33 장

Now and for the Last Time

"Do you want a tissue?" Wooyoung asked Eomma, in an attempt at humor. He nodded at Mrs. Jeon's purse, where a tissue was indeed poking out, at the ready. "Because I know where to find one."

In response, Eomma just blinked, trying to hold back the tears of frustration that were b in her eyes. Just moments earlier, she'd found out via text that the next week's wedding, for which we'd done tons of legwork and put down a lot of deposits, had been called off. Then, as she was absorbing that news, Mrs. Jeon came and unloaded a loud scream about her sudden, strong dislike of  the tulle bows tied on the backs of the chairs, which had been her idea in the first place. It was the latest in the long day of similar takedowns over small details; anyone else would've cracked hours earlier. It took Eomma until now, almost 8 p.m. and three hours past the ceremony, but finally, she'd gotten there.

As Wooyoung patted her shoulder, moving his hand in that soothing circle, I forced myself to take a deep breath. I hated to see Eomma upset. Mostly because it never happened, so it was of scary, like the world - or my world - was breaking apart.

"Suzy, I'm fine," she said to me now, clearly aware of this. "I'm pissed, not sad. And it's mostly about the Anh Solbin cancellation. At least now we know why she bailed on the photoshoot."

"Being yelled at about the chair bows did not help matters, though," Wooyoung said, moving his hand in the other direction. "Considering we were clear we were against it from the start. Who wants their chairs wrapped? And then she takes her bad decision out on you? Unacceptable."

"I hate this wedding," Eomma grumbled, wiping her eyes with the tissue not taken from someone's purse.

"And I hate that woman," Wooyoung told her. "But let's look at the brighter side, shall we? There's no Anh wedding next weekend means we can actually go on that free trip to check out Kyushu for the Bae Wedding."

"Omo," Eomma groaned. "Are you still even thinking about that? We don't do out of town weddings. And now you want to try one on an island?"

"Correction. I want to take a free trip to an island under the consideration of an wedding being there," he told her. "Just think about it. Beach, clear blue water, cocktails with tiny umbrellas, all expenses paid. If you didn't already deserve it, you definitely do after tonight."

As if to worsen this, Mrs. Jeon began at that moment to lay into a member of the staff. The woman, startled, moved back, a tray of empty glasses falling above her. I looked over to the head table, where Jeon Somin was huddle close with her new husband, their heads together, both of them smiling. While part of me wished she'd take responsibility for the tornado that was her mother, I had to admit she looked awfully happy. And who knew she probably deserved it. We'd only dealt with Mrs. Jeon for a few weeks. I couldn't imagine an entire life.

As I thought this, Sehun walked up to our little group. "All clear on the fainting junior bridesmaid," he reported. "I just checked on her again and she's fine."

Hearing this, I looked over at the head table, where the teen who'd passed out during the vows earlier was now with one of the flower girls. We were used to people getting dizzy, if not blacking out altogether. It was why Eomma always gave her "don't lock your knees and standing will be a breeze" speech at the rehearsals, especially when it's hot outside. On the other note, we had a few people go down, and this girl had done it in spectacular fashion, falling into a flower arrangement and taking it with her. When she came to and realized what happened, she was so embarrassed she burst into tears.

I'd led her into a sideroom, water in hand, prepared to stay with her there until the ceremony ended. But it was Sehun who proved to be crucial in the moment.

"You think that was bad?" he asked her, sliding into the chair to the right of her. "I'll tell you about embarrassing. This one time? I was trying to walk backward while talking to a girl and didn't see the curb. Fell over it, landed on my , screamed like a baby. It was horrifying."

The junior bridesmaid, face red, just looked at him. "Really?"

"Oh, yeah," he said, waving his hand easily. "And that was nothing. Another time at school, I was giving this presentation on pollution and my pants fell down. I was into baggy clothes then, but man, not that baggy."

At this, I laughed: I couldn't help myself. He smiled at me, then at the girl, who now had the barest smile. "And another time," he continued, lowering his voice slightly, "I was messing with this tape dispenser and it exploded in front of my boss and this seriously pretty girl who worked with me. There was smoke, and I had to get down on the floor and clean it all up, in front of everyone."

I blinked, remembering. He sure hadn't seemed embarrassed. And I was pretty now, in this retelling? Just as I thought this, he looked up at me, the teen now chatting beside him, and I felt myself smile. I'd realized a lot of things about Sehun that day and since, but this one always surprised me. He was kind. So kind. Who knew?

Now I watched as he adjusted his tie, then said to us, "DJ says they'll do the bouquet and garter toss in fifteen. Next, another half hour of dancing, followed by the grand exit. Then we can start kicking people out."

"Starting with Mrs. Jeon," I said, as Eomma gave me a smile.

"Good luck with that," he replied. "She just read me the riot act about the dessert forks. I don't even know what those are."

Eomma, hearing this, turned to look at the nearest table, taking in the place settings there. Even when she thought someone was crazy, she still wanted things to be just right. It was either a professional strength or weakness. I hadn't figure it out which.

"Oh, and Suzy," Sehun added, as she picked up a fork, talking with Wooyoung, "that guy at table ten asked if I knew where you were. Just a hunch, but I'm betting he doesn't know about your strict policy about dancing."

"I don't have a policy about dancing," I said. "Just dancing at weddings at which I am working."

"Well, you better tell him. Because here he comes."

Sure enough, when I turned, Mark Tuan was approaching from behind, that same familiar easygoing smile on his face. Eomma and Wooyoung moved aside, giving me space, and I expected Sehun to follow suit. But of course, he stayed right where he was.

"Hey," Mark said. "You disappeared."

"This is the kind of wedding that keeps you running," I explained. "Having a good time?"

"Yeah." He looked at Sehun. "Um, actually, I wanted to ask you something."

Now, surely, Sehun would leave us alone. he didn't. I turned my body, to at least block him out. "Sure."

Mark glanced across the lawn, where the dance floor, set up under a white tent, was packed with people. "I wondered if you might want to d-"

Just then, there was a burst of laughter behind us, followed by the clinking of glasses. But I'd gotten the idea.

"I can't," I said. "I'm not allowed to when I'm working."

Mark looked confused. "Like, at all?"

"Well, no." I looked at Eomma and Wooyoung, now discussing the forks. "Because we're part of the staff, it's frown upon."

"So you can't got out, even after it's over?"

Now I was confused. Sehun, however, hadn't missed anything. "He asked you if you wanted to do something," he said, leaning into my ear. "I think you misheard?"

I felt my face flushed, along with a hint of fury that he was even part of this exchange. "I'm so sorry," I said to Mark, shaking my head. "I thought . . . I thought you asked me to dance."

"Oh," he said. For some reason he looked at Sehun. Maybe he thought he might've have to interpret this, as well? "No. But i can. I mean, I will. I just thought because you were working -"

"That's what I meant," I said, stepping over his words. "I mean, when I said that. Clients can't forbid me to be social. Yet, anyway."

At this he smiled, and it occurred to me, distantly, that this would be the kind of meet-cute story someone in another situation might tell, years later, a part of a beginning. "Good. because I was beginning to wonder if this was a slave labor sort of situation."

"It can be. but not like that."

We both stood there a second, thinking. Then I felt Sehun lean into my ear again. "You still haven't answered his actual question."

"Will you out?" I said to him through clenched teeth, adding a slap for good measure. This time, he backed away. A bit. With Mark still watching, like we're both crazy. I took a breath, composing myself. "I'd love to do something once this is all over. If, you know, you're still asking."

He smiled. "I am. how about this week? A movie, dinner . . ."

"Great," I said. "Just text me. Let me give you my number."

As he pulled out his phone, opening up the contacts and handing it to me, I wondered why Sehun was so interested in this, especially since he had his own perfect, awesome girl and, in his mind, our bet pretty much sealed up. I was going to ask him after I typed in my number and Mark walked away. By then, though, he was gone.