to watch? Maybe True Detective? I don't know...”

- “Haha fine! Let's watch it, you earned it. I will also order food, will you stay over?”

- “Yes! Love you unnie!”

- “Love you too!”

Nayeon sprinted down the stairs towards the living room where she had left her handbag.

- “I'm home! Oh Nayeon, how did the meeting go?”

- “Mother, it went great! I think we can make the event a really fun one.”

Nayeon said while dialing a number on her phone from a card that was in her handbag.

- “That's great! Have you ordered something to eat yet? I want-”

- “Just a second mom, I have to make an important call!”

- “The CEO of a company and your daughter still disregards you. Unreal.”

- “Don’t make me laugh!” Nayeon exclaimed while holding her laughter.

“Yes, hello sunbae-nim, this is Im Nayeon.”

“No, everything is great, in fact I’m calling because I have suggestion for the second MC for the event.”

 

Author comments --

I added the title of the chapters to each chapter since they were not showing properly in the drop down, at least for me.

I'm curious on how many people subscribed to the story on the Prologue or Chapter 1 and return for new chapters weekly, or is it more like new people see the story when it updates and then read all the available chapters? Let me know! Also Work/School are a bit tight right now, so next chapter could take more than a week. I will aim for next Sunday, though!