Chapter 1

Sweet Lies (set my heart on fire)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“Daddy’s back again and do I even need to mention he hasn’t stopped looking at you since he came in?”

 

Seulgi’s comment is unnecessary. He knows the other is staring because his hottie radar is even more attuned then his friend’s, especially when it comes down to men in suits.

 

This particular man though, Jongin has long since noticed from the very first time he stepped into their quaint cafe some days back. They haven’t managed to get his name because he always doesn’t order take-away coffee, preferring to stay for long hours at times. Hence why he remains to them... daddy.

 

Just because he looks the definition of rich and y.

 

Jongin’s cheeks start to tint red as his mind wanders. He then ducks even lower behind the counter and shuffles away from his fellow barista, hell-bent on ignoring the teasing look that has settled on Seulgi’s face. It’s always the same look she gives him when daddy pops by.

 

Venti iced skinny hazelnut macchiato, sugar-free syrup, extra shot, light ice, no whip. “Venti iced skinny hazelnut macchiato, sugar-free syrup—” Jongin repeats the order under his breath and scribbles on a cup with a sharpie.

 

Wait, sugar-free syrup?

 

He pauses and considers going back to confirm the order with the lady waiting for the take-away by the till, but Seulgi steps in to save him the trouble.

 

“Sugar-free syrup, yes. With an extra shot, light ice and no whip,” she says. “Want me to help you with that?”

 

It’s past the lunch rush hour where they are kept so busy they have little room to breathe; the cafe’s business is slowly winding down for the day, before the crowd after dinner comes beckoning that is. He still can’t understand why there are people who have caffeine at night, or why there are people who can even stomach coffee at all.

 

It’s a foul drink, he reckons. Jongin much prefers tea. How very british of him. Perhaps the months living here in London have finally gotten to him.

 

“No worries. I can handle it,” he declines Seulgi’s help.

 

It’s one of the most complicated, over-the-top, order he has ever gotten, even in his many years of experience part-timing while he was still a student in Seoul. But it’s not an impossible task by his standards. Jongin just has to stay focused and not let that poster boy for sugar daddy distract him.

 

Just as his mind wanders to the other, he looks up and locks eyes with daddy sitting in the nearest booth. His stare is intense and it burns as bright as the sun. Jongin yelps and averts his gaze at once, but he fumbles with the hazelnut syrup pump as a result and the bottle ends up falling into the sink with a loud thunk.

 

His cheeks are on fire at this point and he swears he heard a low chuckle, but he dares not look up again.

 

“Let me have it,” Seulgi sniggers and swipes the cup from his hand. “Why don’t you embarrass yourself further by going over there to take daddy’s order?”

 

A look of horror crosses Jongin’s face before he tugs Seulgi down and they are both crouching behind the counter.

 

“I can’t do that!” He hisses at his best friend. His native tongue comes out naturally at times like this.

 

“Why not? He doesn’t look like he’s short of time, which means he’s likely staying for afternoon tea. He always stays. Go ask him what he wants, besides your number that is.”

 

“B-But… why don’t you go serve him instead? I’m busy,” he whisper-yells and attempts to take back the cup Seulgi is holding, but she deftly shifts it out of his reach. “Seulgi…” he whines and puts on his best pout.

 

The other isn’t even affected by the pity party he’s holding in the least; she’s too used to it.

 

“Look. He’s obviously here for you, okay Jongin?”

 

Seulgi rolls her eyes when Jongin stubbornly mutters “you don’t know that” under his breath. It’s clear as day Jongin finds the stranger attractive, but his shy personality holds him back from daring to get to know the other more.

 

“Just ask him if he fancies a cup of jasmine and maybe a slice of cake to go with.”

 

His pout grows deeper if possible. “You think he wants to try the lemon drizzle? They just came out from the oven,” Jongin asks, already resigned to the fate of facing his crush.

 

“I don’t know.” Seulgi taps on her chin with a finger. “Maybe he will prefer something sweeter since he’s made out of sugar?” A sly smirk settles on her face. “Get it?” She wriggles her eyebrows. “Sugar daddy, get it?” She breaks out into a laugh.

 

Unamused, Jongin stares at Seulgi in all seriousness until she collects herself and apologises.

 

“Well, thank you for your kind offer.” They freeze at the new voice. Deep and warm like hot chocolate on a cold winter’s day. It’s the only way to describe it. But nothing quite compares to that smile on his face when Jongin and Seulgi turn their heads in perfect synchronicity, in the direction of the man looking over the counter; looking at them slacking off and having a secret conversation while squatting.

 

So hot. Jongin gulps when daddy slides the gold wire rim glasses down a little on the bridge of his nose and tilts his head slightly. The move exposes his neck and oh boy… now Jongin wants to damnit.

 

“The thought of a cup of jasmine and cake sounds lovely,” he says in a posh british accent, although with a slight hint of something else that betrays his roots. His face tells he’s Asian too. “But I must say having your company will sweeten up my afternoon even more.” He smirks.

 

Jongin and Seulgi’s mouths fall open.

 

“Join me, Jongin?” He continues on to say as his smirk softens into a gentle smile.

 

But Jongin remains effectively a statue.

 

The second daddy walks away, Seulgi turns to Jongin and slaps him on the arm. “Oh my days! Oh my days! I told you he’s been coming here for you… What is going on here? Oh my days!” She shakes him excitedly, but the latter hardly shares her enthusiasm.

 

Jongin can only whine and bury his face in his hands.

 

“He heard us call him daddy. That’s so embarrassing!” he mumbles into his palms. It’s over before it even began. Not that Jongin was expecting anything to begin. Nope.

 

How is he to face him now?

 

Seulgi has to practically pull his hands away from his face.

 

"I don't care if it's embarrassing. Don't keep daddy waiting," she wriggles her eyebrows and shoves him, almost sending Jongin sprawling backwards on his bum if not for him shooting out his hands to grab at the cabinets beside him, righting himself. "I'll handle the lady's drink, while you go serve daddy."

 

Jongin shoots her a dirty look. The double meaning behind her words is not lost on him.

 

Seulgi stands and walks away, busying herself at once. He can only sigh and come out of hiding after giving himself a mental pep talk.

 

It's alright. I'll just go over with the tea and cake he ordered and excuse myself.

 

Why daddy asked for his company… the logic behind it evades him.

 

The second he looks up after carefully taking out a slice of lemon drizzle cake from the oven, Jongin sees daddy's heavy stare still on him and the cake balanced on his server falls and lands (thankfully) on the porcelain plate he had good vision to set on the counter beforehand.

 

He flusters and does his best to salvage whatever possible. There's that low chuckle again, and Jongin wants to melt into a puddle of goo. A highly embarrassed puddle of goo. The slice still looks decent enough so he leaves it be to work on a cup of tea.

 

That's it. No more eye contact. Jongin can't handle eye contact with daddy. That much he knows.

 

After pouring out a cup of jasmine, he ducks under the counter and out of sight again to draw in a deep breath before standing and picking up the tea in one hand, the cake in another. Seulgi gives his an encouraging tap when he passes her and he almost drops everything again.

 

Jongin knows he's still staring. He can feel the heaviness of his stare as he approaches daddy'

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter