over a beer bottle

35 ways to say I love you

A/N: Here’s some subtle Wenrene for yall Wenrenators (but it’s a little angsty I’m sorry fdjfjsjdn) Anyway enjoy!

 

Joohyun’s individual schedule had ended early. Again, she had to go back to the eerie silence of an empty dorm usually filled with the constant chatter from the two maknaes and the heartfelt exchanges between the 94-liners.

 

Sigh, the 94-liners.

 

The two who likes to lock themselves in their rooms exchanging secrets and cuddles. The two who sneaks off to the practice room in the dead silence of the night and sings the night away.

 

Joohyun decides her first destination to be the fridge. Her lifeless arm lightly tugs at the fridge door, but it wouldn’t budge. She tries again, this time with a frustrated pull that threatens to leave the fridge door scarred.

 

Her hand reaches for the bottle of beer with water droplets like of paint decorating its surface flawlessly. The cold starts to sink in and she delicately wriggles the bottle free from the clutches of nearby chocolate bars and milk cartons. She quickly scans for a second bottle, sighing at how the maknaes would always mess up the fridge. Perhaps one bottle should be enough.

 

Joohyun takes weary steps into her cold, motionless room. The still, unwelcoming atmosphere doesn’t help comfort her arm which was now numb from the freezing bottle of beer.

 

She sits on her empty bed, leaning her head against the bed frame and placing the bottle carelessly on her bedside table clad with gifts from fans. She closes her eyes and smiles meekly at the image of her members laughing heartily at the radio station.

 

Carefully reaching for her iPhone sitting precariously on the edge of her table, she opens the group’s SNS account and cluelessly navigates the different functions. She misses how Wendy would occasionally invite herself into Joohyun’s room, helping her take selcas and uploading them onto Instagram, so much that she didn’t have her own.

 

Wendy was always taking pictures of others but never of herself. And Joohyun loved that.

 

She loved the way the girl was overflowing with love and concern for everyone and anyone. How the edge of her lips would subtly curve up to form crescent moons. How her eyes always shimmered regardless of gaudy sunlight or the pitch black night sky. How her radiant, vibrant cheeks could give warmth and comfort to anyone near.

 

Joohyun tries to fiddle with the functions of her iPhone camera. She snaps a few selfies, but none of them are up to standard.

 

Without Wendy, nothing she does is up to standard.

 

Unknowingly, the flooding of her brain with thoughts of her translates into two huge mouthfuls of alcohol washing down her system. Joohyun is still able to see the alcohol level sink barely past the halfway mark.

 

Joohyun is way too tired to continue her nightly ritual of thinking about their main vocalist. But despite her heavy eyelids, sore neck and occasional muffled yawns, Joohyun just can’t stop. She can’t stop thinking about her.

 

Maybe it’s way more exhausting to attempt getting the girl out of her head than to keep her in the corner of her mind, where she’s always been.

 

Joohyun stares intently at the wall clock, struggling to keep her eyelids open. She blinks rapidly for a good ten seconds and manages to see the minute hand slowly tick past the number 12 mark.

 

The girls should be back anytime soon.

 

She downs one last gulp of beer, letting a soft and weak burp escape her lips. She walks out of her room, trailing disoriented footsteps along the ice cold marble floor. Trying her best to make sure the bottle doesn’t threaten to make a mess, she uses her very last ounce of energy left to fix the beer bottle on the kitchen counter.

 

The girls still aren’t back yet. Joohyun returns to her bed, imagining it to be Wendy’s warm, welcoming embrace. She lies on her side, turning her head to face the wall, and closes her soulless eyes. By now, the alcohol is starting to kick in, her head is now in a slight whirl and her thoughts a disorganised mess in her head. With her last strand of sobriety left, Joohyun pictures Wendy’s comforting smile. When she wakes up tomorrow, she will see Wendy’s face again.