This Colorless Prison

Fragments

Kicking the rock that skipped ahead when it hit her shoe, she sighed. She knew this day would come, but never believed it would be this soon. When the rock flew forward into the middle of the busy street, she paused, knowing she lost the small company on this short walk. Her body was limiting her anyway. She turned around and glanced at the building she called home for the past few years. There was nothing more they could do. She was as good as a corpse. The plastic tag around her wrist had branded her as a patient. It wasn’t the smell of the cleaning products nor the doctors and nurses that relentlessly worked on her case that she will miss, but it was one specific face—one specific boy. Meeting suddenly, nothing else seemed to matter at that moment. He had sped down a narrow hallway, littered with people, in a wheelchair. He had only stopped when she held her hand out to him. She wanted a friend. Knowing she had nothing left to lose, she pushed away her fear of rejection.

This. This was the start of it all.

---

(Y/N Pov)

“Jungkook! Stop that! Give it back!!” I shouted as I jumped for the small stuffed bunny. He only laughed in reply as he continued to hold the rabbit far above his head.

“Kookie!!!” I tried again, only to be met with the same fate. Just then, a nurse walked in.

“Jungkook, stop bullying her,” she said in a monotone voice, not even looking over at us. “Honestly you two fight like a married couple! I wouldn’t be surprised if you two end up married at this rate.”

Jungkook snorted. “Her? Please. I have higher standards.”

Out of instinct, my hand smacked his arm as a pout formed on my face. “Hey. I should be the one saying that,” I retorted.

“Oh yeah? Have you looked in the mirror?” he smirked.

“Yes. And I came to the conclusion I am way out of your league,” I said with a smile, flipping my hair dramatically.

“Tsk tsk. Look at you two. Come here Y/N. Time to check vitals,” the nurse said, gesturing towards the bed. Jungkook looked over at the women and lowered his arm. Quickly taking the chance, I lunged for the bunny, pulling it safely out of his hands. I quickly turned around and made my way to the bed covered in white sheets and plopped myself down with a triumphant smile. I held the stuffed animal tight in my arms as the nurse approached me with the cold stethoscope. As the nurse checked everything, I ran my fingers over the seams of the soft, fluffy item. A minute passed in silence.

“I don’t know why you love that thing so much,” Jungkook said, watching my hand trace the lines.

“Why wouldn’t I love it? It was a gift,” I answered, continuing my actions.

“You get plenty of other gifts,” he continued.

“Yeah but this one was from you! My bunny boy!” I said with a smile, taking this chance to look up at him only to see his eyes were already trained on mine. I froze at his stare. Was I even breathing? Time seemed to stand still.

“Well. Looks like I will have to check up on you in about four hours,” said the nurse, breaking the deafening silence. “You two be good now,” she continued and made her way to the white door that was framed by white walls.

Slowly, he made his way towards me and gently sat on the other side of my bed. Unsure of his thoughts, I could only watch his gently movements. The only thing I could pick up on was his unusual seriousness.

“So…It has been over a few months since we met,” he started, looking away from me. “And I got the okay to get out of this place earlier this morning.”

I looked at him, trying to catch a glimpse of his normally bright, glistening eyes, so full of life.

“And…I just wanted you to know that I had a reason for disappearing on you…” he continued.

“You’re not dying. If you have time, come visit me,” I said cheerfully. I was happy that he is getting out of this prison. But my heart began to ache at the same time. He finally looked back up at me. Those glistening eyes captured me once more. But this time, there were hints of sadness, and no longer traces of brightness. My smile faltered—I couldn’t help it.

“But…it won’t be the same!” he argued, tears threatening to spill. “I wish I could stay here with you…”

“Don’t say that!” I scolded. “Be happy you can walk freely around and breathe in non-filtered fresh air.”

“I just…” he started, but only a long paused followed these two words.

“You…” I said, trying to push him to continue. He sighed and shook his head. I didn’t want to break him, so I didn’t push it. I glanced at his hospital clothes that mirrored mine.

I continued to watch his still figure. Thoughts must be racing through his head. The things I would do to know just what he was thinking. But honestly, the only thought that filled my head was if we would be able to meet again.

It has been a year.