Before and After

Before and After

[Present-time]

 

“I wish my relationship with Sunny was like yours and Tiffany’s,” Sooyoung twirled her straw around before taking a tiny sip of her drink, looking miserable as she sighed. It was saying something if even a strawberry lemonade couldn’t calm her nerves.

 

“How do you mean?” Taeyeon asked, turning away from the screen to catch Sooyoung still moping, deep in thought.

 

“I don’t know. I just feel like Sunny and I are changing, and I’m not sure if it’s a good thing or a bad thing for our relationship. Everything feels different, but it’s not really? I know we’ve only been dating for three months, but I’m already terrified for our future.” Faceplanting herself on a pillow, Sooyoung lets out another deep sigh. “It might seem like I’m being paranoid and a wuss, but there’s been this nagging feeling in my head asking me what’s going to happen to our relationship years from now. I kind of just wish our relationship remains the same—unchanging like yours and Tiffany’s.”

 

Taeyeon choked on her drink, not expecting Sooyoung’s blunt opinion on her relationship with Tiffany. Clearly, her friend needed some help if she honestly thought their relationship had remained consistent after all these years.

***

[Before]

 

Their lunch and dinner dates used to be a bit cheesy yet sweet. It was cute seeing Tiffany order only from cheaper side of the menu whenever Taeyeon insisted to pay. The girl ate like a bird, and even though her plate could barely feed a person, she’d always offer Taeyeon a piece of her food.

 

[After]

 

“Delivery for a Hwang Tiffany.” Taeyeon cheekily smiled as she held up two heavy bags, each filled with a bucket of Korean fried chicken.

 

Eyes sparkling, Tiffany tossed her bag of chips on the couch as she skipped over to her girlfriend. “Taeyeon, you shouldn’t have.” Tiffany said as she plucked the bags from Taeyeon’s hands, tongue hungrily sticking out from the corner of . She glanced at the food then back at Taeyeon, eyes getting bigger by the second. “Thank you, baby.” She quickly pecked Taeyeon’s check before excitedly walking away with the food that was meant for the both of them. “I’m surprised you didn’t get anything for yourself.”

***

[Before]

 

Two young teenagers falling in love, wanting to give the other anything she wanted. Impressions were important, and they both loved spoiling each other.

 

“It’s expensive. No, Taeyeon, I can’t accept this.” Despite saying that, Tiffany couldn’t take her sad eyes off of the stunning necklace that was meant as a gift for their first year anniversary. The only thing holding her back was Taeyeon’s mistake of leaving the price tag on. Two hundred dollars was definitely not chump change.

 

“But I want you to have it. It fits you so perfectly.” Without waiting for another reason why she had to return it, Taeyeon swiftly clasped the necklace around her girlfriend’s neck. “Beautiful. No take-backs.”

 

Grumbling in defeat, Tiffany pulled out her gift for Taeyeon from her front pocket and wore it on Taeyeon’s wrist. It was probably the shiniest, coolest watch Taeyeon had ever seen, and when Tiffany had said it was worth around fifty bucks, Taeyeon had been gullible for believing it.

 

She’d never know that that watch had cost over four hundred bucks.

 

[After]

 

“I got it!” Taeyeon had squealed, not minding the stares from the other customers as she rushed over to her girlfriend, who was busy tiptoeing as she tried to grab the discounted toilet paper on the highest shelf. “Baby, I got it!”

 

“Got what—holy , Taeyeon!” Tiffany’s eyes widened as Taeyeon emerged with a vacuum that was sixty percent off. They were in need of a good but within budget vacuum after their old one decided to commit suicide and explode on them during their monthly cleaning. “That was the only one left in stock. I thought we decided to give up on it because we knew it’d be pointless to even try.”

 

Taeyeon proudly rubbed her nose and lifted her chin. “I might have elbowed a grandpa to get it, and his granddaughter might have cried when she saw him stumbling back in shock.” There was a moment of guilt, but then that quickly went away when she said, “But guess who’s not going to be crying when we’re finally annihilating all those dust bunnies? Us!”

 

If Taeyeon could say one thing to their naïve teen selves, it’d be to cherish living under their parents’ roofs, because bills and money really is a necessity to survive. Oh, and try not to turn into a grandpa elbower just to get the last deal.

***

[Before]

 

Text messages had been syrupy sweet and maybe a little vomit-inducing due to all that cringy-ness. It’d be the only reason one would smile and wake up in the middle of the night for.

 

Taeyeon: Tippany <3

 

Tiffany: Taetae <3

 

Taeyeon: Are you feeling better? No more headaches, right?

 

Tiffany: No more headaches, but I’d feel better if you were here with me T_T

 

Taeyeon: Dammit, I hate myself for going on this lame trip with my friends. I should be with you, my Tippany.

 

Tiffany: Don’t you dare hate yourself >:[ Enjoy your trip, because when you come back, I’m never letting you go. Ever. Again.

 

[After]

 

Ping. Ping. Ping.

 

Taeyeon knew she should’ve ignored Tiffany’s messages, but no matter how much she wanted to, she just couldn’t.

 

Tiffany: Holy crap, I can’t believe he got shot!

 

Tiffany: Seriously, Taeyeon, this episode is so freaking good!

 

Tiffany: Oh my god. I’m bawling my eyes out right now. It’s just so sad. I get that he deserved what he got, but she was innocent.

 

Taeyeon let out a frustrated growl as she rushed to get home. Someone was going to be killed by her wrath.

 

Seriously, how dare Tiffany do this to her? Texting her spoilers while she was at work was a crime that should result in the worst type of punishment!

 

Ping. Ping.

 

With one hand on the steering wheel, she used the other to shove her phone into her pocket so she wouldn’t be tempted to read any more spoilers. When she finally parked in the garage, Taeyeon stalked into the house with a blazing fury toward her wicked girlfriend.

 

“Yah! Hwang Miyoung Tiffany!” Taeyeon shouted loudly as her voice bounced against the walls. She made her way to the living room, intending to murder her girlfriend, but the sight before her left her shocked.

 

Tiffany was sprawled on the couch, casually flipping through the pages to a magazine. The television hadn’t been , Taeyeon was sure of it, because she placed her palm against it to make sure it wasn’t warm.

 

“Welcome back,” Tiffany waved her hand coolly.

 

“Weren’t you watching the new episode?” Taeyeon asked, exasperated.

 

“No. I was waiting for you.” Tiffany grinned mischievously as she placed the magazine down on the table nearby. “You actually thought I’d spoil the show for you?”

 

When Taeyeon’s ears turned pink and she gawked at her, Tiffany threw her head back and laughed.

 

“Gosh, Taeyeon, you’re such a er!” Tiffany hugged her tummy. “I can’t believe you actually fell for it!”

 

Three seconds of Tiffany’s teasing laughter was all Taeyeon allowed before she tossed her phone onto the table and pounced on Tiffany with a tickling vengeance.

 

[Before]

 

They did everything together. It was as if they were conjoined at the hip.

 

If Tiffany wanted to watch a boring musical, Taeyeon might have dragged her feet, but she still forced herself to endure listening to hours of nonstop singing with her girlfriend.

 

If Taeyeon decided she didn’t want to do anything but lie in bed and play on her phone all day, then Tiffany would drop her purse and toss her heels to the side as she curled up against her little house fairy.

 

[After]

 

“What?”

 

She knew Taeyeon had heard it, but nonetheless, she repeated herself. “I’m going to the States for a bit. Maybe think of it as a mini vacation?”

 

“But without me. A vacation without your girlfriend of ten years.”

 

“I-It’s for work though, Taetae.” Tiffany in her lower lip, gazing guiltily at her girlfriend.

 

“But we do everything together.”

 

“I know, but it’s a major acting offer. It might even be a once in a lifetime opportunity to get my foot in the Hollywood industry.”

 

“I know that!” Taeyeon snapped and instantly regretted it when Tiffany winced as if she had just slapped her. “, I’m sorry,” She hurriedly hugged her tightly. “I didn’t mean to shout at you. I just feel so helpless and frustrated. I don’t want you to go, but I don’t want to trap you here.”

 

“It’ll only be for a few months. We’ll talk everyday, even if I have to interrupt a shoot just to answer your call. It’ll be like we’re always together.”

 

“Dammit, I hate this.” Taeyeon suddenly burst into tears as she kissed Tiffany hard and passionately. “But I love you.”

 

[Before]

 

Thunderstorms and a frightened chicken paranoid after watching horror movies was not a good combination for Taeyeon to say the three sacred words.

 

“OW! Stop! It’s me!” Taeyeon shouted, writhing in pain until Tiffany finally recognized her limp girlfriend, who had decided to sneak into her room at one in the morning.

 

“Taeyeon? Oh my god, I could’ve killed you!” Tiffany briefly tossed away her bat to help her girlfriend up. “What are you doing here? Were you trying to give me a heart attack?”

 

“Something like that.” Taeyeon brought them both to the bed and affectionately held onto Tiffany’s warm hands. “Look, I couldn’t sleep at all tonight. And I think it was because all I could think about was saying it to you.”

 

“Say what to me?”

 

“I love you…” And for some reason she panicked and added, “I think.”

 

“You think?” Tiffany knew how much effort Taeyeon was putting in to pour her heart out in the open, but it was just too hard not to giggle and for it.

 

“N-No, I mean—” Taeyeon panicked and she looked at Tiffany with confidence. “I don’t think.” She took a deep breath, calming her nerves as she cupped Tiffany’s face between her palms. “I know I love you, Hwang Tiffany.”

 

Taeyeon had expected an I-love-you back, but what she got in return was a teary smile, flushed cheeks and loving stares before she allowed her lips to do the talking.

 

[After—(Yesterday)]

 

Taeyeon had slept alone today. It was her 139th day of doing so, actually.

 

Taeyeon woke up the following morning. However, she was not alone.

 

Tiffany was here, curled up by her side with limbs naturally tangling themselves with Taeyeon’s.

 

Her hair was no longer a sheen black—it was a caramel brown now.

 

Her outfit seemed far too different from her usual tastes—it practically screamed the luxurious part of Hollywood.

 

Even her smell had changed—how could Taeyeon explain it? It was still sweet, but there was a hint of something else, like hot and spicy. Taeyeon was definitely not complaining though.

 

It was clear that things had changed. Her Tiffany was different, and it made her feel slightly uneasy.

 

A yawn had disrupted Taeyeon’s thoughts before a pair of sleepy, familiar eyes had met her own. Her Tiffany’s eyes.

 

Taeyeon had suddenly experienced this overwhelming ball of heat in the pit of her stomach as she melted under her gaze. All the familiar, intense feelings were resurfacing all at once, and before she could help herself, she was bumping noses with her girlfriend and saying, “I love you.”

 

Even as time moved forward and people grew, there was one thing that Taeyeon knew would always remain the same, and that was the peachy, blushing cheeks and lovely curving eyesmiles of the one and only Hwang Tiffany.

***

[Present-time]

 

“I don’t think you and Sunny have anything to worry about. Change might not be such a bad thing.” Taeyeon stood up to leave as she patted Sooyoung’s head. She had a date night with Tiffany. It was for the premiere of her girlfriend’s new movie. Oh, did she forget to mention that they were heading there on a helicopter? “Trust me, it gets better.”


 

I wrote it, but I'm still sad. Even if it's failed for me, I hope this cheers you guys up T_T