Chapter 3

Destiny of Love

 

It had been more than twenty minutes that he had been staring into that drawing. Drawing of lilies. I was shock to find him standing in front of this drawing. But the lillies; those were the things between Pilkyo and Dongwan , and after all, those were just the dreams I got every night. But still, I was afraid if there was something between that dream and us; Hyesung and me, but at the same time, I was curious to find out the connection too. Now that Hyesung had been looking into the drawing which was one of the items in my dream, I was a little freak out. What was he thinking while watching the drawing?? Who were in his thoughts?? What would occupy his thoughts?? I found myself so pathetic on how I desperately want to share the same feeling with him and how I want to be able to know what he is  thinking. Oh, Eric Mun , you seriously fell in love deeply with this man.

"Eric ah, do you know the symbolism of Lily flowers??" His voice was soft but for me, it was enough to get cold sweat. That question.....

"Do you know??" He turned his head to me. His face was showing absolute clueless, no signs of asking me for hints.

"Lilies......" I cleared my throat,"....symbolize Humility and Devotion." 

"They symbolize Humility and Devotion."   

I could hear Pilkyo's explanation. Hyesung turned his focus to the drawing back. After being silent about a minute, he dropped out a question again, staring to me "How do you know??"

What should I say?? Should I say because the guy who had same face like you told me in a dream?? Nah, it sounds so stupid. Should I lie and say him that because I studied about plants?? But what happened if he asked me about other flowers. I know nothing though.

"I heard it from somewhere " Finally I just answered him simply.

"Awwww..." he replied me just that and turned his head back.

A creepy silence fell between us again. 

"I like this drawing. Let's buy this one." Just like this, our conversation in art exhibition came to end.

The way back from exhibition hall was awkwardly silent. I was not originally talkative person, but I really disliked this kind of silence. "Hyesung ya, do you want something to eat?? It's already noon now." He didn't reply me back anything, still keeping his eyes fit to the outside . Only after long deep silence, " Take me to my apartment please." He said weakly.

 

"Sateeve??"

"Steve!!"

"But sir, no one is here with that name." Dongwan replied back naively. " Don't pretend like you don't know! You work here and how can you not know him??" The man who wore full-European suit grabbed Dongwan by his shirt column. 

"Let him go!!" The sharp voice came out. The man let go of Dongwan. Dongwan coughed a little and was managing to catch some breath when Young master Pilkyo arrived beside them. 

"Young...young master..." Pilkyo looked at him for once and then, " ..follow me!" he said to the well-suit man. Dongwan was left alone at the scene.

"Steve? What was that?? I never knew he had that name. And that man. Who was he?? I don't feel any good vibe from him." Dongwan was lost in thought. "Huuuuuu...." he sighed..."of course, I am not a place or level to know anything about him. What was I expecting for? Hahahha..." he let out the dry laugh. "Ahh...I don't care anymore." He lied down on the grass and fell  asleep. 

"What? It's evening already?? I am so dead." Dongwan groaned when he woke up from his nap. "Oh my!!!!!" He flapped back when he saw Young master Pilkyo was sitting next to him. 

"Young master, I ..I..." he immediately bowed down to say sorry from sleeping during nap time.

"I am sorry." Before he could finish his word, Pilkyo interrupted him.

"Huh??" Dongwan was bewildered. "Oh, why would you?? I am sorry that I took sleep during working time. I am sorry. Now excuse me." He bowed hurriedly and was about to leave when Pilkyo ordered him "Sit down here. I need someone to talk."

"I didn't know he was asking about you. " Dongwan said.

"I know. Not many know about my name, Pilkyo."

"Huh??" Dongwan was surprised. He thought many wouldn't know about the name Steve, but tuned out reversed. Why would not many know about the name Pilkyo though?? Even though no matter they were ruled over by Japan and many impressed Japan or Western countries and named or lived like them, still so many named Korean names though. 

"Steve Jung. My father named me that when he enrolled me to school." By school, Dongwan knew so well that it was not mere governmental school. Since after Japan took all authority, Korean teachers were forced out of their jobs, because they wanted to suppress Korean culture and Teaching. 

"Father was afraid they would harm me from my Korean name." He explained. Dongwan nodded even though he did not understand entirely though. They kept silent for a few minutes. 

"Young master, would you mind if I ask you something??" Pilkyo nodded. Dongwan breathed deeply before asking, Thinking whether he should ask or not, afraid that he would invade other personal case or crossing line. "You can ask anything." Whatever, Pilkyo assured him.

"Are..are you doing something dangerous Young master??" He let out the question softly. Pilkyo went stiff and silent. "! What a lousy mouth Kim Dongwan." He mentally cursed himself. 

"I..." he went stiff immediately when he heard Pilkyo let out the voice, "..I never thought what I am doing is dangerous." He smiled. But Dongwan knew that in that smile, he hid so many secrets. And they went quiet once again.

"Do you know what my name means??" Dongwan was quick startled by Pilkyo's sudden question. He shook his head. 

"Nation; Jung. Help; Pil and Teaching; Kyo. Help and teach the country. Jung Pilkyo." 

"Wahhhh....your name is so meaningful." Dongwan amazed, kinda wondered his name meant too.

"Yeah, my grandfathers named me. Such a meaningful name. I am doing just like my name. I can't sit back at home while the whole country is in trouble. That's why I am teaching the kids and some villagers who can't read or write. The person who came to house this afternoon, he came here to warn me not . He said he warned me because he is closed to my father, if I do again, he would catch me right away." He talked in Non-stop. Dongwan remained silent throughout the whole talk, "He really did need someone to talk, no no, more like he needs someone to listen him. He must have held everything himself." And that instant, Dongwan found himself falling in love with this guy more and more. With his beauty alone, it was enough for Dongwan to be madly in love. But after finding out his bravery and act, he could not help but admiring him more and more. 

 

I sat glumly on my bed. Okay, the whole thing , I was starting to get the feeling that it was not merely a dream. I abruptly stood up and got a paper and a pen. I compared the things similar and things not similar between Shin Hyesung and Jung Pilkyo. First; obviously their hair style and their hair color. Because Pilkyo was living in 1940s era, his hair was surely black and Hyesung's light brown. And, let me think. Ahh..eyes. Pilkyo had only single eyelids while Hyesung had double. And nose, I took a while to recall Pilkyo's nose. Small. Yeah, just like Hyesung's. In my life , I had never seen such a small cute nose like him. I chuckled as I remembered his cute nose. And mostly the things most different between them was- their way of talking. While Pilkyo was brave and talked whatever he had in mind , Hyesung was a shy one who talked only when needed. I looked at the list carefully which showed both similarities and differences between them for a while and I got the answer I wanted for so long. Those were not mere dreams. They meant more than that. I knew it. I could feel it. Whether I was awake or asleep, Shin Hyesung or Jung Pilkyo would always invade my thoughts. Whether I wanted it or not, my life was full of him. My world was evolving around him. I lied down on bed again and hid my face under pillow. "I love you , Pilkyo. I really do."

Hyesung was a little surprised to get lunch date from me. "Okay I will ask Jinnie if..."

"No Jinnie. Only you. I want to talk with you only."

Now he was sitting quietly in front of me at restaurant near his company, waiting for me to start the conversation. We both were silent until our meals were served. One thing I learnt about Shin Hyesung during past days was , when he was eating, he forgot the world. His focus was mainly on food and eyes never left them. 

"Shin Hyesung" he looked me from eating, maybe he was a little surprised by being called full name.

"I Love You" I said him directly, while holding knife and fork in each of my hand and him, while his both cheeks were puffed with food like a squirrel. His eyes widened a little from my sudden confession. He took a glass of water and gulped down.

"I'm sorry if I happened to shock you. And you maybe surprised by getting confessed by a man. But Hyesung ya, I love you. I really do." I said while starring into his eyes. His eyes were showing clear shock plus hints of sadness.

"I am sorry, it may sound stupid and ridiculous. You may think of me as gay. Yes, you can and I don't care. All I want is ...."

"That is not the case Eric." He interrupted.

"I understand you. And I am not surprised by your confession." 

"Then what is the point Hyesung ya??" I asked him impatiently.

"I already have someone to engage Eric ya."