Autumn Rain

Rainy Day Muse

Writer’s block is normal. It happens to everyone. Every writer has dealt with it, including himself. He just wished it wasn’t happening right now. He really needed to finish writing this song. It had to be sent out by 2:00am to a producer he’d been coordinating with. But from the way his day was going, Yongguk could tell he would be up until about that time. He pushed his laptop aside and rubbed his tired eyes. He only slept three hours last night. He went to bed at midnight after filming a V-Live show with s. He then woke up a few hours later to put some more work into the song. But now it seemed like it was all for nothing. He sighed and tilted his head; first left, then right. There was a dull ache at the base of his neck. Probably from the way he fell asleep on the couch. He couldn’t even make it to his bed last night. He glanced over at his computer. The few words on the screen glared at him. They reminded him that there was still much to be done. He needed a break. If he stared at that screen any longer, he would throw his computer across the room. Air. He needed to get out of that stuffy studio and breathe in some fresh air. He decided that he would go for a ride on his scooter. He wasn’t quite sure where he wanted to end up, but he desperately hoped his ride would lead him past his writer’s block. 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The skies were gray. Normally, such a sight would only worsen his mood, but the autumn leaves looked pretty against the neutral backdrop. It made him think of one of those canvases where the point of the painting was to notice the colors that only became more vibrant when painted across a very monotone base. Yongguk enjoyed the feel of the crisp air. It wasn’t cold enough to bring out his winter coat, but he couldn’t go around in only a t-shirt either. Before he left, he decided to wear his dark jean jacket over his deep mauve cable-knit sweater. Despite the slight chill that whizzed by whenever he accelerated, he felt warm. 
He came to a stop at a red light. While awaiting the “go ahead” traffic signal, he looked over to his left. Something smelled delicious. He saw a small stall on a corner. A group of people were lined up to purchase the ambrosia-inducing delicacies. If only he noticed it earlier, he would have made sure to guide his scooter into the lane adjacent that corner. Unfortunately, he was three lanes too far and he didn’t feel like driving around again. The light changed and he continued forward, leaving the stall and its precious goodies behind. Now that he thought about it, he was hungry. He didn’t eat much the night prior, and the only meal he ate today was a slice of bread with a light smattering of Nutella. Maybe he would try out a new restaurant today. Nothing fancy, but nothing too quick either. Some place with a nice atmosphere and good food. 
Yongguk decided to take the next right onto a narrower road. Quite a few restaurants lined this tucked away corner of Itaewon. An Indian restaurant, a Chinese restaurant, an Italian restaurant all presented themselves as options to satiate his appetite. Still, Yongguk wasn’t quite ready to park his scooter. He wanted to see what else was there. He felt a few droplets on his sleeve as he continued to drive. He didn’t check the forecast before going out on his escapade, but from the overcast sky and the increasing amount of water drops sliding down his helmet, Yongguk knew it was going to rain. He decided to park at the restaurant nearest him. He shut off the engine and slid off his helmet. He pulled a cover out of the small compartment at the back of his scooter. He used it to protect his bike from the ensuing downpour, and then walked further down the street. The rain began to come harder now. He needed to quickly choose a spot to dry off in. He passed a Toma Tilla Pub. The place looked quaint and from what he saw on the menu, the food looked even better. It was settled. He would go inside and have lunch while waiting for the rain to pass. Yongguk quickly reached to open the door, but then retracted his hand just as fast. Gentle musical notes caused him to pause. He looked in the direction of the music and saw a small doorway surrounded by gray bricks. He looked above the entryway and saw a sign that read, “All That Jazz”. So he was next to a jazz bar, he thought to himself. Yongguk looked back at the Toma Tilla menu that sat proudly on display. He then glanced back at the jazz bar. He wasn’t sure how good the food at an entertainment spot would be, but he was willing to give it a try if it meant he got to enjoy a show. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The inside of the lounge was quite cozy. The surrounding walls were covered in windows and sandstone-colored bricks. A seating area made up of wooden tables and leather chairs lay spread out before him. In the back bookcases filled with various stories stood tall in what Yongguk assumed to be a min-library. A bar sat in the adjacent corner, and above him was a balcony where diners could freely talk and eat while having a good view of the stage at the forefront of the lounge. The tinkling of a piano, the vibrations of the bass, the seductive moans of a saxophone, forks clinking on plates, and low murmurs with interjections of laughter all enticed Yongguk further in. There was a buzz of activity, but it wasn’t overwhelming. A feeling of warmth seemed to resonate off the walls. 
“Will you be dining alone tonight?”
Yongguk shook himself from his thoughts and focused on the young man in front of him. The host looked to be the same age as Daehyun. The man wore a relaxed smile on his face and a glint of mirth shown from his eyes. Yongguk smiled softly and nodded. 
“Yes. Do you have any spots for just one?”
“Absolutely! Would you like a table on the main floor or do you prefer to sit in the balcony?”
“Main floor is fine. Thanks”
The host led Yongguk to a table not too far from the stage. He poured Yongguk a glass of water and placed a menu in front of him. 
“Your waitress will come by shortly. In the meantime, can I offer you any wine? If you’re interested in an Argentine Red, I highly recommend the Trivento Mabec. It’s a wine with a deep red color, an aroma of ripe red fruits and coffee, and it pairs great with flavorful meals.”
The host held a cork before Yongguk and he leaned in to get a whiff of the red fruits the host mentioned. He picked up hints of strawberries and cherries along with a robust aroma of espresso.
“I’d like to try this one.” 
“Excellent choice! I’ll have your waiter bring it right over.”
With a short bow and a smile, the young host disappeared. Yongguk looked around while waiting for his waiter. He saw couples sharing intimate conversations. He spotted small groups huddled around the table sharing food and boisterous laughter. He also happened to see a few solo diners who sat quietly observing their surroundings like himself. He was glad he came. The atmosphere was nice. Yongguk felt all the tension from before steadily seep out of his bones. This would be a cool place to bring his mom or siblings to. It had been awhile since he last spent time with his family. He would love to engage in relaxed chatter with them over a hot meal. 
“Hello! My name is Lee Chul Hoon, and I’ll be your waiter for this evening. I understand that you chose the Trivento Mabec, so I brought it along with me.” 
The waiter revealed the large bottle of wine. He uncorked it and began to pour it in a glass that was already on the table.  Yongguk watched as the deep red liquid cascaded down into the translucent cup. From the way it looked, he could tell it would have a very rich taste.
“Are you ready to order?”
Yongguk nodded and ordered the smoked salmon steak with ricotta cheese salad. The waiter jotted down quick notes and vanished as suddenly as he appeared. Now that his line of vision was clear, Yongguk could see that the stage crew (if you could call two guys that) was gearing up for another act. The previous trio had left and the stage was now being rearranged. A large piano was brought out and a lone mic stood at the center. The next performer would be a vocalist. This meant that more attention would be given to the stage. Yongguk was mildly eager to see who the singer would be. Just as his plate was being placed before him, an ahjussi with a receding hairline came to the microphone. 
“That was the Aaron Choulai Trio everyone. They will return in a couple weeks for our Tickling the Ivories series. But tonight, we will continue with our Evening of Colors and welcome Maria Kim to the stage.”
The audience clapped as a tall woman with long dark hair walked up the stairs to the stage. Yongguk watched as she ever so elegantly took her place in front of the mic. She was stunning to say the least. She had eyes shaped like the sun sitting on the horizon. Her sloped nose ended with a fine point. And when she smiled, her cheeks looked like they held cherry tomatoes inside. 
Yongguk was so enamored by her presence that he missed her introduction. He, however, did not miss her voice. (Play this song for the full experience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KXwm2d4X1k ). A few of the piano signaled that the song began. She started slowly. One syllable escaped her lips and Yongguk was spellbound. Her voice carried across the room with each carefully thought out note. The melodic dips paired with the crescendos of her high notes took him to another place. He imagined sitting in the clearing of a forest decorated by reds, yellows, burnt oranges, and deep purples. In front of him was a canvas. Each brought into existence a picture that mirrored his surroundings. He heard the gentle rushes of a nearby stream and felt the wind play with his hair. In his painting, stood a lone figure; but it wasn’t his. The person gazing up towards the trees was the woman who invoked this imagery; his muse. Her tall figure was now dwarfed by the large trees. But her presence still filled up the page. She was the focal point. The onlooker could not help but have their attention drawn to her. Her skirt flowed in much the same way that her long strands did. Her nimble fingers gently held onto a fallen leaf. She looked so lively in his painting, it was as if he could reach out and touch her. The song switched to include playful notes that melded with the vocalist’s scats. Suddenly Yongguk imagined himself walking in a park after the sun had set. The street lamps lit his path. They also set the figure of a woman who walked ahead of him aglow. It was his muse again. Each light step she took looked as if she was dancing to a methodic beat. Her hips swayed gently and her arms swung rhythmically. She turned to look at him over her shoulder and gave him a dazzling smile. She signaled for him to join her, and Yongguk smiled in return. 
The song ended with soft staccato notes accompanied by the smooth croon of her voice. Suddenly, the place was engulfed in applause. Yongguk looked down at his plate. A few small crumbs and smeared sauce were the only bits left. He didn’t realize he finished his entire meal. He was hungrier than he thought. He turned his attention back to the stage and was taken aback. The vocalist met eyes with him and smiled. It was just like in his daydream. Yongguk smiled back and clapped. She bowed and then thanked the crowd before moving off stage. 
Yongguk paid the bill and headed for the exit. Before leaving he stopped by the host’s table. 
“Hi, do you by chance know how often that vocalist comes here?”
“She comes by occasionally, but I can’t say with certainty when she will be here again. I recommend you check our website for the performance schedule. You can also follow her social media account.”
“Ah, I’ll do that. Thanks.”
The two men bowed and Yongguk stepped out into the brisk night air. He felt that his writer’s block was finally gone. He had a renewed inspiration to finish his song.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A couple days later, Yongguk was painting in his home studio when his phone suddenly began to vibrate. He grabbed the damp rag that lay at the edge of a nearby table. He quickly wiped the paint from his hands before grabbing his phone. He slid his finger across the screen and then tapped the button for the speaker. 
“Annyeong?”
“Hey, Yongguk it’s Andrew. I didn’t catch you at a bad time, did I?”
“Ani, now’s good. What did you think of the song?”
“I love it! The jazz rhythm blends well with the rest of the album. It eases the listener into the following tracks. It makes for an excellent starter song! Just out of curiosity, what do you plan to call it?”
Yongguk glanced at his canvas. On it was the exact image he saw that day when he visited the jazz bar. The woman in the center was the reason he could complete his song by 9PM and get a good night’s rest. She calmed him and excited him all at the same time. He was grateful to her and looked forward to seeing her when she returned to perform in two months. He anticipated the new adventures she would conjure up for him. Until then, he’d let their brief encounter remain a source of inspiration. 
“I call it Rainy Day Muse.”