Chapter Four – That pain was no joke

Dont you dare to dare me that!

Key stopped dancing and walked away from the group, he sit down on a wooden bench and let his head rest on his hands, letting out a long deep breath.
He messed up all day, his voice kept cracking, and he would forget the moves and the lyrics. Why was this happening to him?
He felt a hand on his shoulder and jumped away. Oh. It was just Onew.
Just Onew? Who was he expecting?

“Are you okay?” the leader asked. The others had stopped dancing as well and he could spot Jonghyun looking at him with worry. He dropped his eyes quickly.

The rapper nodded. “Yeah. I got a headache…”

Onew glanced over his shoulder for a bit and turned at the tired boy. “Then stop for a while. It’s okay, you’re probably stressed. Have the day, we’re not busy.”

Key looked up in surprise, frowning. “What? But-”

Onew made the diva stand up and took his bag, giving it to him. “It’s okay. I can handle our manager. Have the day. Relax a bit. You need time alone to think right?”

The blonde raised his eyebrows and blinked at the older boy. He sounded like…he knew something. “Jinki…you…”

“Just go.” The other smiled and pushed him to the room’s exit.

Key gave him a weird look but gave up, nodding and walking away slowly.
Onew closed the door and sighed when he saw Jonghyun walking in his direction.

“What’s wrong?” The dark haired singer asked, concern floating on his voice. He looked at the leader with big, anxious eyes. “Where did he go?”

Onew shrugged, smiling. “Don’t know, I gave him a free day. But he’s okay.”

Minho frowned angrily and crossed his arms. “What? What for? We need to practice! You saw how bad he got! His moves were out of time and he even forgot some!”

“He’s not a bad dancer. He never got like this before.” Jonghyun said right away, stepping in front of the taller boy.

Taemin bit his lip. He could sense a fight. This wasn’t good. “Hyungs…”

“I’m tired too! Am I stopping? I’m not! We carry on till we get it right!” Minho replied, his tone getting louder.

“Don’t-” Jonghyun glared at the rapper and was prepared to defend Key when Onew blocked his way with his arm.

“He isn’t bad at dancing Minho, you know that, it’s not his body that needs practice, but his mind. I only gave him the day because he really needs it. You know I don’t give free days just because I feel like it.” Onew said in a firm voice, making Minho look down and nod.

It was obvious that the taller boy wasn’t accepting the situation; however he accepted Onew’s decision, the leader was right, he didn’t give free days to anyone if there wasn’t a good reason to have them.

Taemin gave them a small smile and pushed Minho to the center of the room. “Let’s continue, ok? Let’s work hard!”



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Key had been at the salon for an hour now. He got his roots done, turning them blonde to match his dyed hair. This small trip gave him a lot of time to think.
Key opened his cellphone and stared at the wallpaper, smiling weakly. It was a photo that Jonghyun took from them both while they were lying on the sofa, watching TV. The boy’s smile was too precious, too adorable, and his eyes were so goddamned gorgeous, smiling at the camera.

Why did this have to happen?
Why did he had to kiss him?
Why did he had to be that sweet to him?

Jonghyun had simulated many playful kisses between them but this…this was real. He really did it and key could help but touch his lips every time he thought about that.

The way he had pulled him by the chin, always looking at Key’s eyes, the way he took his time brushing their lips, tasting them slowly…
Key felt a shiver run down his spine and shook his head a little, feeling his cheeks getting warm by second.

“Mr.Kim, it’s time to wash your hair.” The hairdresser said, smiling right next to him. “This way please.

He nodded and stood up, following the woman and sitting down again, resting his head down and letting the female finish her work. It felt good getting his roots done, he hated seeing those dark spots in the middle of his blonde hair. Maybe he should get his hair cut a bit too.
Feeling the warm water on his head, the boy closed his eyes, relaxing.
He regretted it right away. This has been his problem for the whole week. He couldn’t really focus on anything, not even on relaxing. His head was filled with flashbacks and memories of a flirty, puppy eyed dinosaur.
He frowned and felt his chest burn inside. He hated this pain, it bothered him greatly.

He could only think of the older boy smiling at him, his eyes lighting, always looking so caring and sweet.
Key knew that his bestfriend liked to flirt with him but he had never expected that he could have such loving eyes when he was about to kiss him, it was only normal for him to look disgusted or pissed off, instead he got shy and then…passionate.
Another shiver ran through his spine and Key let out a small whimper.

“Is the water too hot, Mr.Kim?” He heard the hairdresser ask in concern.

“No, it’s okay. I was just thinking, sorry.” He explained in a small voice.

God, why was this happening to him?
Every time Jonghyun looked at him, his voice would turn into a loud and pinched squeak and his legs would fail him. He got so nervous around him since that…incident.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Key arrived home later than he expected. He just didn’t want to face Jonghyun so soon, he felt too nervous and jumpy to do that just yet.
He opened the door slowly and he had been expecting to see a quiet and dark living room…not this.
Onew was on the phone, Taemin was sitting on the couch with his head on his knees and Minho looked pretty angry when he spotted Key.

“WHERE THE HELL WERE YOU?!” The taller boy shouted, grabbing Key by the arm, pulling him inside.

Taemin looked up right away and ran to him. “Key-hyung! We were concerned! You didn’t answer any calls!”

Onew sighed and let go of his phone, walking to the group. “We were worried, it’s almost midnight, you didn’t even came for dinner.”

“I’m sorry, I lost track of the hours, I didn’t know it was this late.” Key apologized sincerely, watching Taemin press his lips into a firm line. He could tell that they had been waiting for him for hours now. “I’m really sorry, I went for a walk. You didn’t have to wait.”

Minho sighed loudly pointed a finger at Key. “It’s not my place to question about your personal life, but next time let us know if you’re okay at least! We’re still your friends!”

“I said I’m sorry! Geez! My cell phone ran out of battery, see? ” Key opened his pink cellphone to show them the black screen.

Minho nodded and tapped Key’s back twice. “You got us worried, I’m going to sleep now, I’m tired. Goodnight.”

The boys wished the rapper a goodnight and watched him disappear inside the bedroom.
Key walked to the kitchen to get water and felt Taemin follow him.

“We were thinking the worse things when we tried to call you. I thought you had been kidnapped!” Taemin said in a sad voice. “I was kinda scared.”

Key chuckled and gave the boy a small hug. “Taemin! I’m not that easy to kidnap! I can run really fast! Faster than Onew when he sees chicken! ” he said, drinking his water and putting the cup down on the counter.

Taemin’s eyes brightened and he let out a giggle. “I’m glad you’re okay Key umma.”

“Yeah, but now we lost another one.” Onew commented, entering the kitchen with the cellphone on his ear again.

“What do you mean?” Kay asked in confusion. Then it hit him. The apartment was too quiet…where was Jonghyun?

“Jonghyun-hyung went to search for you when we told him that you were missing.” Taemin explained.

Key’s eyes widened. Jonghyun was searching for him?! But it started to rain just when Key walked into the building. Was he out there in the rain?
A sharp feeling of guilt grew inside him. That stupid dinosaur!!!

“Taemin, go to sleep, you must be tired. Me and Onew will get him home okay? Don’t worry and rest well.” Key said to the younger who didn’t protest much, he could tell that the boy was sleepy.

When Taemin left the room, Onew looked at Key’s troubled expression. “We were worried, but he freaked out completely.”

Key glanced at his friend and bit his lip. “Maybe I should go search for him…”

“No! We already got you back; we don’t need the two of you out in the rain, lost in the middle of the night!” Onew half-yelled in a serious voice, pressing another number on the phone. He was probably trying to contact Jonghyun.

Key felt like curling in a ball and hide in shame. An angry Onew scared him since the leader was usually a really calm guy. He hated causing problems, it made him feel so incredibly bad… “I’m really sorry…I didn’t realize It was so late…”

Onew shook his head and sighed. “It’s okay. Don’t worry about it s-“

Suddenly, both boys heard the apartment’s door open and shut loudly. Key took a deep breath and felt like hiding behind the kitchen’s counter. Onew made a noise with his tongue and placed the phone on the table, walking to the living room.

Key didn’t follow him; he just stood still, and listened to Jonghyun’s worried voice from the kitchen. “Jinki, I can’t find him! I even went to-”

Then Jonghyun stopped shouting and Key couldn’t really tell what they were talking about. Key felt a tug on his stomach, a weird feeling filling his insides, anxiety maybe.
His feline eyes stared at the floor. No, he wasn’t nervous; he was terrified, panicking even. Jonghyun was going to get so angry at him!!!

 “Key…”

The rapper looked up with a jolt to the familiar voice and he met a pair of big, round, dark brown chocolate eyes.
Jonghyun was staring at him from the kitchen’s door, his mouth slightly open and his clothes soaking wet. “Jjong-”

The lead singer didn’t let the other continue. Next thing he knew, strong muscular arms were wrapped around him, pulling him close.
Key knew his clothes were getting wet because of this but let the other hug him in silence.
Looking over Jonghyun's shoulder, he saw Onew by the door, who nodded at him and walked away.

They were alone. Oh no.

“You scared the hell out of me. Don’t do it again.”
Key flinched. Jonghyun’s voice sounded as miserable as he looked.

The shorter boy let go of Key and looked directly at the other’s feline eyes. He looked like a kicked puppy, his eyes shining in a dangerous way. Was he about to cry? “It was me wasn’t it?”

Key felt another tug on his stomach. What was with this awkward situation? He could feel the tick tension on the air! “What are you talking about?”

“I scared you away, didn’t I?” Jonghyun asked, his eyes never moving away from his friend’s. “It’s been a week..”

Key dropped his eyes to the floor, it was hard to look at those intense eyes right now. So damned hard.  “Hum…”

Jonghyun groaned and took Key’s hand, forcing the other to follow him out of the kitchen.

“W-where are you taking me?” Key gasped. God, why was he so ing shy?! He was almighty Key, not a stupid middle schooler! Get a grip of yourself!

Jonghyun ignored the younger boy and entered the spare bedroom, locking the door behind them. Key’s eyes widened.

“What are you doing?” Key asked in a much firm voice. Yes, it sounded a lot better now.

“I need to talk to you.” Jonghyun said in a serious tone. “Sit.”

Key sighed and took a sit on the bed, crossing his legs. “Look, I’m sorry, I didn’t noticed it was so late, I-”

“Not that.”

Key frowned and shot him a curious look. What then?
The older boy was about to talk when he sneezed. Key rolled his eyes and stood up, walking over to the wardrobe and taking out a set of pajamas. “Take that off, you’ll end up sick, I don’t want that.”

Jonghyun grabbed the pajamas and smiled at Key, murmuring a ‘thank you’.
Key went to the bathroom and took a towel; he returned to the room and placed it on his friend’s head, helping him dry his hair.
“I can’t stand you being sick…seriously…walking in the rain…”

Jonghyun gave Key a caring look, his eyes smiling by themselves under the towel.
Key blushed to the closeness and felt a warm hand on his, pulling him to the bed.
“Key…come here.” Jonghyun called him in a sweet, deep voice.

 “What is it? We need to go to sleep, it’s late.” He replied, sitting on the bed. He wanted to avoid this conversation so bad…!

“We have been awkward around each other since our kiss.”

Ouch, ouch ouch. He said it.

“Key, look at me.” Key felt his cheeks get really warm when a strong hand pulled his chin up, his eyes meeting Jonghyun’s. “I don’t want that. You’re too special to me, I can’t handle you being distant from me, I need you by my side, always.”

“I just…” Key whispered, not really sure what to say. His heart was hurting inside his chest.

“Do you realize how important you are to me?” Jonghyun asked, caressing the younger’s cheek tenderly.

“We’re good friends...” Key whispered, trying not to look into those big, beautiful eyes. He felt something inside him break as his own words slipped out of his mouth.

“Key…don’t shy away from me because of that game.” The main singer bowed his head to the side so he could meet the others eyes again.

“It’s not that easy!” Key shouted angrily, refusing to look into those manipulative puppy eyes. Why did they affect him so much anyways?!

“It was just a kiss. I don’t want to lose the relationship we have because of that.” Jonghyun insisted, squeezing Key’s hand.

Key closed his eyes in defeat. “I lied.”

Jonghyun blinked in confusion. “What?”

“On Minho’s truth or dare, I lied. I didn’t kiss that girl.” Key said in a low whisper, loud enough just to be heard by the other.

“You mean that…oh. OH.” Jonghyun suddenly realized it. “I…I was your first kiss?”

“Yeah, well, now you know why I can’t just forget it so easily.” Key snapped and then looked at his friend…who was looking way too pleased. Jonghyun had the brightest smile he had seen, his eyes shining like they had little crystals inside. He blushed. “Why are you so happy?!”

“I was your first kiss. That’s…amazing.” Jonghyun grinned in delight.

Key felt his cheeks heat even more. That stupid dino! What was he saying?! “What? How is it amazing?! Why-“

Jonghyun’s expression changed drastically, making Key quiet down. He looked sadly at the blonde. “Key, let’s be friends okay? Hug me?”

Key nodded and let himself being wrapped into those strong arms. He took a deep breath, this was almost over right? He felt happy, he should, they’re going back to being friends, and that was awesome.
Jonghyun pulled Key closer, burring his nose on the rappers neck, making him shiver. Key closed his eyes and fought the urge to whimper. Jonghyun’s smell was so familiar…he didn’t want to let go… And there was that strange pain again. God!
It hurt so bad inside. What was happening to him?
Key bit his lip as warm tears escaped his eyes, meeting Jonghyun’s shoulder. He couldn’t help it, he sobbed.

Jonghyun pulled away immediately, taking Key’s head on his hands. “Key! Why are you crying?”

Key felt the urge to cry harder. Why did he had to talk with such caring voice?! He didn’t talk like that to the others! Why only him?! “I-I don’t know…”

“Talk to me, what’s wrong?” Jonghyun asked, wiping the blonde’s tears with his thumb.

“I-I don’t know! I’ve been feeling strange, it’s driving me mad.” Key sobbed. “There is this pain..”

“Pain? Where?” Jonghyun asked worriedly.

Key sobbed and pointed to his chest, right at his heart. “Here. Inside. ”

Jonghyun’s eyes widened. There were instants of silence; the older male seemed to be thinking, making different faces. First he looked surprised, then happy, then anxious and then…he looked at him. “Does…does it hurt when I’m around you…?” He asked, his voice sounding really weird.

“Yes! It pisses me off! I’m all okay and then you come closer and it happens! I don-”

Key couldn’t say anything else as a mouth covered his own. His eyes widened and Jonghyun pulled away, smiling at Keys shocked face. “Here. I feel it too.”

He grabbed Key’s hand and guided it to his chest, above his heart.

Kim Kibum never felt so weird. Jonghyun’s heart felt like it was going to jump out of his chest at any moment, feeling it bump hard and quickly at his ribcage. If he listened carefully, he could hear it for sure.
So this pain…
It wasn’t pain.

“I love you.”

Key’s feline eyes met Jonghyun’s.
This was love.

“You’re so cheesy.” Key broke the silence, smirking.

Jonghyun’s mouth dropped. “What?! I just confessed to you!”

“And it was way too cheesy!” Key complained, crossing his arms.

“You’re a diva!” Jonghyun accused, pointing a finger to the blonde.

“And you’re a cheesy dinosaur! Confess again!” Key made his best to don’t look overjoyed.

Jonghyun’s lips curved into a smile. “You just like to hear it…!”

“I guess I do.” Key whispered, fighting the urge to smile.

Jonghyun smirked and pulled Key to his lap, wrapping his arms around him. “You know…you have the cutest pouty lips. I really like them. ”

Key blushed and made a dramatic fake sigh. “And the cheesiness gains a new level.”

Jonghyun laughed and pressed his lips on the blonde’s.
Playing truth or dare wasn’t as bad as he thought.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

HOPE YOU LIKED IT!!!!