003

Fate Had Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

3

 

 

 

 

“When I was younger, I loved walking the streets but now as the years pass me by, I yearn for the beauty in the simplest things.” Ying Jie sits with Grandmother Yan on a bench by the pagoda as they gaze at the pond. The lilies were in full bloom, the sun was beginning to hike higher in the clear blue sky, clouds floated effortlessly above everyone as the the water lay still.

“I remember I tried every possible solution I could to stop my own wedding from happening. I tried to fake an illness, I hopped out of my window to escape, I even tried to put my sister in place but… well, I guess you can say it didn’t work out.” Grandma Yan laughs, re-envisioning herself as a teenager. 

“I was terrible. I can’t remember when it was or what happened, I had a change of heart. After I met him, he gave me everything he can but I did not love him because of his generosity. I saw how much effort he took to make comfortable, everything was happening so fast, I needed to grow and he remained patient and very understanding. Ya Lun may seem like he’s got everything under control but there are some things he does not understand yet. He excels above others in his scholarly studies but matters pertaining the heart will be the thing he loses composure to. He doesn’t say it but I can see how nervous he is about—” 

“My greeting to Grandmother Yan.” They both look over to see Wu Ke Qun standing before them. Ying Jie instantly smiles as Grandmother nods with a big smile.

“I knew you went home three days after the wedding to visit your parents. I also know that there are some things you will like to talk about to your siblings rather in the ears of your parents. So I am going to head back now, do not stay out too long okay?”

“Thank you Grandmother Yan!” Ying Jie smiles happily as she helps her up from the bench. “Be careful going home.”

“Grandmother Yan.” She holds onto her hand and smiles. “Before my brother came, you were about to say something.”

She could see that Ying Jie is truly making an effort to getting to know Ya Lun. Even though the two youngsters have yet to make the connection between them, Grandmother Yan caresses her hands as she looks at her. “It’s you. And thats why I am going to help you guys out, don't worry, leave everything to me!” She smiles as she saids it, bidding them farewell as she walks back with her ladies.

Her? She thought to herself for a moment before turning around and leaped into the arms of her brother.

 

“GE!”

“MEI!”

They both shouted out as Ke Qun smiles, walking over to the island pavilion with his sister. It has been a long time since they have been out and about. 

“How has it been? Are you adjusting to life as a wife?”

“More or less.” Ke Qun squeezes her cheeks and laughs. “Cheerful and bubbly, my lovely Mei Mei, I have something that will cheer you up.”

When they reached the pavilion, Ying Jie smiles at the pipa as his brother took out his flute. She eyes him carefully as she walks slowly over to it, running her fingers on the strings briefly before she took a seat in front of it. 

Her mother urged her to take up embroidery but between the laces, fabrics and stitching, she found herself yearning to learn and understand the views written in books. The more she sneaked in a book or two, reviewing scholars perspectives with her brothers became one of her moments she came to love. One night while everyone was eating their dinner, the men were discussing their curiosity at the table when Ying Jie poked at the subject lightly. It was at this moment when her cover was blown, her father knew she has been sneaking a peek in the books but neither his wife nor he; had plan to stop her. Behind closed doors, they allowed Ying Jie to discuss and listen. It was their mother who decided to bring them closer together with music. They could learn and play without shielding themselves from the public, it worked out well because they learned how to speak through songs.

Ke Qun watches the assistants bring the chiffon drapes down, they concealed themselves from the eyes of the public. The refreshing breeze from the wind lifted the drapes lightly, providing them a moment of peace. He waited for his sister before they begin playing, she was collecting herself before making eye contact with him. They both smile to one another as he blew into his flute, he flew through his first set of notes before the pipa joins in, harmonizing with his. 

It was a gorgeous sunny day. The sound of the flute and pipa made people stop to listen. 

 

 

 

The tip of Chun’s ears twitched when he recognized a familiar sound fly past him. They were on their way to the teahouse when he heard it. He stops in his tracks and smiles happily.

“My sincerest apologies, I am just reminded that I have to do something in the gardens. If you’ll excuse me.”

Chun got up and manages to wiggle away from the group as Ri Yu got up as well, bidding a quick farewell as he rushes after Chun. Dong Cheng cleared his throat and smiles, quietly excusing himself as well while Ya Lun and Xue Fu exchanged glances to one another.

They were all alone now… it has been a long time since they were left alone.

Xue Fu could feel her stomach butterflies flutter around anxiously as she glances at him and smiles. At least they won’t have to speak to each other in formalities.

“Ya Lun, how about ordering the—” She takes her breathe away when her ears perked up to the chatters a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter