What Is Luck

When You Love Someone
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was a peaceful afternoon in the Marketing Department as Byulyi strolled in. Everyone seemed to have had food coma and was attempting to stay awake after possibly binge-eating their stress away at lunch. It was understandable, since the department was almost busy all year round with campaigns after campaigns for new developments.

Byulyi was headed right towards one of the desks lined near the window, where a ginger-haired girl sat with her head down and focused on the rhythmic typing on her laptop. As she got closer to the desk, the girl who was known as Jung Wheein glanced casually at her without much thought, then snapped her neck back again with a wide smile pleasant to see her visitor.

“Unnie! You’re back!” Wheein burst out of her seat to give Byulyi a quick hug in excitement.

“Looks like someone’s glad to see me!” Byulyi laughed at the younger girl’s actions which she thought resembled an eager Shiba Inu puppy. The cuteness meter was definitely off the charts but Byulyi would rarely openly admit to Wheein’s ego.

“Unnie, you have no idea… I’ve been stuck here for the longest time! I want to go on a holiday somewhere but Hyejin is too busy!” Wheein frowned with all her face.

“Well, it’s conference season, I can’t do anything about it either, you’re looking at a RBW slave in the flesh.” Byulyi pointed to her own face. It was pretty common for both girls to self-diss between themselves even though Byulyi was poised as the potential candidate to succeed RBW.

RBW, a company once helmed by Kims, now by a Yoon and in the future a person with the last name Moon was certainly not a commonplace situation in chaebol conglomerates in South Korea. But that was how it was for Byulyi. She did not grow up as an heir, but yet she was now in top of the list of successors.

The thing with Byulyi’s back story was that it was far from common. Her father, Moon Bin, was a young man who was filled with ideals and dreams into make it into the big city. He met Byulyi’s mother as he ran errands as a restaurant delivery man. Byulyi’s mother was an educated lady who was attending her last year of university when she fell in love with Moon Bin. In those times, her mother’s father objected to their relationship so her mother eloped and got married, dreaming to build a good life together.

Shortly after the hasty wedding, Byulyi’s mother was pregnant with her but her father was having a hard time making enough money. The couple eventually relocated back to Moon Bin’s hometown, Bucheon and moved in with his mother. Finances were hard in the subsequent years and it was a struggle for Moon Bin to provide for his family even with 2 jobs.

Gone were the ideals and dreams the young couple shared. Byulyi’s mother decided to walk out, leaving Byulyi with her grandmother. Moon Bin drowned his self-esteem ever further with alcohol to numb himself that his wife has left him. For the next 15 years, Byulyi’s grandmother ran a small corner snack shop to provide for the her grand daughter and her son, who was almost always drinking. Moon Bin’s drank and drank, then he ended up losing his life in a bar fight that got violent.

At that point, Byulyi was 17 and helpless as she saw through the funeral procession. Even though her father was drunk most of the time, he helped out in the shop, walked her to main road every morning and remembered her birthday. Byulyi was sad to lose her only parent, then she met her mother who showed up at the funeral.

When Byulyi first greeted her mother as a guest, it was hard to believe when this well-dressed woman introduced herself as her mother. Byulyi knew she had a mother who left them when she was younger but she was not expecting someone like this, someone who looked well off. It was abrupt but after the funeral, this stranger Byulyi now knew as her mother offered her to move to Seoul to attend university a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter