one

Slice of Life

 

You and the others were setting the Cafe up for the day when Jihwan burst in, late.

 

“Good morning!” He said happily, rushing to the back room to change into uniform. On his way back out, he tripped over nothing, landing on the floor with a thump. He stood back up as if nothing happened. Your boss, Suhoon, rolled his eyes and said, “you're late again.”

 

“I'm sorry!” Jihwan apologized frantically and Suhoon shook his head, smacking his forehead.

 

“Don't do it again. This is the third time,”

 

“I won't, sir!” He responded. Immediately, he began morning cleaning as Injun and Hyuncheol put their previously prepared food items in the display cases. You chuckled at the scene before you as Hyunmin wrote the day's specials on the blackboard.

 

You followed after Jihwan, taking chairs off the tables and placing them on the floor, and he came back around to clean the table tops. You had already cleaned the windows that morning, so he wouldn't have to. He thanked you and you nodded.

 

“Just don't be late again,” You laughed. He blushed sheepishly before returning to his hyper self. He turned his attention to the sign and flipped it so that OPEN faced the outside. The few regulars who had been waiting outside trickled in and formed a line in front of Suhoon, who was manning the cash register.

 

The first ordered his coffee and a crepe and you watched as Hyunmin and Injun began working. Hyunmin finished the coffee and put it on a tray just as the second person in line finished ordering and Injun was warming up the first customer's crepe. Hyuncheol began on the second customer's order as Hyunmin took the crepe from Injun and put it on the tray, handing it to you. He got started on the second coffee as you brought the food to the man.

 

So, it went on like that. Slowly, at first, but after half-hour or so, more and more people walked in for their necessary wake-up call. Jihwan cheerfully greeted people who walked in and eventually was needed. Hyunmin and Suhoon switched off cash register management and barista duties until it quieted down, a little around 2:00. You and Hyunmin were on break first, you sat and talked and watched the others work as you ate lunch. He joked and you laughed, like usual. You asked about each others' weekends. It was kind of a routine, but it wasn't really a boring or lazy routine. It was comfortable, rather than mundane. It gave you a warm feeling.

 

Your break ended and then it was time for Jihwan and Hyuncheol to take a break. Since there wasn't much going on, you all felt it was still a break, and continued to joke and goof around, to the amusement of the customers that WERE there. The regulars that came at this time were thought of as part of the family, as they would join in with the occasional banter and laugh along. There was a girl that you got along with very well, so well that you both considered each other very good friends and would hang out on weekends sometimes.

 

After Jihwan and Hyuncheol stood back up to get to work, Suhoon and Injun took their seats at the table that you had designated as “Break Table” as the silliness continued. The two of them went back to work after their break time was up and the afternoon regulars soon changed to the evening regulars.

 

Since no one really wanted coffee at night, usually, the six of you closed up shop around 5:30 every evening, all of you saying your good-byes to each other. Hyunmin and you had been neighbors since you were young, and the two of you still lived close together, so he stuck with you. As you walked, you stretched your arms obnoxiously and he laughed.

 

“Jihwan didn't trip so much today, just in the morning,” You commented. He nodded.

 

“Hard to believe, but I think he's getting better,” Hyunmin joked.

 

“Don't say that, you'll jinx him!” You gasped, playfully swatting at his arm.

 

You both continued talking until reaching your apartment. You said your good nights to each other and parted ways. Once you were inside, you took your shoes off and walked to your fridge, intent on making some dinner. Once finished, you sat in front of the TV in time for your favorite show and ate while you watched it. You finished by the time the episode ended and another show started and you stood up to wash your dishes and put them away. You sat back on the couch to watch a few more shows before showering and getting ready for bed. You weren't ACTUALLY going to sleep yet, but your pajamas were just too comfortable to ignore.

 

No, first, you were going to call your mom and chat with her. After about an hour of talking to her, she handed the phone to your dad, and then after that you all said good night. You yawned, already sleepy. You figured you could watch a little more tv and then head to bed.

 

Once you really did go to your room, you were very tired. Not tired enough that when you woke up you wouldn't have energy, but just so tired as to prompt you to go to sleep.  

 

~~~

 

la la la setting the scene

 

omfg jay tho is he cute or what god i just want to pinch his cheeks forever ;-;