The First Day

Living with Yoo

Kihyun pads out on bare feet towards the bathroom, the early morning light shining through the cracks in the curtains. He quietly closes the door behind him, shooting a single look over his shoulder at the lank, unmoving form still tangled up in the sheets. He chuckles fondly under his breath at the familiar sight, and continues on his way to the shower.

 

Hyungwon stirs awake to the blissfully familiar hums filling the room. The tone is soft and light, but it’s enough to bring a smile to his face the first thing in the morning. The younger man turns on his other side, opening his eyes slightly. His smile only grows at seeing Kihyun fiddling with his hair in the mirror.

Kihyun pauses, as if feeling the pair of eyes on him, and turns to glance at his husband. A brilliant, dazzling smile breaks out over his face at seeing the bleary-eyed stare, finding it utterly adorable. He walks over to the bed, abandoning his pruning for now, and sits next to his love. Hyungwon moves over slightly to use the older’s lap as a pillow, and Kihyun instinctively begins to card his fingers through his hair.

“Good morning, love,” Hyungwon mumbles, snuggling closer to the shorter male. Kihyun hums in reply, his eyes shining. He wishes he could just spend all day in bed with the younger, just cuddling and enjoying the comfortable silence that always manages to seep its way into moments such as these. However, he knows better. Today’s a big day, and it needs to get started soon, or else they’ll all run late.

“I need to go cook breakfast,” Kihyun sighs defeatedly. He leans forward, pressing his lips against the younger’s in a gentle kiss. Hyungwon hums, a hand coming up to hold onto the back of Kihyun’s neck to hold him close just for a moment longer. Kihyun chuckles, and gives Hyungwon another kiss before prying himself away. Hyungwon makes a small, whining noise in his throat, but it doesn’t get him what he wants. Kihyun merely chuckles and climbs off the bed.

Hyungwon watches the way his husband teasingly swings his hips this way and that. He groans as he rolls back on the bed, throwing an arm over his eyes.

 

After cooking up a breakfast like none other, Kihyun leaves the kitchen in turn for his next task. He makes his way quietly to his sons’ room, his heart beating a little faster at the adorable sight of his dear children bundled up in their blankets. He goes over to Jooheon’s bed first, as he takes longer to wake up usually.

“Jooheonney~” he calls sweetly, pulling back the boy’s covers a little to reveal his chubby face. Jooheon grumbles in his sleep and turns on his other side, clearly not wanting to awaken just yet. Kihyun smiles fondly, but continues to pester his son anyway. He pulls the covers back even further and pulls the boy up by his arm, humming lowly.

“Eomma…” Jooheon mumbles I protest, opening his eyes ever so slightly. “Don’t make me wake up. Please, Eomma. Let me sleep.” Kihyun coos, tightening his hold around the seven year-old.

“Sorry, Heonney,” he says softly, “but you have to wake up today. School’s starting again today. Don’t you want to see your friends?” Jooheon hums in response, his arms finally moving from under the covers to wrap themselves around the man’s waist. Kihyun chuckles under his breath, and stands with a sigh to set his son on the floor.

“Why don’t you go make sure Appa is awake?” he prompts, gently pushing the boy towards the open door. Jooheon nods, and rubs at his eyes as he shuffles away. Kihyun shakes his head as he turns his attention to his second son, his adorable little baby.

“Changkyunnie…” Kihyun prompts in a singsong voice, setting a hand on his shoulder. The five year-old turns to face his father, an adorable pout adorning his lips. He scoots down further into his covers, pulling them up over his head. Kihyun has to fight back a coo at this as he reaches to pull the covers back down. “Kyunnie, baby, you need to wake up.”

“I don’t wanna, Eomma,” he whines, his voice still muffled by the blankets. “I wanna stay home today, with you. Can I stay home with you?” It’s all Kihyun has to keep from leaning down and taking the boy in his arms to just hug him and hold him close and keep the inevitable from happening.

“Sorry, Kkungie,” he says, “but you need to get up. You’re starting school today.” He pauses at the whine that follows, and he sighs in defeat as he pulls the covers fully off his son and plucks him from the mattress. Changkyun groans in protest, but only wraps his chubby little arms around the man’s neck. “What happened? You were so excited last night,” he asks as he carries the boy out of the room.

“I’m so tired…” is all the boy mutters in reply. Kihyun tightens his hold on the boy, resting his cheek against the top of Changkyun’s head.

“Just eat some breakfast, Kyunnie,” he suggests as they come to the table. He sets his son down in his usual chair, and sits down beside him. He glances towards the hall, hoping Jooheon hadn’t wandered into his and Hyungwon’s bedroom just to fall asleep next to his father…

 

“Aappaaaaaa,” Jooheon calls, poking at Hyungwon’s back. Hyungwon turns and can’t help but smile at the sight of his older son, despite the boy now being responsible for him being permanently awake. He reaches out and brushes the long bangs out of the boy’s eyes with gentle fingers. Jooheon leans into the touch, pouting a bit. “Appa, Eomma told me to make sure you were awake.”

“I’m awake, Heonney,” Hyungwon affirms. He forces himself to sit up with a sigh, and slowly slings his legs out from under the covers and over the side of the bed. He pushes himself up out of bed with a heavy breath, ruffling his son’s hair as before taking his hand and walking with him out of the room. He shuffles through the hall with his son and into the kitchen, an easy smile coming to him at seeing his husband sitting at the table with their younger son.

“Ahhh, there they are,” Kihyun comments, his eyes twinkling teasingly as he speaks. Hyungwon chuckles lowly as he takes his seat next to the older. Jooheon climbs up into his seat next to his brother, and slowly begins to eat. Hyungwon and Kihyun share a glance, their hearts growing at having their family eating together. It’s something that happens every morning, granted, but it’s the perfect way to start the day… and a way both fathers hope the rest of their days start.

 

After breakfast, Kihyun hurries the boys back to their room to get them dressed. Hyungwon chuckles amusedly at the older man’s nearing-frantic energy, and slowly stands to put the dishes into the sink.