021

The Light to my Darkness [hiatus]

“I just don’t think I’m suited for this!” Groaned Jinah grabbing a fist full of her hair. 

“Nana, you can do this, I know you can” said Jimin patting the girl on her back. “Let’s try again.”

“Why am I even doing this” muttered Jinah throwing the drink down the drain for the nth time. “This is just…not my style!”

Jungkook grinned and continued to observe his best friend across the bar counter with Taehyung and Hoseok. It was a few weeks after Jinah had spent the night at Sehun and his friends’ house, a beautiful Friday morning. Sehun continued to take Jinah back and forth from work and before they knew it, they were already pretty close…as friends of course.

Jinah had been called in by Namjoon early Friday morning after he had told her that he had some very exciting news for her. Jinah was officially going to learn how to obtain the official ‘bartender’ title. 

And of course she was excited at first, but that excitement soon turned into frustration and anger.

“Hey, did I miss anything?” Asked Sehun walking into the bar with one hands in his pockets, the other holding a bag full of snacks, Seokjin’s orders. 

“Hyung, don’t you have work today?” Asked Jungkook giving the man a fist bump. 

“Nope, I took the day off” said Sehun causing gasps to go off in the room.

“You?” pointed Jimin. “You have the day off? Is the world coming to an end?”

“How funny” Sehun made a face at Jimin. “Hyung’s orders”

Sehun held up the huge bag, making Seokjin smile widely.

“You brought it?” Asked Seokjin. 

“Neh neh your majesty” said Sehun slightly shaking the bag.

“Hell ya! You’re now my favorite dongsaeng” Seokjin quickly grabbed the bag.

“Hyung! I’m hurt” said Taehyung pretending to be offended. “Are we not from the same pack? Family?”

“Well do you buy me snacks?” Asked Seokjin already tearing open a chip bag.

“…you have a point kind sir” Taehyung gave him a majestic bow causing Seokjin to throw a chip at him in which he dodged. 

One by one, they started to gather around the bag full of snacks, taking whatever and stuffing it into their mouths, except for his little mate.

“So did I miss anything?” Sehun asked again taking a seat in front of the bar. He moved his gaze to his mate who had her lips pursed in concentration.

“She almost used up a whole bottle of vodka on attempting to make Cosmopolitan, but obviously that didn’t work out so she moved onto a Macau but that ended up on the floor so now she’s attempting to make a Paradise” stated Hoseok looking pretty amused with his mouth stuffed with snacks. 

“There are way too many numbers to remember!” Said Jinah frustrated. “oh hey Sehun, you’re here?” 

“oh hey Sehun?” Asked Jungkook mimicking Jinah. It was clear that Sehun was older. “She doesn’t call you oppa?”

“She refuses to call me oppa” stressing the word ‘refuses’. Jinah looked up and gave him a playful grin. 

“We don’t use formalities in America” stated Jinah simply as she brought the measuring cup to her eye level. 

“And she uses America as an excuse” retorted Sehun playfully glaring at Jinah. Jinah stuck her tongue out. 

“She calls me oppa” said Seokjin innocently. A couple of the guys agree with the oldest. 

“Well,” exasperated Sehun throwing his hands up in the air while Jinah just shrugged. “that’s just discrimination!”

“No Nana, you were suppose to put in 3 cups, not 4” said Jimin correcting the girl who had just poured 4 cups of gin into the drink. 

“Ugh! Then where did the 4 come from?” Asked Jinah trying to pour the gin back out from the already mixed drink. 

“It was 4 teaspoons of sugar,” said Jimin stopping Jinah from trying to separate the drink. “It’s already mixed, you can’t separate it like that…” 

Jinah sighed and rolled her eyes in frustration. It was almost 10 in the morning, meaning she had been trying to learn and remember the recipes for the past 2 to 3 hours. There were just too many ingredients, numbers, and types of drinks (there’s even different types of glass cups) that she needed to remember and differentiate. 

“Come on let’s try again” encouraged Jimin. All of the members knew how to mix drinks, however Jimin was just exceptionally good at it and mostly had the patience, considering he was the one who taught every single one of them, including Taehyung who was the type to get distracted every 5 minutes. Therefore, he was assigned to be Jinah’s teacher as of this morning. 

“I can’t” whined Jinah and wiggled her body, stomping her feet immaturely. She placed both her pointer fingers on her temple giving it a slight massage. “There’s just too much to remember. And to be fair, I can’t even remember what my apartment combination is sometimes…”

Everyone’s eyes widened at her sudden confession, gazes mixed with a bit of confusion and tinge of worry. 

“Hyung, that’s your mate” whispered Taehyung pointing at the pouty girl making sure Jinah didn’t hear.

“I know, ain’t she a keeper?” Muttered Sehun.

“How’s everything going?” Chirped Namjoon walking into the room with Yoongi, who was basically the unofficial secretary of the bar. They had been cooped up in his office for the past hour, managing payments and phone calls. 

“Great!” Said Jimin optimistically.

“Horrible” muttered Jinah dumping yet another drink in the sink, glaring at the tall glass cup. “Is it illegal if I want to chuck this out the window? I mean-”

Sehun quickly stuffed a piece of bread in , preventing her from going on about how terrible she was at memorizing, basically to stop her from ranting; the boys letting out a thankful sigh. She glared at the male who grinned at her in return as she continued chewing, surprised that it tasted pretty good.

“That bad huh” stated Namjoon grabbing a bag of potato chips and plopping them into his mouth.

“Bad is just an understatement…I just don’t understand why I have to learn all this” grunted Jinah pointing at all the open bottles in front of her. 

“Weren’t you excited to learn how to do this?” Asked Yoongi glancing at the bottles. 

“Yea, that was before I knew I needed to memorize all these numbers and calculations and whatnot” whined Jinah. “There’s just too much to remember!”

“You’ll get it in no time… well, before next Saturday anyways” said Namjoon giving them all gummy smiles. 

“Why do I have learn how to do this by next Saturday?” Asked Jinah tilting her head sideways. 

“It’s the convention isn’t it” asked Seokjin raising his eyebrows. 

“Hell ya it’s the mother ing convention” said Namjoon throwing his hands up in the air. 

“What’s this convention thingy about and what does that have to do with me learning how to do make drinks” said Jinah pointing at the bar looking disgusted.

“It’s basically just a gathering for managers, owners, CEOs, etcetera etcetera to show off” explained Yoongi. 

“Hey!” Sehun cut into his explanation. “We do not show off.”

“You’re going?” Asked Jinah looking at Sehun. 

“All of us are” replied Sehun meaning that his pack members were also going.

“Oh joy” said Jinah playfully sarcastic.

“As if you don’t like that” scoffed Sehun

“I still don’t get it, what does that have to do with me learning how to mix drinks” asked Jinah pointing to herself, changing the subject. Her relationship with Sehun was weird. From shy and stiff, their conversations were more laid back and playful now.

“And that’s where you come along” smiled Namjoon, patting the girl on her head. “We need to show off our cute new addition to the team!”

“He just wants to show Lee Jinki that we’re better than them” muttered Jimin wiping a glass cup.

“I do not!” Said Namjoon dramatically denying.

Everyone, including Sehun threw him a ‘you so do’ look.

“Ok, fine I do…” admitted Namjoon taking a step back. He was the alpha but sometimes his own pack was a tad bit scary.

“Lee Jinki?” Asked Jinah in confusion. 

“His rival” answered Jungkook shaking his head at how childish their alpha and boss was.

Our rival” corrected Namjoon. “Not just rival, I absolutely hate his guts! He and his group think they’re a better bar than us?”

“Didn’t know bar owners had this much drama…” muttered Jinah. 

“They’ve been going at it for years” whispered Sehun making Jinah chuckle.

“He needs to go down ASAP” grunted Namjoon with a serious expression on his face. 

“well boss, you have my full support!” said Jinah giving Namjoon a salute.

“Great Nana, I knew I could count on you.” Grinned Namjoon. “Shall we go back to mixing?”

“…” Jinah groaned. 

“You thought he would let you off if you kissed up to him didn’t you” laughed Sehun chuckling at his naive little mate.

“Shut up” muttered Jinah glaring at the tall male standing in front of her. 

For the next couple of hours, Jinah continued to dump unsuccessful drinks down the drain. Everyone kept encouraging her; they learned throughout the weeks of knowing her that she was a girl who needed encouragement to press on. 

On the other hand, Sehun continued to make little remarks directed at his mate that made her glare and want to neck slice him, but knew inside that he was just teasing her. 

And finally, at approximately 4 in the evening (almost a whole day had gone by), Jinah successfully made a drink.

“Success!”

And who did she make taste try it?

Oh Sehun, of course.