006

Fate Had Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

6

 

 

 

 

“I’ll take her.” 

 

How did it turn out like this? 

 

Well let’s rewind back to the last place we left off. That would be…

 

Whatever the case, Ying Jie prayed that it was the sound of the music that made her jump. Ya Lun and her returned to the table to rejoin the others in celebration She lost count of how many cups have been poured, how many pots have been refilled and the number of performances. It sounds like a party every time, she eyes the pot and realized it was almost empty. Ying Jie decides to take this moment to excuse her from the table as she takes the pot with her, she takes a step back and CRASH! She turns to see one of the girls apologize deeply, bowing apologetically as she does while the madam of the house came rushing in.

“I am so sorry gentlemen, this lady is new so she is just getting use to our rules.”

Ying Jie turns her eyes to see the girl she wanted to save earlier. She was cleaned and dressed in fresh clothes. Although she is not serving any lords, she is bring food to tables. Does this mean she accepted to working here? She sensed someone beside her, she looks at whoever it was and came to see Ya Lun.“Don’t make a scene.”

“How can I?” Ya Lun looks at the girl and says nothing. 

“It’s not a problem madam.” The men boosted as they turned their back around and continued eating and drinking. The madam graciously thanked the gentlemen for their kindness as she excused herself, pulling the girl out of the room with a sour look. 

“Ever since we were little, she always had an eye for the unfortunate.” Chun smiles. Dong Cheng laughs, reminiscing their time together. “Sounds like someone we know.” He nudged Ya Lun and drinks to that.

“You got to keep an eye out for her.” Dong Cheng whispers as Ya Lun turns around to find Ying Jie no where in sight. DAMN! He refrained from using such vocabulary but she is bringing out the worst in him these days. He excused himself from the table as he made his way around the floors. As he zipped through crowds, he remained poised and unalarmed while maintaining composure. He knew he was going to meet a few acquaintances along the way but none that would keep him prisoner for long.

“This is my business and I have the right to do what I please.” Ying Jie ignored her and looks at the girl instead. She is on her knees, begging for forgiveness from the madam. “Did you say you want to be here?”

“What right does she have to answer you?”

“Did she or did she not say she wanted to be here?”

The madam reached her cane up in the air, getting ready to smack her new worker when Ya Lun stepped in. The cane came down and the madam bowed to the young lord. “My lord, is this friend of yours?”

He glared at Ying Jie before looking at the Madam. “Yes, he is.”

“I was looking all over for you~!” They lift their eyes to see Xue Fu walking over to them. She was dressed in her dancing robes, Ying Jie gazed at the beautiful patterns on her dress and eyes the beauty of how the fabric flows.

“This lady helped me mend this earlier, I would have refused to dance tonight if it wasn’t for her. Madam, I was wondering if I can have her. She will be a great help if she were to mend our clothes during each performance. We are running low on staff that can help us.”

The surprise on the Madam’s face says it all. “But this girl is new, she doesn’t—”

“Let us handle her.” Xue Fu smiles at the poor girl on the floor. “We need you right now.” In the girl’s eyes, it almost seems like a mirage of an angel. Two of the dancers came over and escorted the lady. Xue Fu excused herself as well before seeing Ying Jie mouth her ‘thank you’ over to her.

Ya Lun smiles as he begin to make his exit but Ying Jie didn’t come with him. He turn his attention behind him into see the Madam blocking her from leaving.

“This costed me a worker, I need someone to step in.”

“Madam, I am sure you have many ladies who would step in.”

“Do you think you can fool me?” She reached up to pointed to the bun on her head. “I know a lady when I see one.”

“You must be a lady with status and rules forbids you to enter unless you work for me.” She steps closer to Ying Jie. “I am prepared to forgive you for breaking my rule if you help serve me tonight, I will wave you and that girl off.” Ya Lun was about to reject when he heard her agree to her ridiculous demand. 

“WHAT? ARE YOU CRAZY?!” He hissed over to Ying Jie but the madam was a quick one.

“GREAT.” She snapped her fingers and two ladies came over to her. 

“Don’t worry my lord, she will stay hidden. No one will know of her existence, I promise you.”

Ya Lun knew this girl was reckless but it never occurred to him how brazen she was. How was he going to respond when someone recognizes her? How is he going to explain if anyone finds out? The one question that plagues him was how is he going to protect her? He looks at her, telepathically asking her to rethink her actions but he was no fool. He could tell. She has already made up her mind. “She didn't want to be here in the first place. If I can pardon that girl, I will do this.”

“GREAT!” The Madam signalled her helpers to Ying Jie away. She is now left with the Ya Lun who did not look happy. “If anything happens to her, I will hold you accountable.”

“No one will find out my lord.”

 

A performance has gone past and the doors flew open, silk robes draped over Ying Jie’s body, wrapping her with cloth that smelled like peonies as she stares at choice she made. The madam put an airy pink chiffon mask on her before the ladies excused themselves from the room. She gave her a quick tip of how to place and pick up silverware from the tables she will be serving before they open the door to see an unhappy Ya Lun waiting.

Upon seeing him, she stood still once again. She asks herself repeatedly if she wanted to do this but the answer that lies in the end will always tell her: yes. 

Ya Lun looks at the crowd around him, during the time she was changing, the madam had instructed every lady in the house to wear ma

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter