The Night of December 21st PART ONE

What Once Was
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

BASICALLY I split this chapter up into two parts, here's the first half, I hope you enjoy.

 

 

 

"Oh, no, please don't-- okay, well just don't-- aaand you did that, too." Namjoon flitted back and forth, trying to keep all four toddlers in his line of sight at the same time. It was difficult, though, since Wheein was convinced Santa's evil twin brother's ghost was chasing her, Taehyung was trying to copy couple yoga poses he'd seen somewhere with Jimin, and Jungkook was attempting to become one with the Christmas tree.

Meanwhile, Hoseok and Yoongi helped Seokjin in the kitchen, pretending not to hear the sounds of the struggling man in the other room.

After an hour, Namjoon finally got the toddlers to settle down. Sort of. Wheein was engulfed in a mountain of blankets that would supposedly offer protection from evil spirits, Taehyung and Jimin were in corpse pose side by side, and Jungkook had finally come out from behind the tree to sit on the couch, albeit somewhat uncomfortably. Namjoon himself was draped across the couch beside Jungkook, utterly drained and lacking any motivation whatsoever.

That was when the other three adults shouted from the dining room, "Dinner's ready!"

Wheein and Taehyung perked up immediately at that, running towards the source of the voices on quick and clumsy feet. Jimin followed loyally afterwards, and the Jungkook quietly hopped off the couch and hopped the rest of the way to everyone else. Namjoon quelled his urge to groan by focusing on the delicious scent wafting in the air of the living room from the kitchen. He followed suit and walked the path of the children: straight to the food.

When Namjoon entered the room, Taehyung and Jimin had already seated themselves and Hoseok and Yoongi were helping Jungkook and Wheein up on to their chairs. On the table, a feast big enough for an army and beautiful enough for a royal family was set, steaming and practically glowing. Namjoon turned to his husband, eyebrows raised and mouth gaping.

"Seokjin, this looks amazing!"

Seokjin beamed at the praise and ordered everyone to sit down and start eating without holding back. After the first bite even the toddlers couldn't stop, despite it usually being a chore on its own to get them to eat anything. Dinner was filled with happy chatter and laughter, all the spirits in the room high.

After dinner, everyone gathered around Namjoon and Seokjin’s fireplace, each child in a lap (Wheein and Jungkook both sat on Hoseok’s). Yoongi roasted marshmallows, one stick in each hand and two puffs on each stick. When the sweets were golden and poofed, bigger hands grabbed them to feed into smaller mouths. Wheein was especially excited, climbing off her father's lap after having tasted the marshmallow to cling to Yoongi and always be the first to get another. After the toddlers had enough, each adult received one as well. And Yoongi truly was the best at roasting marshmallows, knowing how to get them perfectly even, cooked enough to have a shell on the outside before melting on their tongues, but never a bit overcooked or even close to burnt.

"I think this is just another reason for me to like you," Hoseok thought out loud. "Not that there aren't already enough," he added.

"Oh--" Namjoon started.

"That's adorable," Seokjin cut off, sending his husband a look. "Anyway, let's do a marshmallow toast, shall we?" hums of agreement sounded throughout their circle. "A toast to the great year behind us and another one ahead. And Yoongi, Jungkook, Hoseok, and Wheein’s first Christmas together."

"Cheers!"

Marshmallows were tapped together by sticky fingers before being devoured.

The gathering ended soon after the marshmallows ran out and the toddlers began yawning every two minutes. Lots of hugs were given at Seokjin and Namjoon’s doorway.

Finally, Seokjin said, "See you next year," and added a wink, officially cutting off the visit. Hoseok laughed and Yoongi gave a small smile before everyone waved a last time and the four headed out to their cars.

The night didn't end there, however, since there were still presents left to be opened.

After Seokjin closed the door, he turned to his twin sons. "Are you ready to open presents?" he asked.

"Yes!" Jimin yelled. Taehyung just looked at his dad with big, wide eyes and nodded.

The family of four walked together over to their colorfully decorated Christmas tree and sat around it, Namjoon being the closest in order to pass out presents.

"This one is for... Jimin!"

"Yaaay!" Jimin cheered as he ran over to receive his gift.

"From Dad and Dad."

Jimin tore open the wrapping. Under was a white box, and when Jimin lifted off the top, a pair of shoes were revealed. Jimin smiled widely and jumped up to give his parents a hug.

"Thank you!!" he said happily. "I like them so much!" The shoes fit Jimin’s style perfectly (yes, he was four and already had a distinguished style), and as a plus, were extremely comfortable and would last him a long while.

"Now, to Taehyungie from Dad and Dad," said Seokjin after Jimin had returned to his seat.

Taehyung received his gift quietly and plopped back down without a word. He scratched at the wrapping, unable to pierce through it for a good ten seconds before Jimin reached over and successfully tore it for him. Taehyung continued on, until a red box was revealed, which he pulled up the top of. Inside the box was a drawing pad and a set of pencils, colored and graphite. Taehyung gasped and grabbed the items out of the box.

"Look, Jiminie!! It's drawing tools! So I can be a drawer!"

Jimin gasped along with his brother, crawling over to get a closer look. "Wow, Taetae! That's so cool!!" He leaned over to whisper his twins' ear. "You should thank them."

Taehyung looked up with wide eyes. "Thank you a lot!"

Seokjin and Namjoon looked at their younger son adoringly. "You're welcome," Namjoon said with a gleeful grin.

Next, the present to Jimin from Santa was handed over. Jimin was unable to mask his excitement, bouncing as he ripped the paper encasing his gift. He hadn't asked for anything in particular in his letter to Santa ("yu kan choos becuz i turst yu"), so he was excited to see what he would get. He really did trust Santa to get him the perfect gift as he did every year. Not being able to wait a second longer, Jimin almost violently opened the box holding his gift. He squealed at the sight of his gift.

It was a stuffed bunny, with soft fur, big, dark eyes, and and an adorable, tiny nose. Jimin pulled the animal into his arms, squeezing it as hard as he could. "Thank you thank you thank you, Santa!" he chanted. "It's so cute!!!"

Taehyung watched how excited his brother was for three seconds before asking for his present from Santa as well. This time, he impatiently pulled out the tissue paper placed on top of the present and pulled out whatever was in the gift bag.

"What's that?" asked Namjoon.

"It's--" started Seokjin, but he never finished, for Taehyung cut him off, saying:

"GUCCI!!"

Indeed, it was a pair of sunglasses with the telltale brand on the side. Taehyung popped up from his spot on the floor and make a circle around the room, running and yelling. When he returned, he jumped four feet into the air.

"It's Gucci, Jimin!!! GUCCI!!"

Meanwhile, Taehyung’s parents laughed at how happy he was and Jimin tried to understand the hype. They looked like regular sunglasses to him.

Finally, Taehyung calmed down and sat back down next to his twin again.

“Now for the parents!” Jimin said excitedly.

Taehyung gasped and froze for a second before leaning over to whisper in his twin’s ear. “I forgot to make Daddy and Daddy a present this year,” he stressed.

Jimin whispered back, “I know. It's okay.” And then he walked over to the tree and brought out the last gift and handed it to Seokjin. “Here you go. It’s for both of you.”

Seokjin beamed at his older son and started unwrapping the gift (it was easy since it was just wrapping paper folded over and over and sealed with a single piece of tape).

The gift was a drawing of the four of them standing next to a big tree on top of grass that looked very much like green triangles lined up side by side at the bottom of the page. Namjoon was pictured as skinny and tall, holding some kind of broken black object with the piece that was broken off floating in the air and a jagged space between the two parts. Seokjin was pictured tall, but not as tall as Namjoon, with big lips and big eyes (with their edges coming a bit off of the figure’s face), and his arm sticking straight out on one side. Jimin was standing and smiling, while Taehyung was standing on Jimin’s shoulders and reaching his arms to the sky. Big black letters spelled out, “Frum Taetae an Jimin”

Seokjin tilted his head to the side, looking at the drawing.

“What… are we doing?”

Jimin plopped down beside his father and pointed to the drawing of Namjoon. “That’s Dad breaking his sunglasses.” Seokjin chuckled. “That’s you blowing everyone a kiss.” Taehyung crawled over into Namjoon’s lap. “And that’s me and Taetae. Because I always help him when he wants to do silly things.”

Seokjin hummed with a wide smile on his face. “This is absolutely wonderful, Jimin. Thank you for drawing it.”

“It’s from Taetae, too!” Jimin reminded everyone.

“No, it’s not,” Taehyung said. “I’m sorry Daddies. I forgot.”

Namjoon kissed the top of Taehyung’s hair. “That’s alright, Taehyung. Don’t feel bad.”

“I’m going to hang this up,” said Seokjin. “And then we can drink hot chocolate.”

“With marshmallows?” asked Taehyung with puppy eyes.

Seokjin smiled at him. “Yes, with marshmallows.”

Wheein, Jungkook, Hoseok, and Yoongi all drove (or were driven) to Yoongi and Jungkook’s place, where all the presents were kept under a ten foot tree (because why set up two trees in two houses when there's enough space for all the presents here?). Jungkook and Wheein ran to the tree holding hands, anxious to see what they were given while Yoongi and Hoseok followed behind, not holding hands, but trading sweet smiles.

Unfortunately, opening presents was less ceremonial and more frantic chaos after Wheein made it a race to see who could get all their presents open first, sparking Jungkook’s love for competition. The toddlers rushed through all their gifts, barely looking at what they got before moving on. Some relatives and friends had gotten the two children gifts, too, so each had about seven presents to open.

Finally, Yoongi and Hoseok stood in a pile of torn wrapping paper and gift bags, Wheein and Jungkook having taken their gifts to Jungkook’s room to try out all the toys they’d received. With a sigh, Hoseok bent down and started collecting the paper from the floor, and after Yoongi regained his senses, he bent down to help as well. When the floor was clean, two more gifts were revealed underneath the tree.

“Open mine first,” Hoseok said, pulling Yoongi into a back hug after coming back from disposing of all the trash the kids had left.

“Okay.”

The two sat side by side as Yoongi carefully tore open the paper surrounding Hoseok’s gift.

“Wait a second…” Yoongi eyed the box. “Hoseok!”

Hoseok looked a mix of scared and excited. “Are you happy, or…? I’m sorry, I don’t know much about cameras, but the girl at the store said this one was good, so…”

“Wasn’t it expensive?” stressed Yoongi.

Hoseok’s mouth formed an ‘o’. “Oh.”

“Yes it was! Hobi, I told you you could handwrite a note on a slip of paper and I would be happy.”

“I did that, too,” Hoseok said, untaping something from the other side of the box and showing it to Yoongi. Yoongi’s eyebrows screwed up. “I didn’t want to just do that, though. And I felt like you’d like this? Do you not?”

“No, I love it, but-”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter