Mystery Girl

Mystery Girl

 

Mystery Girl

 

 

 

Choi Jong hun

 

 

It was 11pm sharp; I was walking home from some late night classes when this mystery girl had run into me. She was quite weird, and crazy…it seems to me she was wearing an outfit like those who would wear in the hospital, but it doesn’t seem to me like she’s a normal patient. “OMG!!!! She must have been one of those psycho freaks who have gotten away.

At that moment I tried to calm her down but she just kept on holding my arm and asking me to take her away. “No no no, I can’t.” I told her. I tried to push her away, but man she is strong. “Please please they are coming for me…I can’t go back, please take me with you.” She kept on begging. However I kept on refusing, this went on for a about a good ten minutes until she finally took out a needle from out of nowhere and threaten me…I then have no choice but to take her to my place.

We finally arrived home. “You go ahead and sit there.” I told her pointing to a corner. She quietly went and sat there, she had her arms wrapped around her knees and sat there in silence. I looked at her for a moment then left for the shower.

Coming out from the shower I was getting ready for bed, and then I realized she’s out there in the living room with no heat, so I decided to bring her a blanket. I walked out of my room and the lights and there she was; still sitting in the same posture. I slowly walked up to her and place the blanket near her foot, but no response, I bent down for a closer look to see if she was still breathing, suddenly she lift up her head and looked at me. I was frightened and ran to my room; I closed the door shut and locked it. “I brought a psycho home with me.” I thought.

The next morning came, I woke up to get ready for work…suddenly I can smell something from the living room….It smells like food. I quickly ran out to take a look. “Good morning. Breakfast is ready, come let’s eat.” She shouted happily. I looked at her in confusion, yesterday she was a complete psycho….how did she become normal today…could she have a split personality? “Hey what are you still looking at, come and eat.” She shouted again. I went closer and noticed that she was wearing my clothes. “Hey, how did you get those clothes?” I asked her. “Oh, I found it laying there…hope you don’t mind.” She said with a smile. I was so confused with everything going on I didn’t know where to start, so I gave up and just sat right down. She was on the opposite of the table and started eating…I looked at her curiously, then decided to asked: “Ey, you! What’s your name?” She looked at me then responded, “Why do you need to know my name? I didn’t even ask for yours.” I got irritated and demanded to know her name; however she was also being stubborn and demanded for mine too. Although I have refused to tell her mine she had already figured it out from the name tag on my shirt. She laughed in excitement. “Ey, it’s not funny!” I told her. But still she smiled. At that moment I thought to myself how can a psycho like her have such a beautiful smile. I quickly broke away from that thought and told her to leave after breakfast. Her smile broke and went on begging me to let her stay for a few more days…The begging went on for quite some minutes until I have finally agreed to let her stay a few more days. But I told her she can only stay for two weeks, weather she finds somewhere else to stay or not. After the agreement I stood up and went to grab my jacket. “Mystery girl!” I called her. “Mystery girl?” she questioned. “Of course, since you’re not gonna tell me your name, there has to be something I have to call you by.” I replied. “Mystery girl! I like that….yeah, call me Mystery girl.” She responded with a smile. I looked at her for a moment then told her that I would be back late since I have classes after work. She gave me a nod then told me to go quickly before I was going to be late.

It was already 6pm but my replacement hasn’t arrived yet, I was starting to get worried my class starts at 7pm and since I missed the bus…the next one won’t be here until 8pm. I was starting to get angry, so my co-worker and friend Hongki told me to just go and he’ll cover for me, but how can I just leave him with a two person job. While trying to figure things out Hongki saw the person who was supposed to be my replacement hanging outside with his friends. I got angry and ran out to confront him. In return he threw me a punch then a fight had started….Hongki ran out to pull me away from the fight, however the owner had also came out.

For punishment I was suspended for two weeks and the other guy was fired. GREAT! How am I supposed to pay for rent now….I barely made enough for classes and now I won’t have enough for the rent?  Today has been a really bad day…first I let a psycho stay at my house and now I got myself suspended from work. What a nice move.

I got home at 8pm and there she was sitting in the same corner. She saw me and ran up to me. “Didn’t you say you’re going to be back late?” she asked. I ignored her and try to walk away, but she kept on pushing until I give her an answer. Finally I was angry enough to shout at her, I kept on yelling until I realized that I have gone too far with my anger. I quickly apologized. “I’m sorry, today has just been a bad day…so please leave me alone for the rest of the night.” She stood there in shock while I headed to my room; I shut the door and took off my shirt. Suddenly the door swung open and she came inside, I yelled once again and demanded her to get out. But she refused. “What happened?” She demanded to know. I ignored her questioned and told her to get out, but she was also determined to know. “I’m not going to go anywhere until you tell me what had happen. You’re hurt! Did somebody do this to you, because they know I’m staying here?” She asked. I looked at her in confusion… “No, I had a fight with a co-worker and I got suspended for it that’s all.” I told her. After I have told her, I could see a sign of relief like she was concerned about something. I couldn’t really read her….she is so filled with mystery that even made me scared to ask where she had come from. “Well, since it had nothing to do with me….I’ll leave you alone now.” She said, and then walked out. I took a deep breath and went back to my business.

Next day came I woke up to start the day. I opened my door and there she stood, waiting for me. “Hurry get dress, we’re gonna go have some fun today.” She stated. I told her I wasn’t going to go, however she had somehow managed to get me to go. And there our adventure had begun…

Since I was suspended I couldn’t afford to get to class, so I have spent a whole week exploring Korea with Mystery girl, we walked here and there…and when chances come where we could work for some change to have a little fun, we wouldn’t miss out on it. Spending the past week with Mystery girl had really brought my mind back to my younger days.

Finally we had have enough fun for the day and decided to go sit by the beach and talked.

“Have you ever loved someone?” Mystery girl asked out of the blue. “Why? Are you curious?” I asked her. “Well, I just wanted to know…because I have never been in a relationship so…I don’t know how it would feel like.” She replied.  I looked at her and thought how can she never have been in a relationship? “Well, I have been in love once….” I finally told her. “She was everything a guy could ask for. But unfortunately we have to postpone our relationship….” “What do you mean by postponing? She asked again. So I told her the story…. “Well, as you can see I’m not those rich guys, I’m just those who can only live day by day….so her father was against our love and said to me that if I can come back in five years become rich he’ll hand his daughter over to me. It’s already been three years and I haven’t even accomplished a thing….I’m just a big failure.” “So do you still believe in your love?” She questioned. I shook my head. “No, I don’t think she is still waiting for me.” I answered. I could see a slight smile in her face. And then she asked, “So is there any way you can spare a little of that love?” I looked at her while trying to figure out what she was really trying to say. Suddenly I heard my name called from afar. I turned to look, and there UEE was walking rapidly over to us. “Who is she?” Mystery girl asked. “She’s my girlfriend.” I answered.

UEE finally got closer. “Choi jong hun, how can you do this to me?” “I didn’t do anything…” I told her.  “Don’t lie, you’re cheating behind my back…..I thought your love was true.” She said to me with a straight face. “UEE it’s not what you think…” I tried to explain. “WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT’S NOT WHAT I THINK….I HAVE BEEN SPYING ON YOU GUYS THIS PAST WEEK…” UEE shouted with anger. Mystery girl got frightened and try to walk away…but UEE grab hold of her and started beating her. “UEE, STOP! LET GO OF HER…IT’S NOT HER FAULT.” I try to pull UEE off of her, but all of the sudden the whole chunk of hair flew off of Mystery girl’s head. Mystery girl instantly pushed UEE away and put her hands over her head. She looked at me in silence but I could see that her eyes were getting teary. We stood silent for a moment looking at each other until Mystery girl had finally ran away… “Mystery girl!!!!” I called as she was running way. “Choi jong hun!” UEE shouted my name again. I turned to look at her. “Tell me right now, are you choosing her over me?” I sigh, “UEE, I didn’t say I was choosing her over you…but what you did was wrong, this is one of the reasons why we never work out. You have to put trust in me too, please.” I told her. “But, you let her stay with you.” She fought back.” I finally got tired of arguing with her so I grabbed Mystery girl’s wig and walked away. “Choi Jong hun!!!” UEE kept on shouting as I kept on walking away.

When I finally got home I called out for mystery girl, but she’s apparently not home yet. I was starting to get a little worried, so I waited the whole night for her….but she didn’t return. I decided to just head off to bed and maybe she’ll be back by morning….

The next morning came but she still wasn’t back, so I decided to go out and look for her.

Three days went by and I’m still looking….on the back of my head I just couldn’t figure out why I’m looking for her, isn’t it good that she left? I sigh…my head was going to explode, so I decided to stop searching, and went to a market to get some coffee then I shall just go home.

I finally home, I went in the lights. “OH MY GOD!!!” I shouted in fear. Mystery girl was back. She came back with a new wig and was sitting in front of the little dining table. But this time she didn’t look happy. “Where have you been?” I asked her, but she kept silent.” I was getting a little scared but then decided to ask again. “Where have you been these past few days? I was getting worried.” I told her. “Choi Jong hun!” She called my name… “Yeah!?” I responded. “I have been doing lots of thinking these days….” She suddenly stopped. I was curious so I told her to continue on. “Let’s get married!” She said. “WHAT!?” I shouted in confusion. “I want you to marry me!” She replied. I was confused by her sudden proposal but I had to refuse. “It hasn’t even been two weeks since we’ve met, and now you want to marry me? NO!” “Let’s get married, I have papers right here too…all you have to do now is sign your name.” She said as she was showing me the papers. I seriously thought she was crazy…She was starting to scare me so I had made the decision to tell her to leave. However she had refused to go if I’m not going to sign the marriage contract. We went at it for quite a while until she had gone wild and pulled out a knife and threaten to kill herself in front of me….and being the soft hearted guy that I am I had to give in…I signed the contract and stepped away into a corner, looking at her. She took the papers looked at it and started laughing…pretty soon tears were also coming down; she put the papers against her chest and continue to cry…I was disgusted looking at her and angry. I then walked out to Hongki’s place. I have spent about two nights over there until Hongki has decided to tell me to go home and figure everything out. I was a little hesitant, but then decided to do what he has suggested.

Walking home all I was thinking about was how to get her to get a divorce. My life has turned completely upside down after meeting her and nothing good has come out of it.

I got home opened the door and there she was sitting by the corner again. She stood up and said, “You’re finally back, I thought I wasn’t going to see you anymore.” I looked at her but didn’t answer her. She looked very pale to me this time so I asked her… “Have you been starving?” She smiled and answered, “Well, I really didn’t have any appetite these days. I was furious with her so I yelled at her, “It doesn’t matter if you have an appetite or not you should still at least eat something.” She smiled at me again. I got angry and asked why she is still smiling, and her answered was, “Even though you’re mad at me for making you marry me, you’re still concerned about my health.” She continued on, “I know what I did was wrong, but I just wanted to have that feeling of being a married woman, but honestly I didn’t feel any different since there was no husband around to make me feel that way.” “Look I’m sorry but I just can’t….this marriage was something I didn’t expect. “I told her.” “I know, and I’m willing to give you a divorce.” She said with a smile. I looked at her with confusion and asked, “You’re really willing to divorce me?” She nodded but she told me in return I have to spend a night with her, just a night….and she’ll give me the divorce papers first thing in the morning. So I have agreed.

That night, she had cooked a meal for us to share then after that we have went to rest in my room. She had asked me to put my arms around her and hold her for the night; I was hesitant but still went on with it. Sitting while holding her in my arms I have finally asked, “Since we have gotten into this brief marriage are you going to at least tell me your name before you head off tomorrow?” she closed her eyes and told me, “You’ll know tomorrow, when I finally give the papers. I want my name to be a remembrance to you, that I once was your wife for a brief time.” “Why can’t I know now?” I asked again. “Shh, I’m getting tired, can you hold me like this until tomorrow?” she asked. I nodded my head and pulled her closer to me, and then we both fell asleep.

It was finally morning, I woke up and she was gone. “Mystery girl!” I called her name, but there was no answer. I went out to take a look but no one was there. On the table there was a note that read: “GOODBYE!!” But there was no divorce paper or anything…she lied to me. So I thought I shall go look for her and settle this. I went into my room to grab a jacket, and then a knock came from the door, I went to open it and there, it was two gentlemen in high class suit. “Hi! Are you Mr. Choi jong hun?” one of them asked. “Yes.” I answered. “Great, can we have a word.” He asked. So I invited them in. We all sat around my little dining table, then one of them started talking. “Well, hello. I’m Kang Jun hee and this is Lee Hyuk. We are Ahn Hye won’s  lawyers.” “Wait, wait…Ahn Hye won? The Ahn Hye won whose family owns the four biggest Mall here in Korea with three other islands?” I interrupted. “Yes.” Answered Kang Jun hee. “Then why are you guys here? Because I have never even met Ahn Hye won.” I said. Then Lee Hyuk said to me, “Well apparently…. you were married to her.” My eyes widen in shock. “What did you just say?” I asked again. “The woman you were married to was Miss Ahn Hye won.” Said Lee Hyuk. “And we are here today, because we have a duty of handing over all her inheritance to you.” He said again. I was in total shock I didn’t know what to start saying or asking….this was like winning the lottery. “Where is she?” I asked in excitement. Both of them went silent. “What’s wrong? Where is she?” I asked again. Then Kang Jun hee gave me the news. “Miss Ahn Hye won had already passed away this morning at 7am.” My excitement broke down into pieces. “What happened?” I asked. “Well, Miss Ahn has been in bad health these past few years, she was diagnosed with cancer and knew that she wouldn’t make it to take over what her parents have left. So she had decided to start looking for an individual who would have the heart and soul to look after it. Apparently you were the one she had chosen. But In order for us to give everything to you, you had to be married to her, that’s why she had forced you into marriage. She trusts you with everything, so we trust you too. As of today we are now your lawyers….so if you could please sign here to claim everything.” Lee Hyuk asks of me. But my mind went blink, it was such a huge blow. It makes sense now; everything from the beginning

From her hospital suit the first night we met, to her hair loss and to her pale white skin. “I should have known.” I said with disappointment. “It wasn’t your fault, Mr. Choi. It was Hye won who had wanted to keep it a secret in the very beginning.” Mr. Kang said to me. “Where is her body placed?” I asked them. “It’s in the Hospital, in a cool storage. We will have to proceed with her funeral soon after the claim of your inheritance.” They said. So I told them, “Take me to her. I want to see her.”

We left for the hospital and I was brought into the storage where she was kept. I slowly walked up to her and the bag she was place into…so many things was going through in my mind. I looked at her, and touched her cheeks down to her lips. “I won’t let you down.” I told her. “And I’m sorry.” I said again. Tears were coming down, I couldn’t stop it, if I had treated her better maybe she would have the motivation to keep fighting her illness. I slowly grabbed her hand and placed a ring on her married finger. The ring was saved up for UEE, but now my only wife shall be Ahn Hye won.

It’s been a week since her funeral. I went back to the place where we had last had our fun together. I sat alone in silence for a moment then took out a letter. The letter was given to me by Lee Hyuk before Hye won’s funeral, he said she left it for me. I opened the letter and it read:

 

Hi, Jong hun,

Are you the one reading my letter right now? ^_^

Well, where to begin. I just wanted to start off by saying “thank you!”You have been putting up with me for several weeks and were still that kind gentleman I knew you were.I know it came off as a surprise to you that I left everything in your care. But I know that the decision I have made was the right one.You know, spending the last two weeks of my life with you was truly a gift. It will always be a moment that I carry with me through out every generation. It’s probably weird to say this but I think I have fallen in love with you. Maybe that’s why I didn’t think twice about leaving everything for you. Sorry for making you suffer all these times. I won’t be any trouble anymore. You’re a billionaire now. Go get back your Uee. I’m sure she’ll make you happy. I give you all my blessings.

I LOVE YOU!

                                              All my love,

                                                                                                                                                                 Ahn Hye won aka Mystery girl.

 

I finished reading the letter in tears. And now that she is gone, I only had realized that my heart had already belonged to her.

                                                                                 “ Hye won ah….I LOVE you too!”

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's note: Thanks everyone who took the time to come and read my story...