First Day on the Job

The Case of Selfishness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

First Day on the Job

Soul preparation teams (S.P.Ts for short) are the subgroups in Death Units that were just Assessors and Grims with Reapers running the whole DU.

Kyungsoo already knew this work was not an office job, but that didn't stop him from being surprised by the location of his first meeting with his new team. He was even more surprised to see his unit leader there with his team leader who was suppose to be giving him his first assignment.

That morning he received a message telling him to meet at a pizza parlor, which was where they were at now, and it definitely did not feel like a place to discuss the end of someone. It was bright and cheery inside the shop with the delicious smell of garlic bread and pepperoni baking. Kyungsoo stopped behind the only empty chair at the table, the other two men rising to greet him with professional smiles and offered hands to shake.

Kyungsoo shook the hand of the man with solid black eyes first, knowing that he was the Reaper in charge of Unit 143, the eyes an obvious sign. “Kyungsoo, nice to meet you. I'm Suho and this is Chanyeol,” he politely introduced.

“Hello sir,” Kyungsoo replied. He released Suho's hand to grab Chanyeol's to greet him too. Chanyeol had a friendly smile on his face as they shook hands, more so than Kyungsoo expected from a man in this line of work.

“Sit, we'll give you the rundown,” Suho said with a gesture to the seat in front of Kyungsoo.

They all sat down as a young girl dropped off a basket of mozzarella sticks to the table with three glasses of water and a sweet smile towards Chanyeol who returned it. Once she was gone Suho shifted forward forearms against the table and hands folded together in a businesslike manner. It was clear that Suho had himself shrouded, a sort of glamour, to hide his eyes and the intricate white runes about his neck and arms that were already hard to see with his pale skin tone, because the waitress didn't react to his inhuman appearance.

“No offense sir,” Kyungsoo spoke up first. “But why are you here. Isn't it strange to have a Reaper at an assignment drop off?” he inquired truly baffled. Reapers were the busiest member of a DU managing three to five teams at a time and also ushering souls to their destination, so why was Suho making time to see Kyungsoo in his swamped schedule?

Suho and Chanyeol chuckled at the new guy. Chanyeol picking up a still steaming mozzarella stick as he exchanged a knowing look with Suho who shifted into a more relaxed position in his chair. Kyungsoo waited patiently for a response while his left hand absently tapped against his knee under the table. Was he missing something obvious? He shouldn't have been, because his job was all about noticing the details and if he was failing already he didn't stand a chance as an Assessor.

Turning back to Kyungsoo Suho said, “No you're right it's weird. The only reason I'm here is to welcome you to the unit. I find it rude to put someone to work without personally meeting them at least once.”

“But you hand picked me,” Kyungsoo commented.

Suho bobbed his head in agreement. “That I did, but I still want to meet the man joining my unit. 143 is like a family to me and I'm here to make sure you can adhere to that system. I refuse to lose another member of my family.” His tone growing firm and solemn as he reached the end.

Kyungsoo's hand stopped tapping at the blatant mention of the reason he had a job with the number one unit in the Dark Realm. Speaking of the recently executed Assessor had almost become taboo in the Dark Realm, people didn't want to jinx themselves with the shame he had brought upon himself in the line of duty. It went against all their rules and morals, it was the lowest thing a death bringer could do and Luhan had proudly come forth to the Council of Hades that he had done just that. A week later he was dead.

“I take my job very seriously, sir. I would gladly follow your system if you give me the chance,” Kyungsoo replied sincerely.

Suho was quickly surveying the man's response, while Chanyeol munched away on the stringy cheese sticks with an amused gleam in his eyes. The Grim was unusually merry, very different from the ones Kyungsoo had known in the academy. He was in for an interesting experience with Chanyeol as his S.P.T partner.

“Chanyeol?” Suho asked curiously.

Lowering his fourth half eaten stick the brilliant red haired guy smirked. “I like him. He's gonna be fun to tease,” Chanyeol answered.

Kyungsoo's brows knitted together in bemusement.

Suho snorted a laugh as he unclasped his hands and leaned back in his chair running his hands down his face. “You're such an idiot,” he chuckled to the man on his right. Chanyeol stuck his tongue out like a child at his boss before returning to his food. Dropping his hands to his lap Suho turned his pure black eyes on Kyungsoo a kind smile on his face as he released a contented sigh. “Welcome to Unit 143's S.P.T alpha team. Good luck with this goof as your Grim, he's a giant child.”

Shaking his head with a light chortle Suho stood from the table, Kyungsoo copying him while Chanyeol remained seated still eating. “Kyungsoo,” he stuck out his hand in greeting, the new guy took it and they shook again. “Welcome again and good luck.”

“Thank you sir.”

“And stop calling me sir, Suho is fine or Boss. That's what some of the others call me. Sir just makes me sound like one of those stiffs on the Council.” Stepping away from his chair he patted Kyungsoo on his shoulder with a steady hand.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter