The Middle

The Middle
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Seungri… well, Seungri had always been somewhere in the middle.

 

It had started the moment he was born, he came a little too early and had a fever after an emergency c-section. He wasn’t really sick, but he wasn’t perfectly healthy either - he was somewhere in the middle.

 

His childhood after that was great, he had the nicest parents, a cute younger sister and many younger and older cousins. Seungri was a good kid, he was raised well, obviously, and learned from early on to respect anybody. Yet he had his own kind of unique personality where he wished for everyone to look at each other with equality regardless of age, gender or skin color. It wasn’t always welcomed.

In his family Seungri was the average kid, his sister Hanna was more of the charming kind and way cuter, his older cousin Hyun-woo was super smart and said one’s sister, Hye-jin, had started an early career as a model with a contract and all that at the age of eleven.

Seungri was neither of these things, he was just a normal child with the attention of the family barely on him. He wasn’t that special, he was merely somewhere in the middle.

 

When Seungri went to school, be it elementary school or middle school, he made sure to make it a fun experience. There were so many things he was interested in, he didn’t even know where to start. The first subject that caught his attention was math, the young boy just loved how everything made sense and how there was always one right answer. To him it was simple and he took pride in that as he saw everyone else around him struggle with it. Then he discovered biology, history and english and even though he wasn’t good at talking in that foreign language it didn’t matter much, in school they mostly learned theory anyways. It was clear to him that he was a smart kid but soon it all became a bit more difficult as he found another passion that was soccer. Not just that but hanging out with friends and playing all kinds of sports intrigued Seungri so studying and doing his homework became of less importance, being the social butterfly the teenager was. It was hard to keep up with school and holding up his grades. 

It was when Seungri started dancing that said grades dropped, they weren’t bad at all but he wasn’t one of the top students anymore either. He was just somewhere in the middle.

 

Seungri absolutely loved socializing. Hanging out with friends every day was a must or else he would feel drained. He was the epitome of an extrovert.

The boy was friends with everyone at school too, there was no one that hated him, or at least he had never noticed. He also never got bullied; sure, he underwent some teasing but who didn’t, right? You could say he was somewhat popular for his outgoing way with people.

So yes, he had many friends but Seungri was missing something essential: a best friend. 

If you asked him he had many best friends but none of those thought of him as the same. He was nobody’s number one, he had always simply been somewhere in the middle.

 

Joining YG had been the best decision of Seungri’s life. Before that he had tried so hard to become an idol on different programs but the people there didn’t seem to like him very much. They started telling lies about him, made him look bad. At some point everyone thought he was lazy and disrespectful when in reality he trained just as hard as anyone else. Eventually he got cut from one program after another and he figured it was never their intention to actually give him a chance.

Then, when he thought everything was lost, YG himself gave him an opportunity to try again. It was  yet another program, a show where Seungri had to to give it his all to join the band Bigbang.

But Seungri just wasn’t talented enough. He was an okay singer but he wasn’t great. He was a good dancer but he was never good enough. His personality was acceptable but not outstanding. He was somewhere in the middle.

 

In the end, after being cut from the program again at first, Seungri made it. If there was something the boy was good at with his measly fifteen years, it was being persistent. He was so happy when he was chosen by YG back then but that didn’t last long because even though he now was in a band, that didn’t change the fact that he wasn’t talented. 

Daesung, the ever smiling Daesung, was what Seungri wanted to be like. He was an exceptional singer and incredibly funny. He was so young yet already had a body to die for. 

And Youngbae. Seungri also wanted to be like him. His voice made everybody melt and his dancing skills were what Seungri always had dreamt of. 

He wished he could’ve been like big Seunghyun too. His deep voice and beautiful face was a definite guarantee for success and the way he so effortlessly rapped, how could you not be envious?

But mostly, Seungri wished he could’ve been more like Jiyong. Jiyong was so damn talented, he could write several songs per day, his slender and flexible body danced like it had no boundaries, his rapping skills were over the top and just everything about him was unique in a way that made Seungri believe that Jiyong would definitely make it far.

Seungri, though, was like neither of them. He felt like he couldn’t say that any of his traits were needed in Bigbang, he was never the best at anything. He felt like a filler, someone that held the fifth spot in the band to make the other four look good. 

Seungri wasn’t bad at anything but he wasn’t talented either - he was somewhere in the lonely middle.

 

Just as expected, all of this prove itself throughout his life. 

Fans weren’t particularly dazzled by Seungri’s singing or dancing, his face or his behavior; if anything their reactions to him were lukewarm. Of course he had fans whom he loved unconditionally and did everything for. But in the end it didn’t change the fact that his number of fans couldn’t compete with those of his band members and it didn’t take long for Seungri to despise his unexciting self, he felt like he was weighing down the band. It wasn’t like he was hated, though sometimes it seemed that that wasn’t uncommon for him either, but mostly people just didn’t care about him which, in Seungri’s opinion, was even worse than being hated. Well, what could he say, he wasn’t that important after all, he was just somewhere in the middle.

 

But it wasn’t like he hated his life, not at all! He was an extrovert and a optimistic one at that, he wouldn’t let people ruin his career as if he wasn’t worth anything. Sure, he wasn’t a talented idol, so what? That didn’t mean he wasn’t able to try out going to university, investing in brands or opening restaurants. Naturally it all came with ups and downs, the road of his success was defined by trial and error but he made it, just look at him with his fifteen ramen restaurants and his record label, which was starting to do way better by the way. It had a difficult start.

Okay, yes, he wasn’t doing as well as he had hoped but he was doing well enough, to him nothing came easy, everything he did he had to put way more effort in than people probably thought and even then if someone else from his band did it, simply with their name as an advertise, it would be more successful. That had never stopped Seungri however, he just k

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter