FINAL

The ERROR Of My Ways

Based on Error; Vixx

I wrote this story for my english coursework, it's short due to the word count I was given, and incredibly angst. Nonetheless I hope you enjoy this short story!


{The ERROR Of My Ways}

24th December 2016, 23:58

My beloved told me she was sorry; developing ovarian cancer was her fault and she felt guilty for ruining my life.

I told her countless times that she should stop feeling remorseful, developing cancer was not her error and she shouldn’t feel burdened for leaving me. Even if it pained me to see the last ounces of strength being away from her.

Nonetheless, I didn’t break down. I contained my composure and convinced myself all I wanted was for her to lead a blissful next life.

Every time she looked at me with her dead, empty eyes, a part of my heart would crumble away like grains of sand. I was worried for when the Grim Reaper did decide to attack, my heart would exist no more.

She asked me one day that if I could have any wish what would it be. I simply replied with the cliché answer of, “I want you to be happy.” But she could see right through me like a glass window, she knew my real response was “I don’t want you to die.” That question was the last thing she had ever said to me, I had received no comment back from my wish, just a small, disappointed smile. I squeezed her ice cold hand with mine and I watched a stray tear fall down her pale, sunken cheeks. Her pupils began to dilate and the dreaded noise of one long, continuous beep I never wanted to hear ringed in the background.

Everything was now a blur, the only thing I could focus on was the small hand I was holding on to for dear life. I didn’t want to let go just yet. I couldn’t survive without her.

I never said I love you.

My heart felt like it was being stabbed by a thousand sharp needles. I blamed death for this day. Death took my love and I would never get her back. Death took the sun out of my solar system, and now my heart was icing over. My sub-conscious was screaming at me to get revenge, to find a way to go against the law of nature, to commit a taboo by cheating death. And on that day I made a mental note to myself, which has stuck with me for a century.

I needed to find a way to tell my sun, I love her.

♦♦♦

25th December 2116, 00:02

A sea of black, blue and red entangled wires occupied the dull, grey steel floor. Machinery hummed and buzzed in every corner, showing that you could never reach tranquillity down here. My ‘office’ was a small room, you could compare with a cheap, bog standard bathroom. The enclosed white walls were now a memoire to the love story I never had. Pictures upon pictures were badly tacked to the walls showing black and white, Polaroid style, photos of her existence.

I sat down at my desk, the worn out leather chair squeaking with the pressure of human contact. Swivelling it around, I was faced with three monitors and a broken keyboard, missing the letters E, X, O, V and I. The letters E, X and O reminding me of how I was an exile, exactly like an EXO planet.

“RED ALERT, RED ALERT!”

I was snapped out of my thoughts with the loud drumming of a siren. My protocols took over and my body was quick responding to the sudden outburst of the alarm. I turned my head over to the CCTV monitor and examined the scene. My eyes widened to the size of an owl’s, realisation hitting me square in the head like a brick.

They were after me.

“Time to start experiment 723.” I muttered to myself, I approximately had eight minutes and thirty three seconds before they would be able to break down the reinforced door. I sat impatiently in my seat waiting for the upload to finish, when I heard an ear piercing sound upstairs.

They’ve broken in.

A ding signified that the upload was complete. I jumped out of my chair, eager to see if my experiment had worked this time. I placed my hands on my desk, trying to keep myself steady. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing right now. The glass cylinder opened, smoke pouring out and I could feel my eyes mist over.

“Hongbin.” The metallic voice sang, and I couldn’t contain my tears any longer. I was about to run over to my fiancé, we still had time to escape to the un-advanced zone. My mistakes, sins and past wouldn’t be able to cross the border.

It was a second too late. 

I watched her eyes focus on something behind me, she opened , but I couldn’t hear a word. Sparks and blood were flying out in every direction, and I looked down to see my artificial heart being disconnected from my body. My vision became static, I couldn’t pick up a signal anymore. I kept seeing the giant, red words, DANGER, popping up everywhere. I fell to the ground, coughing up crimson liquid, but I never tore my gaze away from my sun.

I smiled softly at the centre of my universe, her eyes never breaking away from mine. The DANGER signs were appearing more and more, and I knew I had to complete my mission.

I love you. I mouthed and I observed a black tear escape her eye. Everything suddenly started disappearing out of view and I was left with the word:

SHUTDOWN.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

►▷▷▷▷INSTALL INCOMPLETE

 

►►▷▷▷INSTALL INCOMPLETE

 

►►►▷▷INSTALL INCOMPLETE

 

►►►►▷INSTALL INCOMPLETE

 

►►►►►INSTALL COMPLETE

 

Hongbin opened his eyes, lines of red code flashing through his orbs. This is the punishment God had bestowed upon him for disturbing the natural order of this world, for a man who wanted nothing more than to cheat death. His one wish was granted. 

"INSTALL INCOMPLETE!" He screams.

"INSTALL INCOMPLETE!" 

"INSTALL INCOMPLETE!" With every distressed shout, he claws at his body. Trying to remove every part of him, pulling out wires left, right and center. But it was not enough, his body would just reconfigure itself each time. 

"Install incomplete." He lets out a ragged whimper, and the tears he felt just wouldnt fall. 

He was no lounger human, his body made that very clear. He was now, just simply an error.


Thank you for reading! Please upvote and comment.

~kjdosh 💖