Chapter 1: The Royal One

The Tales of the Dark: The Shadows

The moonlight was shining mysteriously over the huge, abandoned, European-styled house that was isolated from the city.

The old house was neglected for almost 10 years, yet tonight silhouettes and shadows were vaguely seen roaming around the house. The surroundings were already dark and scary enough to drive a sane human being, but the rumored ghost stories that had been lingering around, had driven away every possible neighboring house causing the neighborhood to look gloomy especially during the nights.

 

As the house was discarded 10 years ago, each room in the house were dark and intimidating, creating the perfect eerie atmosphere that utterly fits with the creepy and horrendous haunted house in the amusement park. A loud scream of a young woman pierces through the deserted and abandoned place, follows by the echo of the hurried footstep and a maniac laughter.

 

The black hair woman, dressed in a black dress, was running towards the front door at the living room when she tripped on her feet and fall down on her face. The laugh got louder and finally the black silhouette formed into a horrendous face with its mouth unhinged and its eyes filled with dried blood.

 

The woman turned her face and lay frozen on the ground when she saw the face in front of her. She wanted to get up and run away, but her body wouldn’t move. was slightly open and her eyes were wide open when she sees the monster walking towards her. She started to move backwards to the door, but it was too late the monster got a hold of her feet and was dragging her to the middle of the room, where it stands looming over her and its head nearly touch the chandelier.

 

The woman screams and tries to crawl her way out from the grasp in vain, but it seems like her struggling excites the monster even more as it starts to laugh loudly again and drags her leg slowly as if it was playing with its prey.

 

“Oh dear, your majesty, this character is so pitiful, is she not?” A playful voice rang among the maniac laughter of the monster and the screams of the woman.

 

Upon hearing the amused voice, the monster stops laughing and turns its head towards the source of the voice. The figure steps into the beam of the moonlight and laugh softly, he continues in a soft voice with a small smile on his face.

 

“As much as I love to watch your role plays, I don’t think we have the time for that now. Lio is getting impatient and his majesty is waiting at his penthouse.” The said person was sandy blonde and the moonlight beams makes his hair shines even brighter as if it was gold.

 

The monster growls loudly and turns its attention to the person, dropping the woman’s leg in a loud thud.

 

“Oh my, I think I’ve intrigued your prey, what are you going to do now, your highness?”

 

The guy said with a smirk as if he wasn’t concern at all that the monster is turning its attention to him. This only makes the monster even angrier; it growls even louder as it lunges at the said guy.

 

However, before it could it reaches the guy, an elegant and delicate tune of a flute that resonance of spring rang out. The light and captivating melody causes the monster to turn its head, but before it could react a bright light surrounds its body.

 

Standing on the other side of the room, stood the woman who was screaming and struggling before. The black hair woman was already standing up as she plays the flute gracefully. The transverse flute was black with a silver string that tied a red intricate pendant to the flute.

 

She was no longer trembling and crying, and her eyes were golden when she opened it and stared right into the monster as she continues playing the notes that were clearly tormenting the large monster. Her face was relaxed and her aura becomes scarier. The blond haired man watches in amusement and as the song reaches the the light gets brighter and brighter, before it disappears along with the monster and the song comes to an end.

 

“Grieg, eh?” The man applauses after the song finishes while the woman walks to him.

 

“Chennie, you know how invested I am when it comes to my job. Are you questioning my decisions?” The woman speaks with a soft voice.

 

The image of the fragile and scared woman earlier was completely wiped out. Instead, the woman in front of him was now standing tall with a very domineering aura as she stares right at him with her black flute in her left hand.

 

“I wouldn’t dare to, but it really is late your highness. His highness would get moody if you are late again.” The guy who was called ‘Chennie’ bows his head a little as he speaks in a firm voice.

 

“Ahhh he knows how I am why keep expecting something different. Tsk, he is such a stiff stick, so uptight and no fun at all.” The woman says as she pouts causing ‘Chennie’ to burst out a small laugh at her adorableness.

 

“Humans these days are so cruel, how could they such a delicate girl and experiment on her in this forsaken place.” She continues to whine as she puts on her shoes that ‘Chennie’ gave her.

 

“Lio is waiting outside, your highness.”

 

“Ahh that’s right, we should get dinner on the way there. Is Hunnie there too, if so let’s also get his bubble tea.”

 

“Yes, your highness, the third prince is also there.”
 

The woman smiled brightly at the answer as she walks out the door of the mansion in big steps.

 

Outside the mansion was quite cold, the wind causes her hair and dress to flutter along with it, revealing a black dragon coiling at her right ankle. Her golden eyes were calculated as she looks for ‘Lio’.

 

A black dragon mark and the golden eyes were the trademarks of the rulers in the underworld. The royal family each has a special weapon and the ability to decide whether a spirit of the dead could go to heaven or to be capture and pay the price for their activities in their past life in hell.

 

The royal family rules over the grim reapers, spirits who were taken to harvest the souls of a dead human being because they had committed a serious sin in their past life. Unlike the royal family, the grim reapers can only capture the souls and they have no ability to decide whether a soul should go to heaven or suffer in hell. People of the underworld are neutral between good and evil, they are simply creatures who observes and keep records of the humans who are born and dead.

 

The royal family has a special group of royal guards who are picked meticulously to serve the royal family. The royal family is the fallen angels who are condemn to Hell because they had committed a serious sin. They are never to be reborn ever and they are to watch and judge the souls of dead humans. If they were to be bias, they would be punished tenfold by the heavens with their weapons.

 

Every royal family member also has a spirit animal, the animal that is used for transportation and to protect them from any dangers. However, to the royal family, it was more like a pet rather than a guardian.

 

“Lio~” The woman commands out loud in front of the abandoned mansion. A large lion appears in her sight and she climbs onto its back. The lion levitates and they set off into the night sky with Chennie right behind them.

~

Author Note: I am finally back.