Final

Ran away to Runaway

“How is University?” Bobby asks Minjung who is busy writing her final dissertation paper that is due in a few weeks time. Her diploma is depending on this final paper and Minjung badly wants to pass this as flawlessly as possible. 

“University is great! Thanks for asking Jiwon” she says with a laugh. No hint of sarcasm present. Bobby visibly smiles widely upon hearing his birth name being used.

It has been so long since he has heard anyone call him that. Bobby wonders when was the last time someone called him Jiwon. He shrugs at the thought. Probably longer than  the expired food in their fridge back at the dorm. 


Bobby pulls her in a back hug, not even catching her off guard. Minjung knows how tired Bobby is, how exhausted he must feel with all the solo promotions he has been doing. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to conclude that this man, her best friend is out of his wits.
Locking her fingers in his newly dyed light brown hair, Minjung looks sadly at Bobby. She reaches her free hand towards his cheek and instantly notices how his cheeks have deflated. His jaw line more prominent than before and how tired his eyes look with bags around them. Minjung traces her fingertips along his features and only a pained smile was the thing she can offer. 


Bobby closes his eyes at the contact. Ohh how badly he has been craving for some sort of attention from a person who does not see him as Bobby. Someone who knows him as Jiwon and not that guy who is in iKON. Not as that idol who dropped his new solo album that ranked number 2 on world charts.

 

Opening his eyes, Bobby smiles at his best friend who is probably the only person that he wants to be with for the next years of his life.


“Remember when we were driving around before I debuted? That night where we found that isolated beach?”. He inquires and a smile simultaneously appeared on their lips. Snuggling closer to Bobby, Minjung allows him to wrap his muscular arms around her “How can I forget?”. Her words made him laugh. It always did amaze him how a person like him could have a person like her within arms reach.
 
Bobby has indeed a lot to be thankful for and he knows this.
His brothers in iKON, the family he has, not to mention YG family and now his solo career. Bobby knows he is blessed but it scares him that somehow, right at this moment, even while preparing for his solo debut, Bobby is having thoughts of regretting his decision in becoming an idol.


He often finds himself awake at 3 am in the morning inside his studio thinking rather than composing songs. Bobby remembers splashing his face with the water from the bottle beside his laptop while his eyes focused in on Minjung’s framed photo on the desk . He wonders how she is doing at school and how her grades are and that made him fantasize about him being a normal 22 year old.


Going to university and worrying about his GPA. Missing deadlines for projects but asking for an extension. Courting girls, dating and getting dumped. Drinking all night every Friday and just let loose after a stressful school week.
 
All those simple stuff but unattainable because of his status as an idol.
 
​“I know you’re busy but I would love it if you come to my graduation in two weeks. I mean not like be there physically but just….. you know, maybe a call? Or if you’re free at the evening, maybe you can come with me and a few close friends and drink a round or two.” Her wary voice triggers his conscience. She know how busy he is and he feels awful that it’s affecting her that much. What a best friend he is. Awesome. Just awesome.
 
​“I wish it’ll be just like before.” He says with a slightly pained tone. Minjung sighs. She cant do anything than to pull Bobby closer. “Don’t tell me you’re regretting this Bobby” seriousness was evident In her voice.


Minjung will honestly feel a slight spite against Bobby if he ever regrets his decision. Although he does not need to know that. 

She has supported him all throughout those years. Endured hearing his sobs night after night because he was missing his family. Minjung spent most of her time encouraging Bobby, saying that there is nothing wrong with what he is doing. Chasing his dreams was not wrong. 
Wanting to give your family a better life even if you’re thousands of miles away from them in another country is not wrong.
 
In her eyes, Bobby never did anything wrong. But Jiwon did. A few years back, he did. 

-

 
​“Why would you do something so ing reckless?!” Minjung yells at Sohee while shoving her shoulder lightly. The latter gave her a glare. 

“What’s it to you?! It doesn’t even concern you Minjung! Stop meddling in with My relationship with Jiwon!”.

Minjung wanted to slap her. Break her neck and leave her weeping on the floor while dragging Jiwon away from this . She over-heard Sohee on the phone with a friend when she was about to ask if she wanted to come with them to the airport to send Jiwon off.
Her mind went hazy. Jiwon, her best friend is leaving in a few days again to go back to Korea and then he comes home to this news? 


Sohee hasn’t even considered telling Jiwon the situation that took place four years ago. The year when Jiwon first left ia to chase his dreams.
 
“You aborted Your child with Jiwon! How could you be o heartless Sohee?! Jiwon loves you! And he still does! How can you do this to him?!” Minjung shrieks and Sohee just gives her a smirk and a laugh.


“Face it Minjung, you’re being like that because you love Jiwon but sadly he will never be yours. He only has eyes for me. But you know what? Jiwon will be too much to handle. Once he’s an idol, he will forget everything, even you so just stop it and face reality. Jiwon wont ever love you so just get lost Minjung.”
 
Words. These were just mere words that was spoken by a like her but it caught her off guard.
 
“Did you even once loved him? Did you ever consider his feelings about your so called relationship and the baby that you two were supposed to have? You don’t deserve him Sohee. You don’t deserve anything at all.” Minjung turns to leave but Sohee grips her wrists and spins her around. Sohee manipulated the situation as she saw Jiwon standing over the door frame so she grabs Minjung’s hand and slaps herself with it. Making sure to present it in a believable way for Jiwon’s eyes.
 
“Success” she whispers as Jiwon enters the door with force, yanking Minjung’s so called hand that slapped Sohee.
 
Jiwon was crazy about Sohee. He was head over heels for her.
“What do you think you’re doing?!” he angrily asks and Minjung looks with a confused gazeas Sohee suddenly clutches her cheek and sobs onto Jiwon’s chest. The man holding her protectively.
 
“I knew about your feelings Minjung but I never thought you were this low! To the point of you hitting Sohee! How could you?!”
 
Those were the words that broke her completely. She was quickly disregarded in his world as soon as Sohee is visible. Minjung glares at Bobby. Fighting back the tears that longs to seep out of her eyes.


“You know nothing Jiwon. Are you even aware that after you left, she was carrying your child then had it aborted?! Huh Jiwon?! Do You?!” frustration rose as Jiwon looks at Minung, then to Sohee then to Minjung once agin.
 
“She’s Lying Jiwon! You know how she is! She’s desperate! She wants us separated Jiwon!” 

Jiwon desperately looks at the two women. Not wanting to believe anything. 
It was too much for him to comprehend. 

Minjung looks at the two of them before shaking her head and turning to leave but Jiwon grabs her wrist a little too tight. 

"You-" Jiwon starts. Heaving a huge breath. "You have no right to hit Sohee." 

Minjung keeps quiet. Visibly rolling her eyes at him. How pathetic this scene was. 

"Anything else?" She beckons him to continue. 

"I can't consider you as my best friend anymore" his words made her world stop. A painful clench in her chest sprung. 

"Fine" 

And with that, she releases her wrist from his grip and turns away. Forcing herself not to look back. 

-

Jiwon feels horrible at what happened a few years back. Looking at the girl inside his arms right now is agonizing just imagining how she must've felt during that time. 

"Let's go for a ride?" Minjung suggests with a smile. Bobby can't stop himself from smiling. Taking her hands in his large ones. 

Buying drinks and settling themselves at the back of Minjung's pick up, Bobby pops a bottle open and hands it to her. Gradually taking the drink. 


"Jiwon " she calls out to him softly. Resting her head on his broad chest. Jiwon secured an arm around her while holding a beer on the other. 

"Hmm?"


These are the moments he lives for. The kind of moments that he needs to keep himself going. 

A moment wherein he is Jiwon. 
Not Bobby. 

Moments wherein he feels as if this girl in his arms is his and his alone. 

Moments wherein he loves her even more.  But sadly, he's too late and too foolish and it costed him his world. 

-

A bar in downtown Seoul was rented out to Minjung's closest friends and family who was there to celebrate her graduation. 

Bobby wouldn't miss it for the world. He adjusts his cap and enters, looking for Minjung Immediately. Spotting her at the middle of the dance floor talking to some guests, Bobby cooly walks towards her and taps her shoulder. 

Turning to face the man who tapped her, Minjung immediately smiles and envelops him into a hug. Kissing his cheeks multiple times. 

"Hey thanks for coming! I knew you would come!" Bobby smiles and just hugs her even more. 

"Can we talk?" Bobby motions to the 2nd floor of the club where rooms are located. Away from the party and the noise. 

"So what do you want to talk about?" She asks and Bobby closes the door behind him and sits on a couch while rubbing his palm over his face. 

Minjung walks closer and sits next to him. 

"I love you" 

He breathes out and Minjung's heart skipped. 

"I know Jiwon. I know" she rubs his back soothingly. 

"I'm sorry for everything. When i came after you after that scene with Sohee, I didn't know what i would do without you" he cofesses. 


"Jiwon look at me". She requests and he follows. Lifting his head up. 
He looks at her and his eyes drops to her lips and without thinking, he leans in and pulls her in a kiss. 

Jiwon's lips caressing her soft ones tenderly. Minjung , much to his surprise, kisses him back and Jiwon wanted to cry. 

He has longed for this so much to the point of making him insane. It really did drove him to insanity. 

Jiwon's world soon crumbles when she pulls away. 

"I love you too Jiwon, you know that. I love you so much but-" 

She hugs him tightly as if saying 'I'm sorry' 

"But Jaewon, you know about me and him. We've been together for years and he knows about us being best friends. Jiwon, i love you but Jaewon ... He was there, he has dedicated himself to me and i love him for that. He loves me too Jiwon. I hope you understand" 

Minjung looks at her best friend sadly but leans in to place one last kiss on his lips. 

"Jaewon proposed Jiwon, I'm getting married"

And that is how Jiwon finds himself at a Wedding hall. Bearing witness to Minjung and Jaewon's vow of love and loyalty. 

It was his fault. He can't blame Jaewon for loving what he tossed away. 

Right now, Bobby is happy for them. 

Bobby no longer wants to runaway. 

But Jiwon, Jiwon is crumbling. 

Jiwon wants to leave right at this second. 

Jiwon is broken. 
And he blames himself for not being the one who is standing at the front with Minjung, swearing his love and devotion to her. 

Bobby is finally contented but Jiwon Is not.