3.

Connected

Seongwoo and Daniel finished grabbing their breakfast and found the last empty table in the room. As they started to talk about their plans for the day a girl appeared next to their table. She started talking so quickly, they missed most of what she had already said. The mystery girl pointed at a book sitting on the table that they hadn't noticed earlier. Oh, she must've been sitting here before us, thought Daniel.

He watched her as she glanced around the room "Would would you mind if I sat with you?" she asked finally looking up at them.

Her hair had been like a curtain, so when she looked up he couldn't help but focus her face. Her features were soft, her lips ever so slightly pouty and her eyes were a deep blue, no more greenish. He couldn't quite pick the colour, but they were sparkling and framed with dark brows and lashes that matched her chocolate coloured hair. He really hadn't expected her to have eyes so striking.

"I just want to sit and eat my breakfast" he heard her say and Seongwoo quickly motioned for her to sit beside him, while Daniel just watched her move toward the chair. Pleased she didn't have to awkwardly hover any longer, Leila sat down next to him.

"Thanks" she said to them with a smile and took a sip of her coffee, instantly feeling warmer inside. She opened her book and began to read, taking a bite of her croissant.

Daniel watched her from across the table as she became engrossed in her book. He hadn't realised how long he had been staring until Seongwoo kicked his shin, under the table and raised his eyebrows at him. Daniel shook his head and laughed. At the sound of his laughter, Leila looked up. Maybe I'm being rude by reading and ignoring them she thought to herself. 

"Sorry. I'm feel like I'm being rude, but I just don't want to disrupt your breakfast and, to be completely honest, I'm not much of a morning person; I need coffee to function." she said sheepishly raising coffee cup and drawing in the liquid gold. Daniel was fixated with the way her eye lashes fluttered as she closed her eyes and pressed the cup to her lips. She sighed and placed the cup on the table and Daniel quickly averted his gaze. 

Seongwoo laughed, "Ah, so that explains the rambling earlier" he said to her.

"Hah, yeah I guess so" she said, turning the corner of the page she was reading and closing her book. "I'm Leila by the way, if you didn't catch it earlier, but my friends call me Lei and my younger brother calls me Lala, which is a little weird when I say it out loud myself, especially now that he's a teenager and what teenage boy still calls his sister such a childish nickname..." She mumbled going off on a tangent.

"Oh sorry, I'm rambling again aren't I?" she said blushing. "I'm Leila, nice to meet you" she said holding out her hand to dark haired guy beside her trying to regain her confidence.

"I'm Ong Seongwoo" he said placing his hand in hers "and this is Kang Daniel" he said motioning with a flick of his head, introducing them both to Leila. She nodded and smiled at Daniel across the table.

"You talk really fast, Lei." Seongwoo said with a laugh, releasing her hand "Where are you from?"

​​​​​Popping a piece of melon in , she coughed a bit as she swallowed it down. 

"Yeah sorry about that. I know I talk quickly, and a lot, but it's something I'm trying to work on." She said smiling. "I'm from New Zealand" She stated, answering his question.

Seongwoo was intrigued "New Zealand, that's so cool! I've always wanted to visit, it looks beautiful in the pictures and films I've seen. And everyone just does crazy things like jumping off cliffs and stuff right?"

"Uh you mean bungy jumping? Yeah we do that. Actually you can do pretty much any extreme sport back home I suppose; caving, rafting, climbing, base jumping, skydiving. If it's an extreme sport, and you can kill yourself doing it, it's something we'd be into." She said in a very straight up manner, causing Daniel to grin, his front teeth poking out slightly. She's funny.

"That's really cool. We're on holiday from Korea" Seongwoo said, trying to keep the conversation rolling, he wasn't going to pass up the opportunity to talk to a pretty girl.

"Korean huh?" She said with a thoughtful look on her face. With a slight bow she then attempted to introduce herself in Korean, which was really well pronounced to Daniel's ears.

"Aaand that's all I learnt from two years of it being my elective language at school" she laughed "well that and the song about animals, and what sounds they make... not that that would be of any help to me in any real life situation, ever" she confessed with a smile.

Leila was feeling a lot more relaxed with them both, making conversation with these two was easy. Well, mostly Seongwoo since Daniel seemed to just sit listening to the conversation and smiling. Does he just not talk much? She wondered, glancing across at the boy who still hadn't said a word since she sat down. He caught her looking at him so she flicked her eyes back to Seongwoo, as he animatedly spoke about his friend Minhyun and a travel fail he had. Seongwoo was very charming and a little goofy; if he was selling cars, she'd buy one for every day of the week. Of course, being attractive had absolutely nothing to do with it whatsoever... honestly...

They talked for a little while longer as she finished her breakfast "Need another?" asked Seongwoo, looking at Leila's empty cup.

"Ugh yes! I will love you forever if you get me more coffee!" She replied and Seongwoo leapt to his feet. 

"Only because you said you would love me forever!" He teased and headed off to get another cup for her while Leila smiled and rolled her eyes.

"So what are you doing in Kenya, Leila? I take it you're here alone" Daniel said, finally contributing to the conversation now that Seongwoo had left. Leila was surprised by how deep his voice was, and the way he said her name resonated in her head.

"Uh yeah, I'm travelling by myself because want to see everything the world has to offer. Being by myself means I can just go where I want, when I want, without having to care about anyone else but me. Pretty selfish right?" she replied with a somewhat self deprecating smirk.

Daniel shook his head and replied, "No. That sounds like an amazing kind of freedom to me." Now this boy had piqued her curiosity. He seemed to smile easily, but clearly there was something going on behind that.

"Well, what brings you to the other side of the world?" she asked him in return, wanting to hear more of his smooth deep voice.

"Needed to get away from reality for a bit. With 2 weeks leave from, uh, work I thought, why not? So I asked Seongwoo to come with me, we booked our tickets a couple days ago and here we are." he responded with a shrug of his shoulders.

"Wow, that's pretty spontaneous. Do you do this often?" She asked. From the way he spoke, Leila felt there was more to it than that but they had just met, and probably wont see each other much after this, so she didn't really want to pry too much. 

"Actually more of a stay at home, kind of guy. This is the first time I've ever done something like this."

"Really? No way!" She could tell by looking that he was no stay at home couch potato, he was built far to well for that, and the confidence he excudes made his response quite suprising. 

Seongwoo had been watching the two from the drinks bar and he was curious as to what they we're talking about without him around. Daniel hadn't said a word to her while he was there and normally you can't shut the guy up. Then it clicked, well, well, this is very interesting. I think I can have a bit of fun with this Seongwoo thought to himself. Once it was ready, he picked up their drink order, plastered a big smile across his face and returned to the table with a coffee for Leila and an orange juice each for Daniel and himself.

The three made more small talk for a bit, until Leila looked at her watch; it was a lot later than she anticipated. "Oh wow, I think I've kept you both longer than I should have and now I'm taking up half your day. I should get going" She said to the boys. "Also, I need to head off if I want to make it to the elephant sanctuary today."

"Are you going by yourself?" Daniel asked her abruptly.

"No, I'm going with all my friends" she said sarcastically smirking at him, waving her arms around in the blank space next to her.

"What the doofus means to say is, do you want some company?" Seongwoo asked as Daniel rubbed the back of his neck.

Leila didn't need to think twice. "Sure, that sounds great and we can split the taxi fare 3 ways, added bonus!" she said to them standing up. "Give me 10 minutes and I will meet you out the front" she said with a wave as she dashed off to her room to grab a sweater.

The boys watched her leave and when Leila disappeared around the corner, Daniel turned back to see Seongwoo leaning forward, hands placed under his chin, batting his eyelashes at Daniel. 

"What?" Daniel questioned him, face heating up ever so slightly.

"Oh, nothing..." Sighed Seongwoo making a dreamy face, teasing Daniel futher. 

Rolling his eyes and reaching across the table, Daniel hit Seongwoo's shoulder. "Shut it, Ong."