Worlds Apart

Worlds Apart

 

Jihoon was sitting in front of his computer. He should have been writing, yet he wasn’t staring at the blank page that taunted him. He was staring at the flawless flesh of his forearm. Although he told himself to not dwell on his ill fate too much, Jihoon couldn’t help it. He was never going to meet his soulmate.

He has come to terms with it. As much as he loved his soulmate, they just weren’t meant to be together in this lifetime.

----------------------------------------------

His mother thought there was something wrong with him. At a young age, whenever Jihoon played with markers or pens, whatever markings he had gotten on his skin disappeared. It was the oddest of things to happen in a world where you shared your skin with your soulmate. Neither of them could figure what it meant.

And as much as his mother could learn about the soulmate markings, she never did find out what it meant when marks disappeared.

Of course the worrying did pass, for his mother, when marking did show up on Jihoon’s skin. Only, another round of disbelief struck her mind as the marking lasted only matter of minutes before disappearing again.

Instead of worrying too much about what couldn’t be changed, his mother decided to settle with the good news of it all. Jihoon had a soulmate, and his soulmate was out there somewhere. She didn’t want her son to grow up alone, like she had to.

In his younger days, Jihoon didn’t care too much about anything that had to do with the soulmate marks. He was too invested in books. The moment he was taught to read, he couldn’t stop reading. His second most favorite place to go to was the library, where he could check out any number of books that he could hold in his arms. His most favorite place was the safety of his own bedroom. Any free moment he had was spent with a book in his hands.

It was when he was 14 when it happened. Jihoon was laying down in his bed, reading yet another book. He was happy to be lost in another world. But a slight searing pain brought him back to reality.

Through a grimace, Jihoon glared at his forearm.

The kids at school did talk of their soulmate markings, but Jihoon had only heard snippets when his mind wasn’t too lost in his books. He was sure they never mentioned any kind of pain. He was also sure it wasn’t this painful when he was a child. It was a kind of pain he would have remembered, considering how many times random marks used to appear when he was a child.

Placing a bookmark in the spot he was reading, Jihoon gripped at his arm. The pain was bearable, but for it to be happening for the first time, it shocked him to no end. He knew it was inevitable, having his soulmate try to find him through their shared skin. Everyone grew up wanting to get to know their soulmate, wanting to be friends for life.

Jihoon knew it was going to happen, but he had no courage and no initiative to do it first. He also believed, if they were soulmates, nothing would have stopped them from meeting by mere coincidence.   

Staring at his arm, Jihoon watched as the words appeared.

Aren’t you at all curious?

Reading the words, Jihoon frowned. Did he want to respond? And what would he even write back?

As the words faded into his skin, Jihoon contemplated about it. Whether he wrote back or not, the person writing to him was still going to be his soulmate. It wasn’t as if he could trade his soulmate for another.

If he decided to not write back, making their situation awkward, he would have to live with it. If he decided to write back, and somehow still ended making the situation awkward, he would have to live with it. Sighing, with that thought in his mind, Jihoon found a random pen and thought about what to write back.

Carefully thinking about his words, Jihoon wrote back: If we’re soulmates, then what is the rush?

Looking at his arm, Jihoon watched as the words disappeared. He couldn’t believe he did it. His mother would have cried knowing Jihoon was finally communicating with his soulmate. She had only brought it up every moment she could.

Not wanting to fall into a waiting game with his soulmate, Jihoon placed his pen down and pick up his book again. He didn’t know if his soulmate would even write back and how long it would take.

On the other hand, the characters of another world were waiting for their own story to be finished. Jihoon’s imaginations of them had them suspended in air, looking at their imaginary watches waiting on him.

Jihoon had only gotten a few sentences in when it happened again. This time he wasn’t as shocked as he was the first time, but it still hurt. He waited the pain out before looking at his arm.

I’ll be honest, my soulmate, even with my group of friends, I feel very lonely. I thought if there was one person I could talk to, it would be you.

Jihoon closed his book, knowing he wouldn’t be reading it anymore that night. He took his time, thinking to himself if he ever felt lonely. In one sense he was alone, considering how he didn’t have many real life friends. And in another sense, Jihoon had made many friends with all the books he had read.

If he was ever feeling upset, Jihoon knew he could turn to books. He wanted to insist his soulmate to read more, but he also knew how insensitive it would be. If Jihoon had learnt anything through reading, it was that every person was uniquely different. Everyone had their own take of the world, and their own ways with dealing with what was going on. Who was he to judge his soulmate, other than the fact that he was his soulmate’s other half.

Even if Jihoon wanted to wait on getting to know his soulmate, he could tell his soulmate needed the communication between them. In all the words he had read through the years, his soulmate’s seeped with sadness.

Taking up his pen again, Jihoon fumbled with words in his mind, trying to make sure he knew what he was going to respond with first. When he was satisfied, Jihoon started writing: Tell me then, what is bothering you?

The words disappear, and Jihoon waits.

I guess I’m just jealous. All my friends have been chatting with their soulmates, and we’ve yet to even exchange names.

Jihoon scoffs at how ridiculous his soulmate was being. Yet he couldn’t help but want to make it up to his soulmate. As much as he wanted to wait to get to know his soulmate, he didn’t want to make his soulmate suffer during that time.

Taking up his pen again, Jihoon was ready for replying: Are you ready to tell me your name then?

It didn’t take too long for the reply to come. Holding his forearm, to try to contain the pain, Jihoon watches as the words appear.

Choi Seungcheol. And yours? Unless it’s okay with you that I refer to you as ‘my soulmate’.

Rolling his eyes at the last bit, Jihoon couldn’t believe how flirtatious his soulmate was being. Getting over the flirting, his chest felt like exploding at the sight of his soulmate’s name. He didn’t mind his soulmate being a boy or girl, but to finally find out was nerve-racking.

Jihoon hesitated to write his own name, the pen slightly shaking in his hand. What if this Choi Seungcheol didn’t want his soulmate to be a boy. It was another worry Jihoon had tried to avoid when waiting on getting to know his soulmate, what if his soulmate didn’t want him.

Sure, his soulmate was being sweet right now, but would it change when he found out who Jihoon was in real life?

Questions upon questions filled Jihoon with doubt.

Anxiety ate away at Jihoon as he twirled the pen in his hand. Sitting up from his laying position, Jihoon crossed his legs and placed his chin in the palm not being used to write. While he ignored the forearm he was using to converse with his soulmate, Jihoon thought about all his other issues.

Thinking about it, he could see how ridiculous he was being, it was just giving his soulmate his name. It shouldn’t be this hard! But giving his name out was such a big step to Jihoon. He barely made any friends throughout his life - and not that any of them stayed very long to be long-term friends anyways, - and to have someone know his name on a personal level was life changing.

Before he could get any further in his thoughts, a pain seared through his forearm. Lifting his head, Jihoon brought his arm out to see what his soulmate had to say.

My soulmate, no matter what your name is, you are mine. No matter what happens in the future, bad or good, I will learn to love you. Although, if there is another reason for the late reply, just know you can’t get rid of me. I’ll be here with you for the rest of our lives.

Reading Seungcheol’s words calmed Jihoon. Of course the anxiety still sat at the bottom of his stomach, but it was easier to deal with knowing his soulmate was so caring.

Placing a hand over his racing heart, Jihoon breathed in and out to calm himself down. He was done making his soulmate wait. With still shaking hands, Jihoon was determined to write his own name down.

Carefully choosing his words, Jihoon settled with what sounded genuine to himself. Which made things pretty simple.

Sorry, I’m not really good with conversing. My name is Lee Jihoon.

He watched as the words sunk in. Plopping back down on his bed, Jihoon groaned at how fast his heart was still beating.

Having conversations, talking to ones soulmate, making a deeper connection, it puzzled Jihoon to no end. How did people do this? It is seen as so simple, but all Jihoon could think about was all the things that could turn out wrong.

All his nightmares rushed up to the frontlines and stood up against his cowering form.

Jihoon was brought back to reality when the dull pain returned to his forearm. Looking on, he waited for Seungcheol’s words to form.

My soulmate, Lee Jihoon, Jihoonie, Hoonie, Hoon, Ji, my whole world. It’s only our first conversation of many more to come, and already you have made me the happiest person alive.

It was too much for Jihoon. His mom had shown him motherly affection, but he had never received affection from any other person. It was too new, too raw, too real. It was something Jihoon had never known he needed.

Letting the fear slide away, Jihoon crouched in a fetal position and let himself realize he was known and seen in the world. Tears came of their own accord as Jihoon accepted the acknowledgement of being alive.

----------------------------------------------

Cheol, I know you’re one year older than me, but I swear, sometimes I feel like I’m talking with a child.

:( I just want to read something romantic from you, is that too much to ask?

Did you just write a sad face at me?

Hoonie Hoon, my lovely soulmate, even if you don’t say it, I know you love me.

If you already know then why do you ask?

...

I love you. I hate how much you’ve become my world, but I wouldn’t have it any other way, I couldn’t live any other way. Seungcheol, do you even know what you do to me? I become such a fool when I think of you.

My sweet foolish soulmate. I love you.

...

;p

----------------------------------------------

After a year of writing to each other through their shared skin, the pain had become bearable. It had become another part of living life. To see the beauty, you had to endure some pain.

Another year passed and Jihoon couldn’t believe how much his life had changed since he started writing with Seungcheol everyday. A huge chunk of his time was still spent reading, but Seungcheol took up every other spare moment.

As much as Seungcheol wanted to write with Jihoon every moment of the day, he also knew how important it was for him to read. So when Jihoon started to fall in love with writing, Seungcheol couldn’t even get mad at losing more time with the determined Jihoon. Especially when it was Seungcheol, himself, who helped Jihoon find his calling.

You know, since you read so much, and reading all the things you’ve sent me, you should actually try writing your own story.

Write my own story? I wouldn’t even know where to begin.

Start with a beginning, then continue with the middle, and finish with an end.

Haha, you think you’re so smart don’t you.

Seriously though, you’ve read enough to get in the flow of writing. Everything else you can learn on the way. No one ever started out amazing, they had to go through a lot of practice and fails.

Do you really think I could do well with it?

I think you are going to be outstanding Jihoon! Just think about it for now, if it’s something you seriously want to do for the rest of your life, it should be thought out.

You know me too well, thank you Cheollie.

I love you :)

Love you too :p

----------------------------------------------

Jihoon, I’ve had enough of it today.

What do you mean? You’ve pushed and pushed me to find my dream job, yet you’re just going to ignore my helping you?

I didn’t push you, I helped guide you to what already made you happy. You’ve had books around you all your life. Even before you knew it, you were a born writer. I, on the other hand, didn’t have anything like that. I don’t know what I want to do.

And that is exactly why I want to discuss it with you.

I get it enough from my parents, my teachers, my friends, I really do not want it from you too.

Fine! Live as a bum then Choi Seungcheol!

As long as you know that your soulmate is a bum then it’s okay! Go and write, or read, do something productive!

Talking with my soulmate, who I want to support, is productive!

----------------------------------------------

It wasn’t the first and only argument they had. Somedays it was huge leaving them to not talk with each other for days, and other days it was small and the one who was wrong apologized. As much as it was Seungcheol apologizing and being the first one to write back, Jihoon also had his shares of faults.

Jihoon thought they would have skirted around their wrongdoings, yet they learnt from them and continued to discuss them in the future. Their conversations were informative, open ended, and eye opening. Never in his mind did Jihoon think a relationship would be like this, but he loved it. He loved everything about Seungcheol.

----------------------------------------------

Hey, Ji, I have something I need to tell you.

It was pretty late already, and Jihoon was still writing away at his computer. The pain searing through his skin made him stop. He would have thought Seungcheol would have been asleep. If he was up this late, wanting to talk about something, it must have been important. Taking the pen he kept near him always, Jihoon wrote back.

It’s pretty late, Cheol. What’s up?

Someone confessed to liking me today. Is that even possible, especially since we all have our own soulmates? Why did this person have to put doubts in themselves, and why did they have to make me feel like this.

A cold sweat broke through Jihoon’s skin. Someone likes his soulmate...

He wanted to overreact without even hearing the full story. He wanted to scream at whoever made Seungcheol feel whatever way he was. He wanted to cling on to his soulmate and never let go.

Hoonie, I did say no. It makes me wonder though. If this person is capable of overcoming the soulmate markings, what if that happens with us? What if one day one of us decides we don’t care about everything we’ve built up? What if one day one of us decides to call it quits and never writes anything ever again?

With every sentence Jihoon read he started to shake with anger and fear. What was his soulmate saying? He would never want to lose Seungcheol. How could Seungcheol even think of it?

Never, Seungcheol. Don’t you even dare think of it anymore. You are mines and I am yours. Nothing is going to change that fact. Our fate was written with forever in it. Nobody will be able to take me away from you. I love you too much to lose you.

Jihoon. My soulmate. I love you. I hope you know you will never lose me.

Jihoon didn’t know how much longer he would have to wait to meet Seungcheol, but he wanted to hold on to him right now. He wanted to assure his soulmate that nothing would ever come between them. He couldn’t sleep because he was writing earlier, but now he couldn’t sleep because he was overcome with a new ache for Seungcheol.

----------------------------------------------

Hoonie, I’m warning you right now. My friend is going to be taking over my arm to write to you. I have no control over it.

Jihoon stared at his arm with suspicion. Seungcheol’s words did seem to become hurried scribbles at the end. But why would his friends want to talk to Jihoon? If he had questions, Seungcheol could have answered anything. Seungcheol knew just about everything in Jihoon’s life.

The words disappeared and just a quick another message arrived.

Lee Jihoon, I’m Yoon Jeonghan, your soulmate’s best friend. I have only one thing to ask of you. If my soulmate and I are not around to torture Seungcheol, you have to. No matter what. Coerce him into doing cute things, remind him to tie his shoelaces when he doesn’t have any, don’t let him kiss you unless he begs!

Blinking down at the words, and the style it was written in, he could definitely tell it wasn’t Seungcheol anymore. He didn’t know how seriously he should take Jeonghan’s words. Who asks this stuff out of people? But he did self-proclaim himself as Seungcheol’s best friend. Deciding to entertain Jeonghan, Jihoon grabbed his pen.

Don’t worry Yoon Jeonghan, best friend of my soulmate. Not only will I do all that you have asked, I will do even more than that. I’m going to make sure he can’t ever leave my side, even if that means the both of us are using the same bathroom stall. I am going to ask that he kisses and hugs himself every morning and night from me when I'm not there. And he won’t ever have a dull moment when I am writing to him constantly telling him how much I love him.

Jihoon’s face flushed at the thought of Seungcheol’s best friend reading his words. He wanted to prove he was going to take care of his soulmate. No matter what it took.

Okay. Okay. I approve of you. I like how you think. You guys are cute together. Oh and Seungcheol wants his arm back. He read your words. I’m pretty sure he wants to tell you how much he loves you. Don’t worry, I’ll tell him to take care of you.

----------------------------------------------

My soulmate, my life, my whole world.

Jihoon smiled, looking down at his forearm as the words appeared. Seungcheol was such a sap, but he was Jihoon’s sap, and he loved it. Smiling as he shook his head a bit, he reaches over for his pen.

Cheolie Cheol, you’re in a good mood today. Did something good happen?

You, you, and you. Everything I do is for you. I know what my dreams and goals are now.

That is exciting!! Don’t keep me waiting, tell me!

:) I’m going to build you a house, from scratch, with my architectural design. I’m gonna go to school for architecture.

I love it already. I’m so proud of you!

You’re going to have your own writing room in the library. And of course my office will be right next door, so I can visit you when I miss you. I’ll have the kitchen near by so I can cook you food when you’re hungry and don’t feel like making yourself something to eat.

You’ve thought of everything :)

Where should we put the baby’s room? Otherwise we could always have a guest room we can turn into a baby’s room when we decide we’re ready.

Do you think we’re going to have time for a child, if we’re so busy with our jobs?

Of course we’ll have time! Once you become a famous author, I won’t have to worry about working too much. I’ll take care of our children. And you’ll read to them, they’ll love it.

Children? Cheol, how did it jump from child to children?

If it’s with you, I wouldn’t mind more than one. They’ll grow up with the best parents ever.

You better learn how to change a diaper!

;)

:p

----------------------------------------------

How was your first day of college? Did you make any friends?

Everyone was so intimidating. They all stared down at me with their judging eyes. I couldn’t do it Cheol, I just couldn’t bring myself to talk to anyone.

It’s fine, Ji. You can try tomorrow, and if it doesn’t work out tomorrow you can try the day after that. If it doesn’t work out at all, then it’s okay. It’ll be me and you against the world. Plus some of my clinging friends. But as long as you and I are together, we’ll be fine.

You and me against the world. I like that.

;) Forget about the people for now, did you like all your classes?

Sitting there, listening to the professors talk so passionately about their subjects, was ethereal. It was so different from past classes I’ve taken. It was great, everything about it was just so great. I’ve learnt so much already in the first day.

I knew you would love it. Learning and broadening your horizon, no matter how quiet you are about it, is something you thrive for.

----------------------------------------------

Hoonie, we should talk about it.

Jihoon read the words and watched as they disappeared. His heart pulsed irregularly and kept going at a fast pace. He could already guess what Seungcheol wanted to talk about. They’ve been skirting around the subject for a while.

He was nearly 20, while Seungcheol was 21. They were well into their college days, and they had yet to meet each other in real life. Seungcheol was ready, it was all he wanted. Jihoon knew very well of this.

But Jihoon wasn’t so sure of himself anymore. He knew he loved Seungcheol with all his heart. Nothing was ever going to change that fact. But what if Seungcheol took one look at him and decided it was all wrong. Jihoon didn’t want to take that chance. He didn’t want to lose someone who was so important to him.

My sweet sweet foolish soulmate, whatever worries you have on your mind, nothing is ever going to make me run from you. I love you for you, not for appearances.

Is it so important, for us to be meeting right now? Especially when we should be concentrating on our schooling?

Ji, half my friends have met their soulmates, and are working towards having a life together already. All I want is for you to be near me, I want us to be together.

I... I don’t think I can right now, Seungcheol. I do want to meet you, but I... I can’t.

Lee Jihoon. I cannot believe you right now. By now, after knowing each other for six years, you should know how much I love you. No matter what happened, I would never choose anything or anyone else over you. How many times do I have to say it. I love you. I love YOU. I LOVE YOU!

----------------------------------------------

Ji.

Jihoon was up late writing again. He hadn’t been chatting with Seungcheol for a while. They were in a very awkward situation, and Jihoon didn’t know how to fix it. He wanted to, since he missed writing to Seungcheol so much, but all Seungcheol wanted to talk about was getting together.

Something was up though, Seungcheol’s writing was sloppier than normal.

Seungcheol?

I’m going to find you. We’re going to be together forever.

Looking at Seungcheol’s writing, Jihoon wondered if he was drunk.

Are you drunk, Cheol?

So what if I am? You’re not here to make me stop, or to watch me, or to join me. You’re not here at all.

Jihoon’s heart ached at his soulmate’s words. It was true, if Jihoon was there he could have at least been taking care of him.

Go to sleep Seungcheol. You’re not thinking right.

I’ve already made up my mind. I’m going to find you. Cause I love you.

Sighing, Jihoon put down his pen. He wasn’t going to write back. Their conversations tended to go in circles and he didn’t have the heart to do it, especially when Seungcheol was drunk.

----------------------------------------------

Ji, I get it. I do. You’re scared. Knowing of your soulmate is different from actually being with your soulmate. Things are bound to change a bit when we do get together. We’re not going to be writing to each other, dealing with the pain of our words appearing and disappearing, We actually have to communicate with talking. I know how insecure you are with it. But I’m going to there with you, every step of the way. I’m never going to leave you.

----------------------------------------------

Lee Jihoon. Why do you have to be so difficult? Why do you have to do this to me? Why did I have to get such a difficult soulmate? Why did I have to fall in love with such a difficult person?

----------------------------------------------

You say you love me but you can’t even face me. You can’t even face me. Do you even love me anymore? Did you even love me at all?

----------------------------------------------

Hoon Hoonie, my lovely foolish soulmate. I miss you too much. Can’t I just see one word from you?

----------------------------------------------

In case you forgot. I do still love you. You own my heart and soul. I’m not going anywhere.

----------------------------------------------

Jihoon was restless. He couldn’t sleep, he could barely eat, he wasn’t doing much other than writing and reading. It was the only time he felt any other emotions rather than sadness. The thought of seeing Seungcheol in real life scared him.

He knew it made no sense. Having his soulmate with him should have been a great thing. He should have been over the edge with happiness, beside himself with giddy, over the moon with the thought of being together forever with his soulmate.

But he was scared. He was afraid Seungcheol would try to get to know him and think of him as fake. He was fearful of Seungcheol going against his own words, and backing away from being together with Jihoon.

And he did know. He was kind of already losing Seungcheol.

----------------------------------------------

After much thinking, Jihoon was going to do it. All he knew was he couldn’t lose Seungcheol. He knew his soulmate would wait for him, but he was done making Seungcheol suffer.

It excited him to no end, having thoughts of finally getting to see seungcheol. He sat at his desk, tapping his pen against his temple, contemplating it. Jihoon despised himself for waiting so long to be okay with meeting. He could have been spending all these painful lonely days with his soulmate.

Seungcheol.

He hadn’t been initiating any conversations in a while, he hoped it would shock Seungcheol enough to have him write back faster.

Jihoon waited and waited, yet nothing had come within the first few minutes. He was sure Seungcheol wasn’t too busy, it was pretty late at night already. Jihoon was sure his soulmate would have been at home, buried in his homework.

Cheol, can we talk? I have something important to tell you.

It was a few minutes later when the reply came.

Ji, there’s something I need to tell you.

I have something to tell you too :)

This is serious, Jihoon. I don’t know how else to say this other than to come out and say it. I have some friends who are good at searching for people. I asked for their help to look for you. You didn’t show up anywhere in the databases. According to my friends, Lee Jihoon doesn’t exist. My friends even showed me their searches for proof. So if you aren’t Lee Jihoon, then who are you?

Jihoon sits there, stunned speechless. What is going on, what did he mean when he said Lee Jihoon doesn’t exist? He’s only been using that name all his life, how can there be no traces of him anywhere?

What are you saying? Cause for all I know, I’ve been Lee Jihoon for all my life. Seungcheol, why are you doing this?

Do you really think I would play around like this? I can’t believe you would lie like this. Was anything you told me real? Even these last few weeks, it was the reason why you wouldn’t meet me. You were scared I would have found out the truth. Tell me, was it fun to make me fall in love with someone you created? Was it fun to make a fool out of me for these last six years?

Tears brimmed Jihoon’s eyes. He couldn’t believe what he was reading. Through a blurry vision, Jihoon wrote back.

Everything, and I mean every detail, down to my name was and is real. I am Lee Jihoon, your soulmate. I fell in love with you for you. And I thought you fell in love with me for me.

----------------------------------------------

After that night, Seungcheol didn’t write back.

Jihoon’s mind wouldn’t let him even though his whole heart was yelling at him to make any mark for Seungcheol to see how alive and real he was. He wanted to do anything and everything to prove to Seungcheol how he was the Lee Jihoon he fell in love with.

But he could also tell how set Seungcheol was in believing whatever he was believing in at the moment. He knew he couldn’t change Seungcheol’s mind.

----------------------------------------------

Lee Jihoon

Sitting up, Jihoon turns on his desk lamp. He saw Seungcheol’s words before they disappeared into nothing.

There’s something I have to tell you.

Taking his pen off the desk, Jihoon thought about what to write back. Only his heart was beating rapidly and there was cold sweat along his neck. He didn’t have to think too much, as the pain returned to his arm.

I found out why you’re not in any database. I know why I can’t find you.

Jihoon really couldn’t hold himself back anymore, everything he’s been hiding wanted to come out.

Seungcheol, do you know how much I’ve missed you. This searing pain that tells me I’m alive. The you that tells me I’m worthy of anything. I want to see you and to be able to hold you. I don’t care what the database is telling you, we will find each other. We’re soulmates.

Ji. We’re never going to meet each other in this lifetime. We may be soulmates, but we’re never going to be together. We’re not even on the same world as each other’s.

Just tell me where you live. I’ll come find you.

Jihoon, do you not understand what I’m trying to tell you. Take this literally when I say we’re from different worlds.

Stop messing around, Cheol. It’s not funny.

I’ve looked into it. I found people who have been in the same situation. Ji, you don’t exist in my world. I’m pretty sure if you looked into it, I don’t exist in yours either.

----------------------------------------------

So Jihoon did look into it. He had his own source of looking into databases of people in the world. Countless days and hours later, Jihoon slumped himself against his bookshelf and forced himself not to cry.

There was no Choi Seungcheol in his world.

And of course it only set off Jihoon in search of the truth. He had to know what was going on. He looked into soulmate markings, searched and studied everything he could about them. Kind of like what his mom did when he was young.

His findings turned darker the further in he went. Tales of lost soulmates, journals of having soulmates on different worlds, trafficking kids into other galaxies. Was Seungcheol telling the truth?

After much thought, Jihoon decided he had to talk to his mom.

One look on his face and she knew why he had showed up on her doorstep. It was only after settling down with coffee did she tell him her tale.

It was a short one. They weren’t from this world. Her true soulmate did love her, but he loved her a little too much, leaving bruises on her heart and skin. So when she found out she was pregnant, she found a way out. More than her love for her soulmate, she loved their child and she didn’t want her child to live that life. She knew if she was to run away, it would have to be so far away no one would be able to find them.

With the help of a friend, she traveled across the galaxy and landed on this planet.

----------------------------------------------

If Jihoon didn’t believe Seungcheol’s words before, he did now. They were from different worlds. Worlds apart.

----------------------------------------------

How could fate be so cruel?

The love of my life, my whole world, my soulmate. I don’t know what to do. What do we do?

The father, who I’ve never met, tortured my mother. She found a one-way ticket for us to get out of the situation. Only, she didn’t know I would be losing you too.

----------------------------------------------

Jihoon was sitting in front of his computer. He should have been writing, yet he wasn’t staring at the blank page that taunted him. He was staring at the flawless flesh of his forearm. Although he told himself to not dwell on his ill fate too much, Jihoon couldn’t help it. He was never going to meet his soulmate.

He has come to terms with it. As much as he loved his soulmate, they just weren’t meant to be together in this lifetime.