My Beginnings

ENSCONCE

My name is Kei Ueno and I want to tell you my story.

It all started...

Twenty years ago, a Japanese exchange student named Naoki Ueno came to New York for college. There, he fell hopelessly in love with, Ava Park, a Korean-American girl attending the same school. Anyone could see it, they were both head over heels, crazy for one another. A couple years later they were happily married and then came along…me!

 

My father named me Kei, it means blessed or lucky in Japanese. He wanted me to be blessed by the Gods, so I can grow up happy, healthy, and loved. I was happy, very happy and loved when he was around.

I was five when my world shattered on September 11th. He worked in a small building next to the Twin Towers, when they collapsed he was still inside. That day…is still a blur to me.

Maybe since the Gods knew he wasn’t here anymore, his wishes were meaningless; so, they rescinded his blessing.

 

Shortly after I turned six, I was diagnosed with Cancer (leukemia to be specific).

We did the whole ten miles, the radiation, chemotherapy, and even bone marrow transplant.

My mother was young then, she was a beautiful twenty eight year old. She had rich chestnut brown waves that touched her collarbone. She had sparkling almond colored eyes and a gentle warm smile to match. I wanted to grow up and be just like her.

The treatments worked. For many years, I was cancer free.

 

Right up until…now.

 

“Mom? Is that you?”

“what is it Kei?”

My mother stumbled through the front door, slipping off her sneakers from a long day of work. Her fatigue was evident in her quivering voice. Her eyes could not focus, so she stared blankly ahead. I spotted the grey hairs laying on the tip of her head.

I shoved the hospital letter into my back pocket “Nothing, I made dinner tonight. Come eat it while it’s hot”

“I’m fine, I’m just going to go straight to bed”

I watched her pass me, the bottom of her feet thumped heavily against the wooden floors

My mother has lost the twinkle in her eyes long ago. Have I as well?

 

Right now, more than ever. I wish that my Mother would never know that I am sick again.