'I Love You' is a Promise

What Once Was
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Daddy, can we have donuts now?"

Four year old Jung Wheein looked up at her father with big eyes.

"Um no, baby. We haven't even had breakfast."

The toddler slumped over and groaned. "But it's been so looong since we had them. Please? Pleaaase?"

Hoseok sighed and ran a hand down his face. "I said no, Wheein. Maybe we can get some later. Let's eat some real food, and then see the twins, okay?"

Wheein's eyes brightened at the mention of her two best friends. "Okay!"

Namjoon and Seokjin were sitting at a table near the play structure when Hoseok arrived. Their twin boys Taehyung and Jimin were sitting on the same chair, Seokjin feeding Jimin while Taehyung held his brother's waist and rested his head on the other's shoulder. Namjoon sat next to Seokjin, reading a book.

"Hi, guys," Hoseok said as he approached them. "I'm sorry I'm late."

Seokjin wiped Jimin's mouth and stood to hug Hoseok, followed by Namjoon.

"It's fine, don't worry about it," replied Seokjin.

"Hey look, boys! It's Wheein!" Namjoon said enthusiastically. The Kim twins hopped off their chair, Taehyung making sure that Jimin didn't hit the table, before running over to their lifetime friend.

"Let's play Doggies today, okay?" suggested the young girl when they had finished greeting each other with hugs.

"Okay!" said Taehyung, and the three of them dropped to their hands and knees, crawling towards the structure while "woof"ing as loud as they could.

"Don't... the floor is... okay," sighed Seokjin. The adults sat down at the table again.

"So Namjoon, did Hyejin end up approving?" asked Hoseok.

A smile appeared on Namjoon's face. "Yes! She did! I told my team to start on the project now that we have permission. I'm so relieved she said yes."

Hoseok smiled. "That's great, Joon!"

"What about you? Anything interesting happen at the school? Did that kid you were talking about last week finally turn in something?" asked Seokjin.

Hoseok laughed. "Actually--" Something in the corner of his eye snagged Hoseok's attention. "Hey guys, I'm sorry but I'll be... right back..." he said absentmindedly, standing from his seat and walking over to a scene unfolding a few tables from them.

"Oh, okay," Seokjin replied as he watched Hoseok walk away.

A tall, scruffy man was arguing with a much smaller, cleaner looking man. The taller had the wrist of a woman in his grip, the woman looking extremely frightened.

"Why don't you just leave, huh?" the more intimidating man was saying.

"Look, you need to let her go. I'm sure that this is--"

"I'm sure that you need to mind your own ing business!"

Hoseok jumped into the conversation. "Hi there, sirs. And ma'am. Don't mean to interrupt," he did mean to interrupt, "but I was just going to ask what was going on. Because that security officer over there looks really interested." Hoseok pointed to the woman he was talking about, who indeed was glaring at the small crowd, looking as if she would come over any second. "So maybe just tone it down a bit? There are lots of children around as well." All his words were directed at the unruly man, who glared daggers at Hoseok. He glanced at the security guard who started to march over, and back at the other two men before scoffing, flinging the girl's arm, and storming away.

The young woman exhaled dramatically, placing a hand over her heart. "Thank you, both of you. So much," she said before picking up a purse from the floor that she must have dropped and walking off.

Hoseok nodded. Three seconds passed before he turned to the last person involved in the skirmish.

He offered a small smile. "It's been a while, hasn't it?" The other nodded. "Nice to see you again, Yoongi."

"Sir, Jungkook has expressed a desire to spend some time with you this morning."

Yoongi looked up at the nanny. He stayed silent a while. . I can't believe I haven't taken him out yet. So much for being 'better'. "Of course, Eunhyeon. Thank you for letting me know. Tell him I'll finish this and then we can go to that indoor park he likes so much."

The middle aged woman bowed. "Very well, sir."

Yoongi typed the last three emails as fast as he could. Finally, when he was finished, he turned off the computer and stood to walk to his son's playroom. When Yoongi arrived, Jungkook was sitting with perfect posture at a small table, drawing quietly as another one of his nannies watched with a slight tinge of maybe pity. Yoongi inwardly sighed. Even my staff knows that I'm a failure of a parent. When Yoongi had arranged for a playroom to be built for the unborn baby, he had been dreading any mess he would have to clean up after his child. But with Jungkook, he sometimes wished for there to be some kind of mess at all, anything to prove that he was a real toddler and not just some robotic clone that his parents had created as another heir to the company they owned.

When he saw his father, Jungkook just smiled slightly and bowed. No hugs, no shouts of joy. Even when Yoongi came back from his two week business trip, Jungkook just stood in line with all the other staff and recited, "Welcome home father. We missed you." It pierced Yoongi's heart to the core.

"Jungkook, would you like to go to that indoor park today? The one with the really tall structure?" At this, Jungkook's face lit up a bit more, also triggering a flutter in Yoongi's chest. Perhaps he could do something right as a parent after all.

"Could we really?" asked Jungkook with too much formality for Yoongi's liking.

"Of course."

So Yoongi sat at a table around the perimeter of the park, watching with joy as Jungkook raced around the structure, exploring each nook and cranny like it was his first time seeing them. Yes, it wasn't ideal. Ideally, Jungkook would have some friends to play with. But the small smile on Yoongi's son's face told him that still, this was better than nothing.

But then Yoongi saw the man harassing the small woman. And the ball started rolling much faster. Even though Yoongi wasn't the type to get involved, he couldn't just watch it happen. But being short and not at all intimidating, the man didn't heed any of his words. Until a not-so-stranger showed up and saved the day.

"Nice to see you again, Yoongi."

Nice to see you again, Hoseok.

"Lemme guess. You go to that crazy fancy private school about half an hour from here?" Yoongi didn't know how he got this random student to become so interested in him. Or what he did to deserve it. But he didn't know how to get the other to stop distracting him from studying, so he just settled for answering the question.

"Uh, yeah. That's my school."

The taller brunette with the high cheekbones and big eyes raised his eyebrows and opened his mouth wide with his next word. "Ahhh. I could tell from the uniform."

No .

"Why do you come all the way out to this library to study, then?"

Yoongi stared at the guy for a while before answering. "Less of a chance of running into people. That usually means less distractions, but..."

The other laughed. "But today some loud, annoying kid came up to you and started bothering the heck outta you. Yeah, I get it. I'm a bit much. Hey, how about when you're done studying we can hang out a bit? I won't bother you accidentally while you're trying to work that way, 'cause you'll tell me when you're done."

Yoongi eyed him skeptically, drawing out another laugh him.

"We can stay here. In front of all these other people. No drugs, alcohol, or illegal stuff, I promise. I just can't go home till later and I'll be bored. Sound okay?"

Yoongi his lip in thought. "Yeah. I guess that's alright."

Yoongi's phone would not stop buzzing in class. The first time, he hadn't been prepared, and almost got caught having it during class. The next few times, he turned it down, but the vibration was enough to bother him.

It was Hoseok.

Only a bit more than a month into their friendship, and Hoseok had already titled himself Yoongi's best friend.

His public school had different hours than Yoongi's school, so whenever he didn't have class, Yoongi did. Although Yoongi was pretty certain Hoseok was texting him while he was in class, too.

 

Hobi:

Yoongi

Yoongi

Yoongi

Yoongi

Hi

Hello

Yoongi

 

Me:

WHAT

 

Hobi:

Hey there handsome

 

Me:

Hoseok, I'm in class

 

Hobi:

Wanna ditch with me?

 

Me:

No

Shut up

 

Hobi:

Hyung

Hyung

Yoongi

Answer me

 

Me:

I'm gonna fail school because of you

 

Hobi:

Do you wanna go on a date with me?

 

Yoongi stared at his phone with wide eyes.

"Mr. Min!" boomed the voice of his History teacher. "I'm assuming that's your phone you have under your desk? Bring it here."

Yoongi froze for a few seconds.

"Now."

The student stood and walked to the front of the class, defeated. Some people looked at him with pity, others with amusement. Yoongi never got in trouble.

At the end of class when he was allowed to retrieve his phone, the teacher glared at him.

"Never should I see it again. Understood?"

Yoongi nodded and almost ran out of the classroom in embarrassment. Lunch was next, so he was free to go wherever. Yoongi went to a quiet corner of the building and called Hoseok immediately. The phone was answered after two rings.

"Did you get my text?"

"Wait, don't you have class right now?"

Hoseok chuckled on the other end. "I'm ditching like I told you."

Yoongi scoffed. "Yes, I got your text."

Hoseok was quiet for a while. "So, no?"

"Are you saying that because I didn't answer you?"

"Well, you didn't want to reject me over text, so doing it over the phone is better?"

"I couldn't reply because my phone was taken by the teacher. You know that nothing like that ever happens to me, Hoseok."

Yoongi could almost see Hoseok's sheepishness. "Ohh... sorry for getting you in trouble."

Yoongi sighed. "Don't do it again, okay?"

"Well, you didn't have to text me--"

"Hoseok."

"Okay."

Yoongi closed his eyes and took a breath. "And in regards to your text... let me know when and where."

Not two more words were able to be fit in from either Hoseok or Yoongi before a small figure crashed into Yoongi's legs, almost knocking him over.

"DAD!!!!" screamed the figure, who turned out to be a little boy. He wore a big smile with big teeth and eyes that reminded Hoseok of a bunny and caused him to smile.

Then, Hoseok felt a similar thing: a toddler speeding towards his legs and crashing into him. He looked down in surprise to see Wheein staring at him with extremely wide eyes. "DADDY!!" she yelled as well.

"What, Wheein?"

The little girl pointed at the boy that Yoongi was now kneeling down to talk to. "LOOK AT HIM. ISN'T HE ADORABLE. ISN'T HE."

Hoseok looked at his daughter in a mix of amusement and shock. "Yes, I guess."

"CAN WE KEEP HIM."

Hoseok reached down to bring the girl into his arms. "Um, no darling. You can't 'keep' people."

A whine of "Whyyyyyyyy?" was heard from the other toddler, and Yoongi started frantically trying to shush him.

"Jungkook you can't just invite yourself to other people's houses. And you know that the maids don't like me bringing people over without telling them first."

Hearing this, Hoseok decided to take initiative. "Um, Yoongi? What if Jungkook came to our place? I wouldn't mind."

Yoongi looked up at Hoseok. "Really? It wouldn't be bothersome?"

Hoseok laughed. "No, otherwise I wouldn't have invited you. Is that okay with you, Jungkook?"

The toddler smiled wider. "Yes!"

Wheein patted her dad's arm, her signal for him to put her down. "Tae Tae! Minnie!" The twins ran over from the play structure to their friend. "For the rest of today, we have to include Kookie in our games, okay?"

The boys looked over to Jungkook, who seemed to have become a lot shier with the presence of new people.

Taehyung walked over to the smallest kid. "How old are you?" he asked.

"Good," Jungkook replied.

"No, Jungkook. How old are you?" clarified Yoongi.

Jungkook looked up at his dad. "Hm?"

Yoongi looked at him right back. "Remember? How old did you turn a few months ago?"

Jungkook looked back to the other kids and tapped his lip. Then, his eyes brightened. "Three!"

Yoongi smiled softly, and Hoseok found it contagious.

"Well Mochi and I are older than you. We're four," said Taehyung. "You have to call us hyung."

"And me!" added Wheein. "I'm four, too! I'm noona to all of you."

Jungkook's eyes widened, and a smile slowly grew on his face, almost so that it was creepy (but it wasn't because he was adorable). "Noona..." he said quietly.

"Let's go, Kookie! We're playing family." Wheein led the boys back out to the play area.

Hoseok turned to Yoongi.

"I can give you my add-- Wait, you didn't drive here, did you?" Yoongi shook his head. Hoseok remembered that he'd never owned a car. "Well I can be your driver this time. That okay with you, or do you want to call--"

"That's okay with me," Yoongi said before flushing a bit and shrinking into his coat.

Hoseok smiled and nodded. "Okay. I gotta go back to my friends that I sorta ditched earlier... how about you come, too?"

So Yoongi followed Hoseok back to Seokjin and Namjoon's table.

Two hours later, the parents called their kids back from playing.

"Taehyung, Jimin! We have to go home now," yelled Seokjin. The boys reluctantly walked over to their father. Wheein walked after them.

"Kids!" she called before they could put on the jackets Namjoon was holding out for them. "Come here." The two obediently ran up to the oldest. "Mama Wheein has to go with Kookie now. And you have to go home. Be good boys." She patted them on the head and turned to walk to her own father, Jungkook following close behind. Hoseok watched with a very confused expression.

"Should I be worried, or...?" he whispered. Yoongi, beside him, only laughed.

"Okay, I'm ready Daddy!" Wheein reached up her arms to her father.

Hoseok looked down at her. "You can walk, can't you?"

Wheein dropped her arms and looked away. "As to be accepted," she murmured to herself.

"Expected," corrected Hoseok. "And you've been hanging out with Namjoon too much. Here, I'll carry you."

The car ride to Hoseok's apartment wasn't as quiet or awkward as he had anticipated. Wheein had many stories up her sleeve to entertain Jungkook, and he was an avid listener. The two covered up any uncomfortable atmosphere that may have sprouted from their fathers.

Hoseok parked his car and got out to unbuckle Wheein from her car seat and Jungkook from the spare one that Hoseok kept in his car for this situation exactly (when Wheein decided that she wanted to bring a friend home last minute).

Wheein led the way to the elevator, and then to the apartment, closely watched by her father. Before unlocking the door, however, a bout of insecurity washed over Hoseok. "Hey, uh, Yoongi. I know you guys are kind of... better off, and my place is really--"

Yoongi touched Hoseok's arm, as lightly as a feather, but it effectively shut him up. "I don't mind, Hoseok. It's fine."

"R-right," stammered Hoseok. "Yeah. Um. Sure. Yeah. Right." He fumbled with the keys before successfully getting the door to open. The two toddlers burst into the apartment right away, Wheein with more energy than Jungkook.

"This is my house, Kookie!" Wheein shouted with her arms flung up into the air. Jungkook stood a little in from the doorway, looking around the floor. "Whaddya looking for?"

"Where do I put my shoes?" asked Jungkook.

Hoseok saw Yoongi wince a bit. "Uh you can put them here, Jungkook. Want me to help you get them off?"

Jungkook sat on the ground and shook his head. "I can do it, thank you."

"Okay." The two fathers watched their children yank off their shoes before they jumped up again and ran deep into the house. Wheein's voice resounded throughout the rooms and hallways, Jungkook's occasionally joining hers. Hoseok turned to Yoongi. "Would you like something to drink?"

Yoongi shook his head. "No thank you. I'm fine."

Hoseok pursed his lips. "Well, come on in. Make yourself comfortable."

The two adults found themselves sitting on Hoseok's couch. Surprisingly, it only took a little to get a conversation properly flowing. Wheein and Jungkook's laughter in the background also helped to lift the mood.

"You're still at your family's company?" asked Hoseok.

Yoongi nodded. "Yeah. I took over two years ago."

"Is that so."

"What about you?"

Hoseok laughed. "Oh, I'm a primary school teacher. I teach sixth grade."

Yoongi smiled softly. "It fits you. I bet you're really popular

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter