The future is always begining now (Irene)

A CHAPTER ON MY YOUTH

“Welcome, Mam, table for? “ Asked a pretty waitress while smiling widely when I walk in to the restaurant that day.

“Ah, I already have a reservation in the name of Mrs Bae, “ I said to her.

“Oh, wait a minute, we’ll confirm it. “ She said politely. “Ah, sure, Mam, table for two people, right? Please follow me, “

In just a moment I already sit in a comfortable creamy colored sofa.

“Can I get you anyting to drink? “ Offerd the waiter.

“Just water, “ I said.

“Great, I’ll be right back, “ She smiled.

 

I smiled back at her before turn my eyes to roam around the restaurant for a moment. What a nice restaurant. Mom must be really working hard this time to even search such a romantic looking restaurant like this, I told myself.

This restaurant called Valenrio—as I looked at the nap in the table that have a Valenrio word in there. It is an Italian restaurant. It is indeed a beautiful and highclass restaurant. At the heart of the restaurant a chandelier made up of over 100 individually-blown glass lenses sparkle over along, sleek central table. The floor and ceiling windows iluminate surfaces of marble or Venetian plaster splashed with bold geometric patterns.

I sit in the side ways. In my right side, there is a big glass window which from that I can see perfeclty scenery on outside.

“Mam, here a glass of water as you ordered.” The waitress come to my table a few minutes later. “Have you decide what you’d like or do you need some more time?” She asked politely.

“Ah, I’m waiting for my companion. So I’ll order later, “ I said.

I looked at my watch, reminding my self that I just have one hour to have a lunch with whoever my mom asked me to met. And He is already 10 minutes late to our appointment. Honestly, if he lates for more than 30 minutes, I’ll consider to reject this blind date. I said to myself.

I look away to the scenery outside. Ah it is raining now. I smiled to myself while watching the rain pouring outside. The rain looks so beautiful. After all, I like rain. Ah, maybe, he is late because of this rain. Seoul’s street can be crowded when its raining, more over it is lunch time now. I think positively.

My eyes catch a purple coloured bus which just stopped not far from the resaturant. The bus’s color is my favorite. In the bus’s body, there is some idol face with a number that seemed like his birthday number. Ah, it is an birthday bus add for idol, I mumbled.

From the bus, a few people get off. First is a small kid that holding her mother’s hand. So cute, how that boy literally drowned in his own raincoat. The second passenger is an old woman, who carry a lot of bags. It so sad to see her strugle while get off the bus and trying to keep her body dry from the rain. Someone should helped her, I said to myself. Ah, here the good boy come, I said as I looking at a highschool boy who get off after the old woman and come over to her to helped her carry her bag to some dry place. The fifth and Sixth passenger make me feel a lot of things that I dont want to feel right now. A man and a woman get off from the bus.The man embraces the woman with one of his arms while the other hand holding an umbrella. And my heart flutter when I see how 80% of the umbrella completly cover the woman, and not the man himself. So sweet.

This scenario make me remembered about some memories. A memories that so beautiful to forget but so hurtful to remembered. But that is all how my memories with him worked. All the memories, whether its good or bad, for me always feel so precious right now---so hard to forget.

My mind goes to the memories from one years ago, it was also raining that time---raining so badly. It was raining until we cant even see where to walk and cant recognize what is in front of us. And unlike today, I’m not alone siting in a warm restaurant. Back then, I sat with some man in his car. A car that for someone reason picked that day to break down.

“So, what did he say? “ I asked curiosly.

“He said he will try to come here, noona. But it will take an hour, “

“Uuuuhhhh, “ I whined.

The man besides me smiled looking at my act. “So cute, “ He said while holding my right hand.

I looked at him. “What cute?! “ I said. “Boguma-ah, what should we do? The rain getting so bad. I cant even see what in front of us anymore, “

“Yeap, it is that bad. “ He said while looking at outside of the car. “We can sit in here while waiting for my manager or... “ he said while stared at my eyes fondly.

“Or what? “

“Or... “ His smile getting wider. “We can get out of the car and searched for some food. Dont you hungry, noona? “

I looked at him in disbelief.

“Okay, now, you think it is a bad idea, “ He said while pouted.

“Because it is a bad idea, Bogum! “ I said.

“Oh why? It will be boring to just sit here---but of course it is not true at all, if its with you boring is not in my dictionary! “

“Ugh, stop with the chessiness! “ I said feeling goosebump all over my body.

He laughed at me. He really knows that I hate when he acted so chessy thats way he often teased me with that.

“You’ll get discovered, bogum. What people will think if they saw you with me eating in their restaurant. You’ll get in a lot of trouble! “ I explained to him.

“Noona, it wont happend. Look! It is raining so bad and as you said before you couldn even look who is who. How can they recognize me? We can just search some street food like deokboki... come on, please, “ He pleaded with his puppy eyes.

Ugh I looked at those puppy eyes and melted right away. Bogum always doing this if he want something and its always hard for me to resist him.

I sighed. “Okay, do as you wish! But still, put you hat and glasses. Prevention is better! “

He smiled so widely and then kiss my hand two times lovingly. “Yes, Mam, “

Both of us then get off from his car with one big umbrella. His right hand holding my hand so tightly so that I can feel his warmth. I looked above to his face---because of course, I’m such a shortie and he is such a tall man. I smiled when looking at his childish smile while looking around---maybe feeling free for the first time in while.

“It is such a nice feeling, “ he said while leans to me.

“So what are we going to get? “ I asked him, shouted this time because apparently the rain is really bad. I couldnt even heard anything despites the wind and sounds.

Bogum pointed at some peddlers not far from there. We walked to there while trying hard not to get drowned in this rain.

“Welcome, “ The seller, an ahjussi, greeted us happily. “Woow, in such weather and still out in a date, eh? “ He teased us. “Ahahahaha, being young is great! “

Bogum and I laughed at his remarks and  I dont know why but I’m feeling so happy. Maybe because its the first time someone---other than our friends or family---literally called us as a couple. I’m happy and he is happy too. What a great day. That day we eat so much food like deokboki and fishcake and talked so much with the vendor as laughing while hearing the sound of the rain.

“What a memories, “ I said. A light smile come to my faced. ‘I miss you, ‘ My heart said without I realized. A word that should be banned if it is about him. I tried to control my face. I like to being in control for everything. And I’m matured enough to walk away from relationship that will go nowhere. I already decided. He also already decided. I wont ever regret all of this. Afterall, there is must be a reason why I need to met him, felt in love, and then separated.

“Joohyun, I’m sorry. I’m really sorry. I have an emergency surgery before I came here and then the rain getting so badly and I got caught in a traffic jam. I’m sorry for coming late almost 30 minutes, “

I looked above and see a man with familiar face stand in front of me with apologetic face. His white shirt looked wet because of the rain, so do his black hair.

“Huh, Jun-myeon oppa? What are you doing here? “ I asked confused.  

And then, this time, maybe, the wheel of destiny begins to revolve again.

---

To be continued.