From very far away, with no space left between us

35 ways to say I love you

It’s been two weeks. Two weeks since she left.

 

Seulgi’s heart was aching for Wendy’s presence as much as her mind was aching for some shut-eye. The monolid had been staying up for the second time that week waiting for the exchange student to phone her in the midst of her packed schedules.

 

“Seul you can’t keep going on like this…”

 

“But I miss you!!!” The taller girl whines through the phone, and Wendy could already picture the girl’s familiar pouted lips. It drew a wide grin across her face.

 

But in all seriousness, the younger girl was genuinely worried about Seulgi not getting any proper sleep ever since they parted ways. The older girl seemed to be always waiting for her call, and as much as Wendy would love to, she had classes to attend and essays to write.

 

“But you promised me babe...you told me you would take good care of yourself? This is far from what we discussed.” Wendy was a little close to snapping at her, but the hint of concern in the brunette’s voice was enough to keep Seulgi beaming. Despite being 11 days younger, Wendy was always the one to pamper Seulgi and the one to worry about her girlfriend, the raven-haired girl never seemed to grow up. 

 

“Now please….please go get some sleep. I’ll call you when I’m free ok? I love you” Wendy takes the phone off her earlobe and blows a soft kiss at the speaker.

 

“I love you too” Seulgi mumbles in between yawns and the brunette just can’t help but chuckle.

 

-----

 

Months pass. It’s surprising how the taller girl had managed to maintain her state of mind while living on 2 hours of (occasionally disrupted) sleep every night. But Wendy hadn’t been doing exactly well either. Not with finals coming up, 3 essays a week and having to gear herself up for the inter-school choir contest.

 

To the girls relief, all those sleepless nights (for different reasons, of course) would soon come to an end for Wendy was finally coming home after being away for an entire semester in Canada. Seulgi was genuinely amazed at her ability to go through so many months yearning to feel Wendy’s soft skin against her own cheeks only to wake up each morning with no one to snuggle up to.  Maybe it was also the work of the countless reports she had to submit, now that’ll have to wait.

 

-----

 

The duo had already reached the arrival hall when Joy was still deciding if she should have tagged along. She too wanted to see Wendy badly but thinking about the second hand embarrassment the raven-haired girl could give never failed to make her shudder. She was jolted out of her thoughts when she felt a firm tug at the hem of her sweater. 

 

“Seulgi please, we have another hour. Can you calm yourself down for once?” the taller girl complained. 

 

“Can you believe it? I actually lived through an entire semester without seeing Wendy. That’s unbelievable!! Sometimes I really surprise myself….”

 

Joy couldn’t help but roll her eyes. Now why was she even here?

 

-----

 

The sight of an overexcited girl craning necks and shoving and pushing earned the duo turned heads and bewildered stares. Now Joy was really beginning to hate herself for even being within a metre radius with Seulgi. But the shorter girl couldn’t care less. She wanted to see Wendy and that was all she could ever think about. The image of Wendy’s delicate chestnut orbs and the two dimples cradling her soft smile made Seulgi swoon. She had never wanted anything so badly before.

 

Finally the enthusiastic girl earned herself the silhouette of a familiar figure trailing familiar footsteps and soon she was face to face with the love of her life.

 

“WENDY!!!!” The monolid screamed (a little too loudly), lifting the shorter girl’s feet off the ground until her legs were gently latched onto her own waist. The taller girl didn’t give her girlfriend any time to react before she pressed her body tightly into Wendy’s warm embrace, nuzzling her jawline into Wendy’s sturdy shoulder and admiring her protruding collarbones. Wendy was evidently startled, but it didn’t take long for her to respond to the affectionate kisses peppered along her radiant cheeks. Wendy’s petite grin turned into a chuckle when she heard sobs coming from over her shoulder.

 

“Awww baby, it’s okay..” The shorter girl giggled as she ran her fingers through her girlfriend’s sleek raven hair. “How bad did you miss me?” Wendy slowly lowered her legs back onto the ground and wiped the tears of the monolid’s soft cheeks.

 

“Definitely more than you did.” Seulgi said in between sobs, an evident pout on her lips that Wendy missed seeing so much.

 

“Silly girl…” Wendy laughed. “Let’s go home sweetie...you must be so tired.” Wendy said upon noticing the dark circles surrounding Seulgi’s beautiful eyes.

 

“I love you baby, you know that right?”

 

“I love you too.”