Last Night - The Equinox Part 2

Affinity - Ephemeral Feelings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

       “May!” His enthusiastic voice called boomingly, trying to be louder than the blaring party music.
      “Good evening, you look stunning.” Her stare broke into a glad grin because of his nice compliment while he was hugging her to greet her. They hadn’t seen each other for a few days and May was content that tonight she meets all of her friends.

She and Bobby had successfully and without any serious encounters arrived at the bar where they were supposed to meet their remaining friends. It was Kim Donghyuk who she had greeted just now; he was the first one to see them and the first one to throw his arms around May to greet her with his love.
        “Thank you, Donghyuk, no need to lie though. We all look casual, save the compliments for the prom evening.” She teased back as he broke the hug, elbowing her side to get a giggle out of her. He lamely just shrugged at her, trying to take her out of Bobby’s sight so that he can get a little bit closer to May.
           “It’s not a lie though. We may all look good tonight, especially me, but still, a gentleman has to complement pretty ladies. Right?” He countered, to which Bobby playfully pushed him a bit as he had hit Donghyuk’s arm. Donghyuk is usually not really full of himself, but he is a funny guy, always trying to make his friends smile. Not as hyper as Bobby or Hoseok, but he has his own way of spreading happiness and infecting others with that.

The next one who greeted May was his date, a nice girl, not to mention a beautiful one. She attended another class so May greeted her with a casual
          “Hey!”. Donghyuk grinned as he stepped to the side pulling his date with him by grabbing onto her waist; practically moving out of the way so another boy could greet May. Bobby was still talking to the girl and Donghyuk, he seemed to not mind that May already moved to the next pair of friends. Usually Bobby would stick to her side like glue. It felt good, but different that he left her side right now. It’s time to get some fresh air.
          “May, you look beautiful.” He didn’t have to say more as he enveloped her into a tight hug, making May smile even more, if that was even possible.  He usually had this impact on May, not that she was proud that a boy had that kind of influence on her. Though there some kind of tension in the way they looked at each other. It was just a little awkward and both of them tried to stop the awkwardness from rising any more.
         “You look handsome as always, but really stop complimenting me so much, it’s not like I am wearing anything extraordinary.” It was true; everyone was wearing casual clothes which suited the normal party theme. He chuckled for a second as he handed May a coke which he had saved for her, he always looked out for her if her other guardians weren’t around. Always, if he had the chance to.
            “Your clothes are just fine, but I meant your smile is beautiful. You look happier than the other days this week. A lot brighter too, I guess you’re excited for the holiday?” He wondered, trying to get her attention, successfully by the way. May nodded, taking a sip of her coke as she couldn’t help but heat up because of his compliment, he always seemed to make her feel more flustered than other boys who tell her any compliments, maybe because he is the most handsome guy  in their grade. And the situation she found herself in a few weeks ago with Jaebum didn’t make her feel any less flustered at the moment.

The loud laughs and the music were covering up their conversation which stood in the room now. May had forgotten to thank him. He chuckled as she seemed to realize that she was the one who hadn’t answered him. A light giggle escaped out of embarrassment.
              “Yes, I am happy because of tomorrow, I bet you are glad to be leaving as well, right? Thanks for the coke, Jaebum.” She answered quickly, trying to cover up the big tension in the air.
They were previously close friends which just changed a while ago. Im Jaebum or JB, he isn’t the type of person to be awkward with anyone. He is the president of his class and the student speaker of their grade. A caring, really mature and protective male and he is handsome, most girls fancy him because of several reasons. That was why he had so many friends because he is just the perfect friend. Yes, even May saw him as a friend. Kim Jiwoon, please come to my rescue, now. I would need your protectiveness and loud mouth.

May gazed away from Jaebum and to the side only to see someone coming up next to her. Her dazed, awkward expression turned into the happiest grin anyone could see on her face and only her best friends were able to get that out of her. He is coming to my rescue. That’s fine for me too. Oh how I missed him today, so, so much. Jaebum turned to look into the direction where she was looking at, following her gaze, easily realizing why she was smiling so happily. At first he had thought her smile was caused by him but seeing who was coming made him realize the truth. I’m not the reason for her extended smile and I will never be. He quickly averted his eyes cowardly taking a sip of his drink.

              “May Green, where have you been?!” He teased only to get May’s arms thrown around his neck, making him stumble back right at the time he arrived by Jaebum’s side.
             “I could ask you the same, you idiot.” She teased back, but he was way rather enjoying her really tight hug than she would have thought since he didn’t let go as she wanted to break away. He chuckled next to her right ear where his head rested while they hugged each other. The hug seemed longing after all. She playfully pushed him a bit further away, only to give him the best opportunity. The best opportunity to show his affection. Without hesitation, a kiss was left on her cheek, a quick one before May could pull away. She didn’t look surprised, it was casual for her. It just made her feel giddy and happy; she hadn’t seen him since yesterday, due to his project that he worked on the whole day out

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter