Chapter One

The right scent

Chapter 1

 

 

 

Kyungsoo was at the beginning of his shift. He worked at a night bar, one of those with deafening music, many bodies dancing without control, many women and as much alcohol as you can get. Glamorous? Hell yes, as glamorous as a piece of pizza that has been in the refrigerator longer than it should. It was cold, dull and potentially dangerous for your health.  The only thing he was grateful for, it was that his job wasn’t in the club itself, but in the backstage. He scrubs glasses, refills bottles, clean mops, swipes floors and whatever chore his lovely boss would tell him to do. Only from time to time he was needed on the dance floor to pick up the empty glasses with a huge tray. He was proud of his balance. He’d had hate to serve drinks, though he didn’t have the chance (or the inclination) because as his boss told him every other night, he wasn’t enough.

He wasn’t enough tall, handsome, bubbly or attractive in any way the customers here seemed to be accustomed to. He was perfectly fine with not being at the counter or serving drinks at the private rooms.  He already had his share of teasing and touching customers before. No thanks, one time was enough.

Kyungsoo was, for a better word to say it, a small man. It was true he wasn’t tall, aaaaat all. He was average at the very least. He was a quiet person, serious by nature and not very well at the magic art to socialize. But he wasn’t a solitary man, he had friends (a few well-chosen friends) and he had the same interest in people as the others, not women though, they’ve never had the same effect in him as men would. Well, he was at peace with this part of him long ago even if his father wasn’t.  He threw him out of his house when he confided in him.

 

Wrong move, he thought. He moved in an apartment if you can call it that, in a very questionable part of the city. His savings and his part-time job didn’t give him for more.

 

Wrong move, again. As he was a small fellow and quite young, people said that he was cute and pretty (he considers himself very manly, thank you very much) with his big eyes and plump lips, he used to get a lot of teasing at his job (another questionable night bar where no one seemed interested in his age) and a few pinches on his thighs in a while, not because he was extremely desirable, Kyungsoo used to think it was all about control and power. No worries, he only needed to be careful and he was able to avoid the insistent ones until the night he quit his job.

Oh man! That was a tough night. 

No, it didn’t happen what you are thinking, thank god, but what happened wasn’t any better either. He rejected a passionate and insistent customer (no, he did not give anyone a , no matter how much money you are willing to throw at me). Then was when he noticed the first punch. He didn’t really felt the ones who followed the first. What he did notice however were the surgeries it was needed it to mend him.  He still had the scars. That’s another thing he didn’t like about working at the dance floor. Sometimes the workers have to their shirts, just a couple buttons to spice things up a bit or to get a few extra bucks in the tip but he has a pretty disgusting scar that went through his left shoulder to his collarbone, and he didn’t want to let anyone see that.

Anyway, his job suited him the best, his boss was a bit of an and a very rude person, but he cared about his employees in questions that really matter. He didn’t have to do extra hours, which was really important cause he had classes in the morning, he was paid at time and his boss was a security freak, so Kyungsoo was content with his job.

When you worked behind the curtains you didn’t usually see any customers unless they took a wrong turn while looking for the bathroom or if they were friends with the boss. Kyungsoo knew a few of the regular customers, either for helping them more than once or because they were acquaintances from outside the club.  He was friendly with one of the VIPs, or rather the VIP was friendly with him, he didn’t know why but he always seemed to be gentle and a bit clinging when he came at the club alone. This should worry him, but Kyungsoo didn’t sense danger in him, so he let him be. Sehun was younger than him, slim, blonde and as quiet as he was. But he saw him always like a puppy, he didn’t know why.  His company though, that was another story. He has seen him before, on the occasions he was zigzagging on the dance floor doing anything he could to stay unnoticed. 

His name was Kai.

He was handsome but dark, and it wasn’t because of his natural sunkissed tan skin, no, it was something in the way he moved, in the way he stared, in the way he embraced the woman when he was dancing, with a lean body that hides a promise of power, there was something…animalistic in him. He was really hot but he wasn’t sure if he would like to meet him in a dark alley.

Ok... yes, Kyungsoo had been staring at Kai, but it was only because you cannot do anything to avoid it.  He was always surrounded by the most beautiful women, the ones who wear expensive mini dresses and had gorgeous long hair or bright jewelry. The way they moved around him was short of mesmerizing. They use to circle him, like asking to be seen, to be touch, to be eaten. He indulged them, sometimes. He didn’t care if he was alone or if Sehun and the others were around. If he had the impulse to touch a woman the only thing he had to do was extend one of their arms and sit one of them in his lap and hide his face in the crock of her neck. That’s the time when Kyungsoo usually stopped looking. Not because he was embarrassed, Kai obviously wasn’t, but it was kind of private business so…once he thought about the impossibility that something like that happened to him, Kai was a man that could have any woman (or man) he wanted, why he would like to spare even a glance toward him? That was a sour thought so he stopped thinking it.

 

 

 

Kyungsoo almost drops the rag he was holding when he runs into one of the most beautiful women he had ever seen before. Even for someone with no interest in women, this one was gorgeous, with long dark hair and a pair of long amazing legs in what looked like very expensive and very painful high heels. Fair skin, plump red lips and deep dark eyes. Really beautiful and really drunk.

He helped her regained balance, but her damn shoes were keeping stubbornly slipping on the smooth surface.

“Those things…help me will you?!” she said rudely. Sighing and trying to hide the powerful impulse to roll his eyes he took one of her arms and placed it over his shoulders letting her lean on him for support. They were the same size, although he would like to see her barefoot. He laughed under his breath.

 

After a few minutes, when she finally could stay up alone, he left her near the dance floor, scurrying away not before taking a good glance towards the VIP area, where Kai and Sehun were drinking and arguing, it seemed.  No, not arguing, Sehun was talking and Kai was rolling his eyes as in exasperation. 

He turned back and, as he crossed one of the bartenders in the corridor next to the kitchen, he bumped hard with his arms and after hearing a hiss he stopped, surprised.

“ Hey, sorry Jongdae, are you ok?” Jongdae frowned scanning him and then smiled.

“I’m fine, but you have a deadly weapon over there man, didn’t know you were into sparkling earrings” he pointed with his chin at his left shoulder where a very brilliant and sharp star earring got caught on the fabric of his shirt.

“Oh, great” he sighed.

 “That looks expensive, dude, you hooked up with a ing millionaire or what?” Jongdae chuckled.

”Very funny, I helped one of the customers before. She was completely wasted, I should get this back to her” Kyungsoo said while detaching the jewelry off his shirt carefully, thinking about the fit she could throw when she realized she had lost it.

“Good luck man, if you can’t find her tell me and I’ll help you, ok?” Jongdae replayed waving his hand.

When Kyungsoo reached the dance floor he thought it would be very difficult to find one particular woman among the crowd. Well, she had long black hair, she was wearing a red short dress, the expensive kind and just one earring. Eaaaasy. At the very least, she seemed to be a  very wealthy woman, Kyungsoo thought, so even if he didn’t want to do it he took the way toward the Vip area where he would probably find her trying to be hunter or prey.

Kyungsoo only had to take a quick look to find her, he should have known. HE was indeed a man who COULD get any woman he wanted. Good Lord, the way he was feeling her, Kai’s face was hidden in her neck, his hand on her waist. He was frowning in concentration when he lifted her head to breathe her in as he positions his nose and mouth near her earlobe. Kyungsoo turned around the moment he saw him her neck and tightening their embrace as the woman got weak at the knees. Nope, he didn’t need to see that. Thank you.

What Kyungsoo didn’t see was the way Kai pushed the woman from him with a question stuck in his throat or his fiery expression as he pulled her closer to, once again, bury his face in her neck. 

 

♦♦♦

 

 

He didn’t go to the dance floor the next day nor the following days, if he needed to go, he tried to make Baekhyun do it. He didn’t want to see Kai anymore. Why he had to keep thinking about things that were impossible to happen? No, he was a sensible man, and he didn’t like more complications in his life. He needed to focus on his morning classes, become a good accountant and quit this kind of job so he can work in a proper office, with a decent payment so he could live in a decent place. He had a lot of work to do, so he needed no distractions.

The thing was that lately, it was rather difficult not to see Kai, he seemed to be everywhere at the club. He didn’t meet him, he was good at avoiding people, but it was a hard job to fulfil his chores when you have to keep looking over your shoulder. It was a matter of survival; if he kept seeing him, he undoubtedly will fall for him, like hard, and that will be a complete mess cause having a one-sided love with Kai would hurt like a .

“Who is he looking for?” he heard MinHo said one night in the kitchen as he closed the litter bag.

“I don’t know, man, maybe his girlfriend ditched him or something” answered Jongdae scoffing

“What happened?”Kyungsoo asked, getting near them.

“Do you know that dude, the tan one, the one in the Vip section? Who always came with that slim blonde one, the one with the sharp jaw?” asked Jongdae

“ The blonde…Sehun? Yes, I know him, I haven’t seen him lately to say the truth” thought Kyungsoo, notice at that point the absence of the puppy man.

“Well, that friend of his, the dark one, is acting strange these days, he always stayed at the VIP area, but now he is always wandering like looking for someone, ”  Jongdae said scratching the back of his neck as if there was something bothering him,

“Many people came here to “look for someone” you know? What’s the difference?” Kyungsoo asked a bit upset just from the imaginary scene of Kai looking desperately for some hot chick.

“It’s not only that, is just…I don’t know man,” MinHo said “he’s acting like really weird, I mean the other day, remember when I helped you reaching that boxes in the storage room,” he said to Kyungsoo, who nodded. “Well he stopped me in the middle of the dance floor, nearly made me throw my tray and he…well, he kind of h-hugged me?” he said awkwardly.

“You too?” Jongdae seemed relieved of not being the only one who had shared that religious experience  “If I was a woman I’d thought he was hitting on me, I mean I’m not into males but well, you know, he’s hot and …well, it was kind of a shock and the other day, when it was?...oh yeah! When Baekhyun dropped the tray in the kitchen and you cut yourself and Minseok hyung help you, well he told me he almost got fired for getting into a fight with him. Said the guy was out of his mind, that he didn’t make sense at all, I mean…we don’t know the guy but he was constantly asking if Minseok was with someone, if he was single…”

“Maybe he was trying to hit on him…” Minho shrugged

“Yelling at him? Man, that guy is mental, I’m telling you”

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo didn’t know what to think of all this as he went out the bar through the back door where the alley with the huge trash bins were. He didn’t know why Kai was acting like that all of a sudden. He stopped thinking. “No” he murmured to himself “You really don’t care”. He closed the bin at the end of the dark alley when he felt a presence behind him. Kyungsoo knew it must be one of the employees who was taking a cigarette break or something of the sort, but he couldn’t take the weird feeling off his chest.

“Finally” he heard as a figure came closer to him.

He turned around to see someone in the shadows, someone who was staring at him.

Kyungsoo took a step back without noticing it, scratching his elbow with the corner of the metal container, drawing blood without almost even feeling it, cause he knew what was coming next will hurt more.

“We meet again, honey.”

 

 

♦♦♦

 

 

Kyungsoo couldn’t think. His mind went blank as the big man was getting nearer and nearer every time he breathed. 

“Do you remember me, don’t you boy?” the man said relishing in the fear on Kyungsoo’s face.

“W-what do you w-want? H-how did you know I was here?” asked Kyungsoo, trembling as the scar in his shoulder started tingling painfully.

“You paid for what you did, or for what you didn’t, right?” the man used a tone that sent shivers through Kyungsoo’s spine  “I paid as well, 3 years…” the man continued slowly, with the promise of revenge in his voice.

“Why are you doing this?” Kyungsoo stopped when he couldn’t take any more steps back as his back collided softly with the wall behind the bins.

“You have to pay, honey, for the 3 years I stayed in jail, and the 2 years I wasted looking for you…it’s only fair, don’t you think so?”

Kyungsoo wasn't, by any means, a coward. But you needed a very different kind of bravery to stay calm when you already know how much the result would hurt. He was getting dizzy, his sight was getting blurry as he started panting in look for an oxygen he was not getting. He needed to do something, scream, ask for help, anything… “I will not make it this time,” he thought. The sound of a door opening behind the man made Kyungsoo take a sharp breath. Someone, someone is there. Help, he thought. But there wasn’t anyone. The alley as black as always, with only the scratching of the man’s shoes on the pavement and his heavy breathing.

He hissed when the man grasped Kyungsoo by the elbow, the cut in there, throbbing painfully.

Everything happened in a blur, Kyungsoo was staring at the big man in front of him and the next second he was on the floor covering his head with his arms, hearing the sickening sound of bone against flesh as a deep growl resounds through the alley. It took a few seconds for Kyungsoo to realize that he was not feeling the pain he was expecting, nor the mass of limbs near him. He opened his eyes. Trembling he tried to sit up, leaning his back on the concrete wall.

 It wasn’t a fight. For a fight to be real, it was needed two fighters. There wasn’t two there. The man couldn’t even see what was hitting him, not to say hit back. The speed of the attacker was unbelievable and well aimed.

Ok. Enough. Kyungsoo thought as his world went black.

 

 

♦♦♦

 

 

 

 

The thing was… he didn’t like that place at all. Well, that wasn’t true, Kai thought, but almost. The constant blast of the music was good, but the mixed of scents was overwhelming. He knew that Sehun, as a Beta, could manage it, but him as the Alpha couldn’t. His senses were a lot stronger than Sehun’s but he needed the distractions. Being the Alpha of a pack of other four werewolves was no easy thing. Why? Cause being a Wolf usually mean troubles. Not because they want it, but because they cannot avoid them. As they were stronger, faster and (sorry not sorry) more attractive than average, they usually have to deal with cocky human males with more testosterone than brains. Humans always wanted to prove themselves better than wolfs even without knowing their existence. Useless thing in Kai’s opinions but maybe that was the way humans cope with how vulnerable they actually were, or at least that was his beta Suho told him once.  

“Dude, what’s with that face?” Sehun told him as he placed the bottle on the crystal table.

“Too much” answered Kai briefly

“The scent? Yeah, tonight even my nose sting a bit…why don’t you bring a woman? That may help” said Sehun as he perused the dance floor.

Sometimes, when he cannot bear with the sting in his nose, having someone next to him, like almost-in-his-lap-next, usually help Kai with the overwhelming mixed of scent, that way he can focus on her smell, in her scent or his scent, depends on the night, so the rest gets out of focus and he can enjoy the music.

He made a sign to one of the woman dancing near them, a pretty little thing with a flowery violet dress who was trying to draw his attention for a while. She sat next to him in no time, giggling at her friends and waving her hair in a flirty manner.

“Hey handsome,” she said getting near.

He took a deep breath, trying to focus on the flavour of her scent, at the sweet smell that the movement of her hair had increased. Too sweet for him, but it was strong and that’s the only thing that matter in that moment.

“Hey baby girl, what about sharing a drink with me?”

 

They get acquainted for a couple of hours, or a couple of minutes really, she was not that interesting to say the truth. A lot of girly talk, and her getting touchy, and him indulging her by nuzzling at her neck whispering sweet nonsense while focusing on her perfume.

It was a good night, a boring one, but good none the less. Sehun was babbling about a hyung working here that was going to make them an explosive cocktail or something of the sort making Kai roll his eyes in exasperation more than once. He really didn’t care. Sehun was always speaking. Well…not always, he was a quiet person with everyone except with him. When he was outdoors or in others company you could just kill him without hearing a single word from him, but with the pack, and especially with Kai he was the most insanely talkative person you would find.

While looking Sehun disappearing in the middle of the crowd at the dance floor he started to notice the mixed scents again. Tsk, time for a change of partner. He talked with the little woman a few minutes and then he left her with the excuse to use the bathroom and no baby girl, this time I will go alone.

 

As Kai was directing himself near the end of the VIP area when a trace of a scent caught his attention, it was the most incredible scent, fresh, clean and so so alluring… He looked around him, trying to distinguish from where the scent was coming. A gorgeous woman in a tiny red dress was struggling to stay on her two feet when she looked at him. It was her. Without stopping to think he went toward her, the crowd splitting as he walked through.

The girl had noticed him, she batted her eyelashes and her lips with a beautiful pink tongue.

As he came closer the scent was stronger, but not nearly enough. Kai stood towering over her, breathing, just inhaling that scent that cleared his mind and made him feel dizzy at the same time.

No doubt she was into him as well. As soon as the girl put her hands on his waist, Kai leaned on her and with a slow growl went forward, nuzzling the crook of her neck.  He inhaled deeply, and as he tasted her smell he found that the scent was covering another one, something pungent, rich, like coffee. This wasn’t right. He frowned.

Kai retreated for a moment, looking at the girl trying to understand the dichotomy. He embraced her and the girl’s neck until the point behind her earlobe making no notice to her the deep moan when he understood.

It wasn’t her.

He pushed the girl, grabbing her by her shoulders and looking her in the eyes he asked in an ominous tone

 

 

“Who was with you before?!”

 

 

 

 

***************************************************************************************************************

 

EDIT: lovely THEPetty helped me with the beta reading so ......THAAANKS^^

 

Hello!! I hope you enjoyed this chapter, I'm looking for some kind soul to beta-read this story cause I'm sure you noticed, my English is not the best, and I really want to improve the writing. If you know someone that could help me, please tell me so I can beg them help ^^

Comments are free and really appreciated ^^ !!! I'm curious about the way the story is going, is like the two versions of the same scene, kind of...Is that ok for you? Is it noticeable...or way too obvious? Please help me a little...is my first fic, so I need to learn somehow^^

Thanks!!!!