Raise and Shine!

City Boy, Country Love

“You have to be kidding me?” He blurted out to the judge. “The country. You want me to leave the only city I have ever known and go to the country?”

“Kyungsoo, you’ve skipped school, ran away from home, beat a kid so bad you broke his nose, and the list is so long I don’t think this court has time to read it all. You aren’t giving me many options with your behavior. Your foster parents want to move you. Do you not see an issue in this?” Kyungsoo sighed and crossed his arms over his chest. The judge shook his head. “It is only for 6 months. Until your birthday. Then you will be 18 and the state will no longer have custody of you and you can do as you want okay? In the mean time you move to the country. It might do you some good. You’ll be staying with the Byun family. They’ve had kids like you in their home before. That’s all.” The judge slammed his hammer down and all Kyungsoo could think was that his life was over.

His parents died when he was 10, from that moment on Kyungsoo were bounced from foster home to foster home. Some foster parents where nicer than others, yet none of them kept him for more than 2 years. None of them put a lot of time or energy to help him through his grief and angry behavior. The first home kicked him out for running away at night and staying out late, something dumb in Kyungsoo’s mind. The second for skipping school, third and fourth for much the same reason. No one seems to care for him as his parents did.

His foster parents were staring at him when he turned around to leave the court room. He scowled at them. They ,unlike any of his others, had promised not to move him telling him they’ve never moved any of the kids they’ve fostered before. It gave Kyungsoo a little bit of hope that maybe, just maybe, they wouldn’t. When he first moved in it was only a year until his birthday and then he would get all the money in the trust fund his parents had he would buy his own home and never leave it. now only 6 months later they were kicking him out.

Kyungsoo marched right pasted them out of the room ignoring his so called foster mothers calls for him to wait shoving the door open and slamming it closed as he exited. He could see the black car of his case worker outside through the big glass door, the worker himself standing next to it, waiting for him. He knew what was coming when his pushed those glass doors open.

“Really Kyungsoo?” the man said to him. “You broke him nose!”

“ Yeah well he deserved it.” he muttered in reply. “ he kept saying my parents didn’t want me. I tried Suho.”

His case worker sighed. Suho was the only person who knew what happened back when he was only 10. He could never get Kyungsoo to talk to anyone else about it. The boy always froze up and stayed silent. It would normally be weeks before he would speak again.

“Just get in the car. I already have all your stuff in the trunk.”

Kyungsoo listened and got into the black car. The ride to his temporary home was long and boring. Suho wasn’t much of a talker in which Kyungsoo was happy about but about half way through the trip his hand phone has lost reception so no more YouTube to distract his mind. He huffed and tossed it to the side deeming it useless for the time being. Instead he opted to look out the window and before he knew it his eyes closed and small breathes were escaping his slightly opened mouth.

 

“Kyungsoo.” Suho gave his shoulder a shake. “Kyungsoo we’re here.” Groggily Kyungsoo opened his eyes and met a pair of dark brown eyes hes never seen before and jumped back.

“Hi! Im Baekhyun! “ he introduced himself cheerfully with a smile. He was all to cheer to Kyungsoo so he just gave him a lazy wave.

“He isn’t very friendly. Don’t bother.” Suho said from the trunk of the car. Kyungsoo cursed him in his head and Baekhyun gave him a sad look.

“Oh sorry then Kyungsoo. You can come with me and I will show you to your room, we eat dinner at 7pm every night so you have about 30 minutes to clean up.” Baekhyun gave him a small smile before tuning on his heels to lead him to the front door.

“Go.” Suho mouthed to him. “I got your stuff so in.” Kyunsoo did slowly creeping out of the car and looking around. Horses were out in the carrels grazing on grass. From what he could see there was two, one black in color another brown. To the left he saw fields upon fields of crops , to the right a huge fenced area with a large open field and tree in the back. It was pretty like in pictures he would see on the internet or billboards he just never thought he would see it in person himself. Not that he ever wanted to. There were also nicely trimmed trees and bushes lining the dirt walkway to the front door. Baekhyun was already standing there staring back at him.

Baekhyun had simple back hair, worn out jeans, and a plain t-shirt. Kyungsoo didn’t have much himself but it looked a lot better than that he thought to himself as he walked up the dirt pathway. Baekhyun didn’t say anything else to him as he showed him into the big two story house. He took him up the wooden staircase and to the second room on the right before opening the door and waving him in. He informed him that the bathroom was the third door on the right and left him alone in his new room.

The room itself wasn’t huge but bigger than his rooms back at the city. Normally there he had to shore with either another foster child or a kids his foster parents already had but judging from the single bed he concluded that wasn’t going to be the case here. For that much he was grateful. His room also had a window with a seat right under it big enough to lay on if he wished to. It looked out onto the rolling hills and trees. He had to admit it was a beautiful sight. Kyungsoo was so caught up in it he didn’t hear Suho come in with his things.

“Hey.” He said starting Kyungsoo he whipped around quickly. “ Ill just leave this here for you.” Kyungsoo nodded. “Try to make this work. They really are nice people. Baekhyun started as a foster for them before they decided to adopt him so if you need someone to talk to he may understand.” Kyungsoo tsked him and turned back around.

“I doubt it. It doesn’t matter anyway. Im here for 6 months and then I get the trust money and leaving. I don’t plan on making friends.” Suho frowned at him. He really wished he would try harder to be better and do good. He had been his case worker from day one. He knew how he hurt and has done everything he possibly could to put him in good homes with people who care but nothing has worked thus far. When he made the choice to ask the judge to move him out of the city he knew he was going to have a hard time but he also hoped it would be the change he needed to either finally break and talk to someone or snap him out of his bad behavior. Here in the country he wouldn’t be around all those people he hung out with before influencing him to be wrong or provoking him when he blew up in anger. Here was quiet unlike the city. Suho knows it’ll be hard on him at first but he really hoped that in the end he would learn to open up to someone and make a good life for himself.

“Ill be back in a month to check in on you. Try Kyungsoo, really try. This place could be good for you.” With that Suho left. Kyungsoo scoffed and looked back out the window. He wanted to go back. He didn’t know where but the only thing going on in his heart at that moment was a wanting of home. Kyungsoo didn’t know why but it was there, and he couldn’t do anything about it because he had no true home to go back to.

 

The first night was uneventful for Kyungsoo. Baekhyun had made him dinner and they ate in silence. Baekhyun wasn’t a bad cook, and it had been awhile since he had actually had a home cooked meal and not fast food or take out, so he enjoyed in secretly. After he ate he went back to his room and changed into sleeping clothes. He didn’t bother unpacking. After his third home he never did, always figured he would be moving again soon and why waist the time. It wasn’t much longer before he was passed out on the bed asleep.

The next more however, was very eventful.

“Kyungsoo! Raise and shine!” Baekhyun yelled from beside the bed. “Come on its already 7am!”

“Go away.” Kyungsoo groaned.

“But its so late and we have chores to do before my parents get home. So lets go!” Baekhyun ranked the covers off.

“You just said it was 7! No one in their right minds gets up at 7!”

“Welcome to farm life.” Baekhyun deadpanned to him and flipped him off the be. Kyungsoo hit the ground with a thud and scowled at the boy. “Get dressed. Our farm hand is already here and it’s not fair to make him do all the work alone so let’s go!” Baekhyun said as he marched out of the room. Kyungsoo was dumb founded. Not just at the fact he had to do farm work himself as well but that the cheery boy he met last night was now a serious and annoying pest. He rubbed the sleep from his eyes and stood up. His gaze turned to the window again and he could see cows out in the fields and the horses from yesterday were now in a different area too. The sun was still behind the trees giving the area a peaceful glow. Groaning he got himself dressed and marched down the stairs.

“You have to change.” Baekhyun said laughing.

“Why?” Kyungsoo crossed his arms. What was wrong with shorts and a tank top? It’s hot outside. Plus his outfit is way nicer than Baekhyuns he thought, who wears such old and dirty skinny jean with a plaid shirt. Very interesting style choice.

“Baecause if you wear that I promise you that by the end of the day your shirt will be ripped and your legs will have cuts all over them. This is city work. This is hard labor and you will have to get dirty.” Baekyuns expression was one of pure amusement. He couldn’t believe that Kyungsoo thought this was a good option.

“Im not changing into jeans and a long sleeved shirt. It’s hot as hell out there!”

“Whatever you say. Lets go.” Yeah, Baekhyun thought, this is going to be a fun day.

 

 

 

 

 

 

first couple chapters may be boring sorry! still let me know what you think.  ill have the next one up soon, untill then happy reading!