Prologue

Switched

My mom used to talk about my father all the time when I was a kid. About how my father was very famous, how many fans he had and how his dazzling smile captured her heart. With her hand gently brushing my hair, she would lovingly talk about him with her soft voice.

 

Growing up, I never even once met my father. I don’t know who he is or if he’s still alive and I don’t really care about any of that. Maybe it’s because I already got used to it. Mom was all I need and I thought it was the same for her too.

 

Mom had been sick for years now and it’s gotten worse each day. The doctor even said that she doesn’t have that much time left and that I should prepare for the worst. Prepare for what actually? Mom is all I had and if she’s not here, where should I even go?

 

One day, Mom got in a critical condition and she was brought to the ICU. I stayed by her side day and night, hoping that she would get better. I couldn’t even sleep, afraid of what would happen if I wasn’t by her side.

 

Around midnight of the same day, Mom slowly opened her eyes.

 

Mom : You’re here….you must be tired…

Me : I’m okay, Mom…you don’t have to worry about me.

 

I said, swallowing my tears. Mom looked so weak, as if she barely had any strength left in her. She smiled at me and softly took my hands.

 

Mom : My beautiful daughter…I’m so proud of you…you’re the best present I ever got from your father…

Me : Mom…

Mom : I wished I could see him again…there’s so many things to tell him…about our daughter, how she’s been a great daughter…

 

I could only look at her, my tears clouding my sight. Why is she talking about this? As if she’s saying her goodbye already…but that’s not it, right? That can’t be right.

 

Mom : You have the same eyes as your father. Clear bright eyes filled with kindness...

 

Mom wiped away my tears gently. She then pulled me into a hug. She stayed silent for a while. Then, suddenly I felt something wet on my shoulders.

 

Mom : Haa…I shouldn’t be crying in front of you…it’s not something that a mother should do…

Me : It’s okay, Mom…

Mom : I wish that I could be with you forever…and also with your father…the three of us, living in a small house…that would be fun..

Me : Yeah, that sounds nice…

 

I replied with a smile. She returned my smile, ruffling my hair.

 

Mom : Ahh, I’m getting sleepy now…you should get some sleep too.

 

I nodded and kissed her cheek. She slept as soon as she shut her eyes. I sat beside her, and took her hands.

 

Me : Dear God, I’ve never asked you for anything. Please don’t take my Mom away…and please let me find my father so that I can see her smile again. I’d do anything in the world for her.

 

I prayed. And without realizing it, I had fallen asleep. It felt like a very long sleep.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

????? : Jihoon-ah.

 

Somewhere from my deep sleep, I heard people talking. It was a guy. He’s not calling my name, so I guess I could still sleep some more.

 

????? : Jihoon-ah~

 

Aish, this guy is very noisy, interrupting my sleep. You shouldn’t make that much noise in a hospital. Again, I chose to ignore him.

 

????? : YAH, PARK JIHOON!!! Time to wake up already!!

 

He literally yelled in my ear. Even worse, he snatched my blanket away. What the hell?? What’s wrong with this dude? Reluctantly, I opened my eyes and found I was staring straight at a guy who’s looking a bit annoyed. Shocked, I quickly sat up and accidentally hit his forehead with my head.

 

????? : Ouch…yahhh~~what’s wrong with you?

 

That’s what I wanted to say. What’s the matter with you?! I looked at my body and realized that I was wearing something that’s not familiar to me. Puzzled, I looked around and noticed that I’m not at the hospital at all.

 

Me : Er….wher- AH!

 

I was shocked at how manly my voice was when I spoke. I just stared at the guy in front of me. I touched my face and everything felt different. My heart was beating fast amidst all the confusion that I was having at the moment. I pushed the guy aside and quickly searched for a toilet. I locked the door and went in front of the mirror. The person who was panicking in front of the mirror was not me. It was not me. I tried to calm myself and closed my eyes.

 

Me : It’s oka-

 

Yaishhhh, I still have that manly voice. I took a deep breath and opened my eyes again.

Still, it was still a guy shown in the mirror.

 

Me : The f**k??!!!!

????? : YAH, PARK JI HOON!!! Don’t curse so early in the morning!!!