1.

Connected

"Rest and enjoy your break, you're going to need the energy when you're back." Wanna One's manager said, dismissing the boys from training. They were being given a 2 week break from practice and training before promotions start.

The room was buzzing as the boys chattered about what their plans were for their break. Kang Daniel sat, back against the wall, scrolling through his phone.

"What are you looking at, Hyung?" asked Park Jihoon, peering over around to catch a glimpse of what was holding Daniel's attention and causing the frown on his face.

"Ah, nothing much" Daniel said dismissively, flicking the screen off as he popped it back in his pocket. "Are you going home to see your family?" he asked Jihoon, fixing his face to an easy smile as to not worry the younger boy.

"Yeah, I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone and eating a home cooked meal." he replied excitedly, scrunching his face, which made Daniel laugh out loud. "Well, I guess I will see you in two weeks!" Jihoon grinned back as he headed out to the dorms to pack.

Daniel sighed as the rest of the boys started filing out of the room. What was he going to do? Sure, he loves going home; it's been a while since has been back and he did miss his cats. But he wasn't sure he could handle his mother being so supportive, eyes glistening with pride, and seeing his friends back home with such high expectations of him. How did things turn out like this, surely he would wake up from this dream sooner or later.

After years of being a trainee, it was his time to shine. But how is he supposed to live up to their standards, the pressure is unbelievable. Just yesterday, he and Ong Seongwoo were on the subway when he saw a massive version of his face on a billboard. It was so surreal, there were fans taking photos of them, following them along the street and to be honest, he didn't know how to react. So he ran. This was everything you ever wanted right? But what if you aren't good enough?

"What's up man?" Seongwoo asked as he plonked himself down beside Daniel as the room cleared out. "You look like something's bothering you. Need me to cheer you up?" he asked, wiggling his eyebrows suggestively inching closer to his face.

Laughing, Daniel shoved him away. "You know I love you man, just not like that! Hah" he grinned at his friend. They had become really close over the past few months and Seongwoo was always someone he could rely on to cheer him up. "Actually, do you wanna grab a beer? I have something I wanna run by you."

"Call, let's go" Seongwoo replied, dragging Daniel up to his feet.

Sitting beside the Han River, they opened their beers from the corner mart, which Daniel downed in one shot. "You gonna tell me what's up?" Seongwoo asked, handing him a second can.

Daniel took a sip from his new beer and took a deep breath. "I dunno exactly, but I need to get away from here. Even just for a little while" he said cryptically.

"And getting out of Seoul and heading home to Busan isn't far enough away?" Seong Woo asked raising his eyebrow. 

"I was thinking somewhere a little further"  

"Jeju?" Seongwoo asked "cause you know, I could definitely do with a holiday and Jeju is great this time of year" he said smiling at his friend.

"I was thinking a little more, intrepid? Off the beaten track? You know, somewhere people wont know who I am so I have some time to work it out for myself" He mumbled into his can before finishing it off. 

Staring intently at his friend, wondering what was going on in his head, Seongwoo asked "Exactly how far are you thinking? We only have 2 weeks before promotions start."

"I know." Daniel said smiling at the sky. Daniel was always smiling, but this time it was a little melancholic. He'd made his decision.

"Ong Seongwoo" He said turning to look at his friend, the one who makes him feel normal and enough. "If I asked you to do something a little spontaneous and a lot crazy... would you do it? With me?" Daniel looked at his friend with pleading eyes.

Seongwoo didn't know what he was getting himself into, but he couldn't say no. He sighed "What are we doing this time?" he responded.

Daniel's face lit up, cogs were turning in his head and he was b with excitement. "We are going to Africa!" He grinned. 

____

"Good Luck"
"Never carry your money all in one place"
"Have an amazing time"
"I wish I was young enough to be doing what you're doing"
"You know the world's a dangerous place these days, especially for a young woman travelling alone"
"Don't forget to take lots of pictures"
"Don't come home with regrets, do everything your heart desires"

Leila had been bombarded all night with people giving her advice, their opinions and well wishes, which she accepted with a smile and nod. It was Saturday night and her best friend, Nora, had organised a send-off party with her friends, workmates and family before she heads off Tuesday.

Unfortunately for Leila, she was now stuck listening to Liam, from the development team at her work, discussing how easy it was to 'pull' with their accent and that she should use the opportunitiy to 'get loose', whatever he meant by that. He had definitely had a few too many drinks and he was teetering on the edge of oversharing. Her eyes darted around the room trying to come up with a polite way to get the heck out of this conversation.

As if sensing her need for an out, Nora popped up almost out of nowhere and threw an arm over her shoulder. "Sorry love, but I need to steal my bestie here" she shouted over the music at a surprised looking Liam. Before he had time to respond, Nora was already making a beeline through the crowd, toward the bar, with her in tow. 

"You are a lifesaver" Leila smiled as she hugged her best friend. 

"Well, I try. But I think I may have jumped the gun a little, because you didn't get to hear any of his tips on how to actually seal the deal with those foreign girls!" she snorted.

"Apparently the accent is enough" Leila quipped, causing them both to start laughing out loud.

With her bright eyes, deep auburn hair and light sprinkling of freckles across her cheeks, Nora was gorgeous and you couldn't help but smile when looking at her. But her bestie is much more than just a pretty face, she's an energizer bunny and unapologetic with her laughter and stupid dancing. She was so down to earth and quirky; the kind of person everyone wants to be around.

"Drink up. Leila! I can't believe you're leaving me!" Nora pouted, as the bartender passed them their glasses.

"You could still join me you know" 

"Cheers" they clinked glasses and downed their shots.

"Bah, you know I still have another semester of university to get through before I'm free. I would if I could!" Nora said poking her tongue out at best friend and they spent the rest of the evening making the most of their last night out before she left.

Tuesday morning rolled around faster than she had realised, as Leila packed the last of her toiletries into her bag. "Done." she said, with a satisfied look on her face. She turned to look at her wall which was home to a giant map of the world, covered in pins, string, tags, quotes and pictures. A chaotic, yet beautifully displayed, portrayal of everything inside of her head. There were dozens of countries on her bucket list, but her first stop would be Kenya. 

In her last year of high school, Leila's grandmother passed away and as the last place her grandmonther visited, Leila felt like it was the first place she should. Her grandmother was a huge inspiration for Leila growing up; she was always supportive of her ideas and encouraged her to dream big. Leila felt closer to this strong and brave woman now that she was heading on her own adventure. 

She traced her fingers along her flight path. New Zealand to Dubai, a long 17 hour flight, and another 5 hours to Kenya. She grinned to herself in anticipation of her journey. Leila hadn't planned anything past Kenya as yet, but she had nothing to hold her back and would go where her heart told her.