Fourth Week Failure

The Case of Selfishness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Fourth Week Failure

Kyungsoo had come to terms that Death Unit 143 was made up of a bunch of strange people (even including himself, though he would not admit that out loud). On Tuesday much like Chanyeol predicted, Kyungsoo was given the address of a jazz cafe where he was to meet 143's beta team's Assessor, Yixing. The cafe had a live band playing in the back where most of the tables were arranged, but the Assessor was not seated in any of those seats when Kyungsoo arrived just after ten. Yixing who Kyungsoo was able to identify because when he contacted the guy was sent back a picture so he didn't waste time looking for him, was seated at the front of the shop staring out the navy tinted window at the bustling city outside, while tapping his fingers against the top of the table to the smooth beat of the music playing.

Kyungsoo sat in the chair across from the older Assessor, but his presence seemed to have gone unnoticed. Kyungsoo shifted awkwardly in his seat as he cleared his throat hoping to gain the guy's attention. Yixing's gaze turned to Kyungsoo at the noise and as the young man opened his mouth to greet his fellow unit member Yixing looked away as he leaned back in his seat like he was already done with this meeting. Kyungsoo closed his mouth waiting for Yixing to speak first.

It wasn't until the band started a third song since Kyungsoo's arrival that the Yixing faced him properly and addressed him, but it was not what Kyungsoo had been expecting.

“You got Luhan's failed case didn't you.” It wasn't a question, it was a stated fact said in the most conversational way that Kyungsoo was momentarily confused if they were actually talking about food or not.

Snapping out of his bemusement Kyungsoo folded his hands in his lap and steeled his expression. “How do you know that?” he inquired.

“Cases don't leave the unit they're given to, and in these circumstances the Council definitely would not have passed it onto anyone close to the failed Assessor, so the logical answer would be to give it to the new guy,” Yixing explained casually.

“Do you know anything about the case?” Kyungsoo asked out of mere curiosity.

The man across from him nodded curtly. “Luhan was my closest friend. We went to the academy together and joined 143 at the same time. I was the one he confided in when he realized he fell for a destined soul.”

Kyungsoo's brows furrowed in confusion as he saw the sincere expression on Yixing's face. “Love? Doesn't Luhan have – had a sister? In the academy?”

Now Yixing looked lost. “A sister? No,” he shook his head. “Luhan was very much an only child, like most of us. Who said he had a sister?”

“Luhan himself to the soul in question. She said he was reminded of his sister by her,” he answered slowly.

Yixing tilted his head to the side as he stared Kyungsoo down for a long minute, making the younger Assessor feel like he was back at the academy getting his work scrutinized by his superiors. He tightened his folded hands as he patiently waited for a reply.

“Luhan really did tell her everything. Did he give her the Eye of Graeae?” he asked quickly. A sudden urgency to his tone that Kyungsoo didn't understand.

“Eye of Graeae? That curse they mention in training, is that even real?”

Yixing rolled his eyes. “That's what I'm asking you,” he groaned.

“She can see death bringers even when shrouded. She said Luhan did something to her to make it happen, so she could avoid death,” he answered, though skeptically. Was her gray eye really because of the Graeae curse? Why would Luhan do that to her? Especially if he was really in love with her and not because Hyeyeong reminded him of a sister that didn't exist? What was this mess?

The other Assessor groaned again as he slumped in his seat, hands dragging down his face muffling the noise leaving him. With his hands falling into his lap he muttered, “It's real. I can't believe it's real.”

Kyungsoo was stuck in shock for a very long time. The curse of Graeae was not a good thing, hence being called a curse. Sure it gave a human the gift of sight of the Dark Realm, but it also gave the wielder the ability to see the fate of others. Since the curse had been reduced to mere legend no one quite knew how the fate-sight worked, but it was known that it was too much for a human to handle, driving the being crazy and to an early grave. Why would Luhan do that to Hyeyeong? It seemed far too cruel and selfish to do that to her and leave her on her own. Kyungsoo was finding it harder and harder to respect his predecessor with each new thing he learned about the guy. He wasn't worth the care and loyalty Hyeyeong showed him in the aftermath of his death.

“Hey,” Yixing said calmly breaking Kyungsoo out of his heated reverie. With his gaze focused back on Yixing the older man continued speaking. “Do you know that falling in love with a human is not against our laws?” he asked like a professor challenging his class.

“Is it not?” Kyungsoo replied baffled.

He shook his head before his gaze drifted over to the band that was now taking a break. Kyungsoo followed the guy's gaze over to where the bassist was sipping at a cup of tea at the counter by the stage. Her hair was a vibrant purple that was neatly weaved into two braids on either side of her head. Her jean skirt a respectable length despite the current fashion, and her shirt was that of Michael Jackson, the front loosely tucked into the skirt. She was definitely eye catching, yet at the same time she seemed awfully reserved from the way she separated herself from the band to drink her tea.

Turning back to Yixing Kyungsoo arched a brow waiting for the man to go on, not fully understanding why he brought the topic up.

“As long as we don't interfere with their death then we're free to feel however we want about them. Luhan knew that, but he just couldn't keep his control and I can't exactly blame him. If someone hurt her I probably wouldn't be able to control myself either,” he explained as he tore his gaze away from the bassist.

“Ah,” Kyungsoo sighed finally putting the pieces together. “How long have you –,” his question trailed off when he realized he wasn't sure how to ask it.

“This is her third reincarnation since I first met her. The great thing about being an Assessor is that every soul you put through for reincarnation comes back to you when it's time for their end again. Yes it may be selfish to always reincarnate her, but it's not like she doesn't deserve it. I judge her just like all the others but of course it is a bias judgment.” There was a small smile on Yixing's face as he spoke. His gaze briefly flickering back to the bassist while he spoke so fondly of her. Kyungsoo dared another glance over his shoulder to see the girl flushed with her head ove

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter