Rose 4 You

Jongup Storyventure

This story is for Heather, who wished for it a while back. I hope you enjoy it^^

 


 

            We were merrily strolling around, having the sun gently warm up my scalp and reflect on my hair. I told my friend behind me to stop and felt the usual yank I got when someone brought my wheelchair to a halt.

            “Let’s take a picture of that” I said, pointing at the fountain in front of us with my chin. It was huge, with the statue of an angel holding a harp in the middle, water shooting out of its mouth. My friend held up the camera and pressed the release a few times, until she was satisfied with her photo.

            “Should I take one of you next to that fountain too?” she offered, to which I couldn’t say no. So she placed me right in front of it, where I could feel the cool air around the water on my cheeks that were lighting up with a smile. She went a few steps away, then took another round of pictures.

            “You look beautiful when you’re this happy” she commented as she returned to me.

            “You think so…?” I asked, having another inevitable smile show up on my face. “I can’t help it that I’m happy – I finally get to see them!” My friend chuckled.

            “Well, what do you think how I feel?” Suddenly, she showed a shocked expression. “Do you think they’ll do ‘Body&Soul’?”

            “Oh dear lord, I hope not” I laughed. That would be the death for all of us. “But I am hoping for ‘One Shot’.”

            “How could they leave out ‘One Shot’?” my friend questioned. “Oh, but I seriously hope they do ‘Moondance’!”

            “Are you crazy?!” I shouted. “We’re all gonna die if they do ‘Moondance’!”

            “We all die anyway…” I heard a familiar voice silently comment next to me and judging by my friend’s shocked expression I was right about who I thought that was.

            “I’m sorry!” I blurted out, giving the man a look with wide eyes.

            “Ah, no, it’s okay…” Jongup replied, waving both his hands and bowing. He quite obviously felt uncomfortable about the situation. Then he squinted and seemed to be thinking for a while, before asking in slightly awkward English, “Are you coming… tonight?” Me and my friend nodded. “Ahhh” he said. “Then I will see you!” He waved at us and gave us both a smile, before walking away. So they were doing some sightseeing too before the show in the evening…

 

            At the concert venue we were led to our special places in the first row, at the left side of the stage. I could feel my heart racing, even though I wasn’t sure why. I didn’t have to perform today, I just had to watch. Still I was nervous. My friend reached out to grab my hand that was loosely resting in my lap.

            “Our dream is about to come true” she whispered, staring at the stage as the lights were dimmed and the crowd started cheering, holding up their lightsticks and filling the hall with a familiar green. They started with some heavy energizing songs, such as ‘Young, Wild & Free’, ‘Badman’, ‘Ribbon In The Sky’, and also ‘One Shot’, that we’ve both been waiting for, before moving on to a calmer part of the set. I kept watching them intently, marveling at their bodies as they danced and sang, showing nothing but perfection. Then they soon announced a break, after conversing with the audience in the best English they could muster, and countless of us shouting things back in broken Korean. Then they came back, dressed in white suits, all having a red rose attached to them.

            “Oh no, they look like during ‘Skydive’-era…” I heard my friend gasp. They really did, but somewhat more graceful. Fitting to their outfits, a song I had listened to countless times started playing. By the time it was moving to the first chorus, I was singing along as loudly as I could. ‘Diamond 4 Ya’ has been my favourite of their songs ever since it was released. So the joy I felt upon getting to experience it live was overwhelming. It turned out that they loosened up their formation for the last refrain, all walking around at the edge of the stage, making eye contact with a few lucky BABYz. Yongguk passed us by, sending a wink in our direction, resulting in me almost getting a heart attack. After him followed Jongup, who ended up dancing right in front of me until the end of the song, where they all got down on one knee and took out the roses. Jongup looked at me. Did he recognize me…? He held out the rose, dropping it into my lap while he gave me one of his brightest smiles. My heart was beating fast, almost bursting out of my chest, and I could feel a sudden warmth from his actions.

            “Thank you” I mouthed, smiling back, as he got up, walking to the middle of the stage for the next song.