Chapter 1

Careful
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wonwoo sighs in resignation as he’s shaking the wetness from his hair, trying hard to stay the least bit warm even though he was completely soaked from head to foot. He drags his cameraman, Seungkwan, with him, as they both try to stay under shielded under a small waiting shed, albeit quite useless, since the rain was pouring so hard, it was splashing them anyway.

“ this.” He mutters under his breath, and Seungkwan looks over, curious.

“Are you okay? It’s just rain, it’ll stop soon.” He smiles, making sure the slightly waterproof camera wasn’t completely soaked.

“You know why I’m pissed.” He looks over to other, and he smiles. Seungkwan was a cameraman, so he didn’t have Wonwoo’s ambition. If he was assigned on a celebrity gathering, a police station interview, or weather, it was a damn good day. But that wasn’t the case for Wonwoo; those menial stories meant that sooner or later, he’s going to be forgotten. He’s going to be one of those faces you saw when learning about Song Hyekyo and Song Joongki’s wedding, and not exactly a name you remembered because of something important and challenging.

He didn’t want to be like every journalist, safe behind their wide edged tables and ergonomic chairs, reading news from a teleprompter. He wanted to be the kind who does documentaries on sea gypsies, the kind who went to warn torn areas, the kind who covered murders, and every story that matters. Not celebrity scandals and weather—well, weather did matter but… well, you get what he means.

Seungkwan suddenly freezes while staring at a message in his phone. “Well, this might be your lucky day.” He extends his arm and offers him the phone. “Well, it certainly isn’t the lucky day for the people in the border but this is your lucky day.”

Wonwoo stared in amazement at the email sent to Seungkwan with a screenshot of a breaking news about war breaking out in the North and South Korean border, the taunting finally at its’ last straw, as fires were exchanged just barely an hour ago—and Wonwoo and Seungkwan will be sent near the camping grounds along with other news teams, to cover it. Wonwoo’s big break.

 

Wonwoo can’t stay still; he’s been giddy this entire time. It might be pretty suicidal of him, but he’s been hoping for a break like this in a really long time. “You’ll be sent in with proper protocol. The team of soldiers will be with you the entire time, they will train you for the basic protocols, you will follow what they say if you want to come out alive. If they’d allow us to, we’ve requested for a battleground report, so if you’ll be sent within the battle grounds so if you want to back out, you better tell me now.” Wonwoo was no way in hell backing out. He knows Seungkwan is hesitating, though.

“It’s fine, man.” he assures him, but Seungkwan shakes his head anyway.

“No, I’m coming with you. I’m not dying a weather cameraman.” He faces the station manager and accepts the offer to cover the story.

When the station manager dismisses them, Wonwoo drags Seungkwan to the side. “Hey, are you sure about this?”

“Yeah.” The other nods fervently. “I’m just as tired of the same bull again and again just like you are.” He sighs, and then smiles at him reassuringly. “I may not have the same ambitions as you do, but I’m still not filming another damn weather report, I’d rather shoot myself in the mouth.”

“That’s graphic.” Wonwoo scrunches his nose and pats the younger. “Well, thanks, anyway.”

“Sure, man.”

 

The hesitation apparently, immediately dissipated as soon as they were assisted to the army truck by a Lt. Choi, an extremely good-looking soldier, whom Seungkwan can’t tear his eyes from as soon as the station van dropped them off one town away from the center of the fighting, gunshots and bombs faintly heard, making them both nervous. Well, apart from being distracted, on Seungkwans’ part.

“My name is Choi Hansol, I am a 2nd Lieutenant, you can call me Lt. Choi, me and 6 other soldiers will be on rotation guarding the two of you, some of us will be called to assist in battle, some of us will assist the medics, some of us will be border patrol, so if you are left with none of us, the first thing I’ll suggest is you call your company car and have you fetched right away. We can’t leave you unattended, okay? You’re both unarmed.”

They both nodded, getting more and more uneasy as the firing gets clearer and clearer. The truck stops, and the soldier studies them both. “We’re on a safe area, we’re around 9-10 kilometers away from the actual fighting, but we will not advance nor pull back unless we receive any news or instruction, is that understood?”

“Yes.” Wonwoo mutters as Seungkwan nods. 

 

Seungkwan is quietly setting up his camera, checking and double checking his batteries, as Wonwoo watches Lt. Choi sets up folding beds for them. “For the duration of your coverage, you will be staying within the medic quarters, we need to make sure you’re within neutral ground.” He explains.

Wonwoo jumps in his seat as a figure materializes beside him, clad in military uniform, sweating and bruised. “Man, it was a riot out there.” He addresses Lt. Choi and drops his combat helmet and gulps a load of water. “You geddit?” he smiles, brandishing sharp canines that resembled a vampires, but when coupled with  kind eyes and innocent smile, he just looks like an extremely good-looking golden retriever; and for a moment, Wonwoo forgot to breathe.

He hides it, though, as he checks his expression and makes sure it’s totally stoic and non-reactive. Lt. Choi seemed to notice his presence, though, as he jumps in his place and introduces him. “This is Jeon Wonwoo, a reporter from Channel 5, and this is his cameraman, Boo Seungkwan.” Seungkwan flushes, mainly because he remembered his full name. “This is 2nd Lt. Kim, Kim Mingyu, he’s going to be on the rotation with me from 12 am to 12 pm.”

“Hi.” Offers his hand straight to Wonwoo, smiling faintly. “You can call me Mingyu.”

“Uhh, hi. Wonwoo.” He smiles politely as Seungkwan offers his hand in greeting.

“So,” he sits right across him, ridding himself of the obviously heavy belts of bullets he had around his t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter