The Stares

A Place Where I Belong

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WARNING: CONTAINS MATURE LANGUAGES, KAISOO/KADI SHIP AND GIRL KYUNGSOO (MENTIONS OF GIRL JONGDAE, GIRL CHANYEOL, GIRL YIXING AND GIRL BAEKHYUN). IF SUCH MATERIALS OFFENDS YOU, PLEASE DO NOT READ THE STORY. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

The time was seven o’clock in the morning, and Kyungsoo was already dressed and ready to go to school. She’s at the dinner table, already done with breakfast and currently going through her notes, while her mom fishtail her hair.

 

She felt her cellphone vibrates, and it’s Sehun, telling her that they are already outside waiting for her.  

 

She grabbed her jacket and her dad walked with her outside.

 

“Boys, remember, take care of my little princess” said Mr. Do. And he proceeds to inspect the companion seats that was newly installed on Jongin’s, Tao’s and Sehun’s bikes.

 

“Of course, uncle.” Sehun said.

 

“Be safe OK, and keep my little baby safe.” Mr. Do told them.

 

“We will, uncle, don’t worry” Jongin said.

 

“Bye sweetie, have a good first day.” Said Mr. Do.

 

“I’ll try dad.” Kyungsoo said as she tiptoed to kiss her dad on the cheek before he went back inside the house.

 

“So, which one is my ride?” Kyungsoo asked the three boys.

 

“Go ride with Jongin.” Sehun answered which made Tao giggle.

 

Sehun took Jongin’s bag and Tao took Kyungsoo’s, so she can hold onto Jongin properly, and still be able to prevent her skirt from flying.

 

Kyungsoo was sitting side saddle and had an arm around Jongin’s waist, while the other hand is holding on to her skirt. She was listening to the notes she had recorded on her phone and was staring at her lap so she didn’t see the students that was staring at them while they pass them by.

 

The boys are trying to secure their bikes on the parking racks, while Kyungsoo was standing on the side waiting for them, looking around when she felt eyes on her, she looked up and sure enough, all students, boys and girls, are staring at her, well, the girls are more like glaring at her, except for the girl who was parking her bike along side the boys.

 

While all the other students are fawning and greeting the three boys good morning, and giving her the evil eye, the said girl did not. As soon as her bike was chained up, she quickly turned and walk towards the building.

 

Sehun hold Kyungsoo by the elbow and guided her to her locker, and the girl from earlier has her locker next to her’s.  Their eyes met for a couple of second, the girl nodded and went on her way.  This intrigue Kyungsoo, why is the girl not reacting as the rest does.

 

She asked the boys about the reason why students are staring at her, they all shrugged and said it is because she’s new.

 

By some weird coincidence, She and the curious girl, which she later found out that her name is Baekhyun, had the same classes together, along with Jongin, Sehun and Tao. And again, all her classmates are either staring or glaring at her, but not Baekhyun.

 

Lunch break came and Kyungsoo was sitting on a table that Sehun told her to wait on while the three boys get their lunches,  when they she heard a metal tray fall followed by laughters and name calling.  She saw Baekhyun being picked on by some students, and one of them even knocked down her tray of food. The bullies are calling her out for liking girls, calling her names.

 

She watched how the other students kept on making fun of Baekhyun, while the other was trying to pick up the mess as much as she can.  She looked up at the line where the three boys are waiting and caught Jongin’s eyes. She turned and look towards Baekhyun and then back to Jongin, who nodded, hoping the boy got her silent message, she stood up and walk towards Baekhyun and started to help her clean up.

 

Baekhyun looked up to see who was helping her. She was surprised to see it as the new kid.

 

“You don’t want to be seen with me.” Baekhyun warned Kyungsoo.

 

“Why?” Kyungsoo asked.

 

“They will pick on you too.” Baekhyun said.

 

Kyungsoo shrugged “it wont bother me.” She began “why don’t you sit with us, we can share lunch.” Kyungsoo offered.

 

“I don’t think thats a good idea.” Baekhyun hesitated, looking at the group of students who are frowning at them.

 

“You don’t want to be near her, you will catch her homo germs.” One of them said.

 

“She’ll make a move on you.” Said the other one, the rest agrees with a snicker.

 

“Is there a problem here?” Sehun said with a serious face and a menacing tone, with Tao right behind his heels.

 

“Nothing.” The bullies retreat, but not before glaring at the girls one last time.

 

“I told you to wait at the table, didn’t I?” Sehun scolds Kyungsoo, he nodded to Baekhyun then lead them back to the table.

 

“Yes, you did, but they were being mean to her.” Kyungsoo answered as she sit beside Jongin and pulled Baekhyun beside her.

 

“You and your bleeding heart will get you into trouble, and then I’ll be blamed for not looking after you or worst get tased again.” Sehun said.

 

“You know she doesn’t like bullies, we should have done something even before she stepped forward.” Jongin said while pushing a tray towards Kyungsoo, who placed it between her and the other girl “You’re Baekhyun right?”

 

“Ah, yes, I am.” Baekhyun nodded.

 

“Why are they bothering you again?” Tao asked in a hushed voice.

 

“I’m gay.” Baekhyun answered bluntly.

 

“Ah” Sehun exclaimed “so how do you do it? With your hand, your mouth or do you use toys?” Sehun inquired.

 

Kyungsoo leaped up, and lunged forward to whack Sehun, who was sitting in front of her, in the head with the flat of her palm.

 

The cafeteria suddenly gone quiet.

 

“SHUT UP! Apologize, its rude to ask something so personal and inappropriate, to somebody you just met.” Kyungsoo chastised Sehun

 

Kyungsoo turned towards Baekhyun “I am so sorry about that, you don’t have to answer anything this doofus asks.” Then turned towards Sehun again to hiss a “apologize NOW.”

 

When Sehun apologizes there was a collective gasp around the cafeteria.

 

Kyungsoo looked around, and sure enough, everybody was looking at their table.

 

Then she saw Jinri, by the entrance of the cafeteria, her beautiful face marred with a frown and walking straight towards their table, behind her, her two minions.

 

“Why are they sitting here? I thought this is “a no girls allowed” table” Jinri demanded.

 

“She’s a family friend, and she just transferred here.” Sehun answered

 

“And what about her?” Jinri pointed at Baekhyun.

 

“She’s with Kyungsoo.” Jongin answered

 

“Then, We can sit here too.” Jinri started to sit beside Jongin.

 

Sehun stood up “I forgot I need to show you some documents Jongin. You need to go over it, NOW.”

 

They all gathered up their food, and followed Sehun’s towards the Student council room, and left a fuming Jinri behind.

 

As they were leaving the cafeteria, Kyungsoo couldn’t help but notice  the other students are staring and watching them leave.

 

She turned and whispered to Baekhyun who was laughing “Why are they looking at us?”

 

“Not us. You! You just hit Sehun and made him apologize.” Baekhyun said.

 

Kyungsoo frowned “Should I not have done that?”

 

“He’s the dangerous type in the reverse harem, and you just crushed his image” said Baekhyun

 

“Image in a reverse what?” Kyungsoo asked, completely confused.

 

“You know, reverse harem, like in the mangas” Baekhyun said.

 

“No, I’m afraid I don’t know, I don’t really read mangas.” Kyungsoo said with a shake of her head.

 

“She doesn’t, the only thing she reads are textbooks, and she doesn’t watch anime too. She’s weird.” Sehun piped in.

 

“OK. You know what a harem is right?” Baekhyun chuckled looking at Kyungsoo.

 

Kyungsoo nodded to that “It’s a group of women, concubines, associated with one man.”

 

Baekhyun agreed “In some mangas, there is one heroine with a lot of love interests, that is a reverse harem. And in every harem, there are certain person with a certain characteristic. Like, for example, the whole student body is the harem, Sehun is the mysterious and dangerous type, Tao is the silent and strong type, Jongin is the cool and y type. Then there’s the princely type, mischievous type, the cute type,  and so on.”

 

“Mysterious?! Dangerous?! More like arrogant, and the reason why I feel eyes on me all the time? These guys says its because I’m new, but its more than that, isnt it?” Kyungsoo said.

 

“Well, yes, you see, their fans” Baekhyun gestured one finger to the three boys who are walking in front of them “had this agreement that no one is allowed to monopolize their time, and you are doing just that.”

 

“I’m a friend though.” Kyungsoo reasoned.

 

“That’s just it, they have friends, but they keep to themselves mostly. They don’t hang out with anyone in particular. Nobody is suppose to sit with them in their lunch table.” Said Baekhyun.

 

“Why not?” Kyungsoo directed her questions to the boys who are holding the door to the student council room open for them.

 

“Because they are annoying.” Sehun answered parking himself on one of the tables, the rest followed suit.

 

“He means, they all want to get into our pants. Or want to be a part of the cool group.” Tao explained.

 

“I don’t want to be in the cool group and I really don’t want to be in any of your pants.” Kyungsoo exclaimed frowning.

 

“We are not the cool kids, Soo, Tao is exaggerating.” Jongin tried to sooth Kyungsoo “eat, before the bell rings.”

 

“I don’t think I want to eat with you guys tomorrow or ever again, if it’s going to be like this everyday.” Kyungsoo said.

 

“We can just eat here, if you don’t want to be in the cafeteria.” Jongin offered.

 

“We should’ve done that in the first place” Sehun added “We can have the Oh’s chef make us lunches, and have it sent here.” Tao was nodding the whole time.

 

“It’s not just the cafeteria, it’s  everybody, every where, it’s too much attention for my liking. I wanted a quiet school life with very little drama.” Kyungsoo complained.

 

“Too late for that now. As soon as you walked through the gate, riding behind Jongin’s bike, every body knows you or rather, would want to know who you are and why are you hanging out with these three.” Baekhyun said. “Some would envy you for being able to hang around them , and some would hate you for hanging around them.”

 

Kyungsoo groaned, “whhhhyyyy, this is too bothersome.” She dropped her head on the table with a loud thump that made Jongin jumped a little and turned to her with worried eyes.

 

“Don’t do that, you’re hurting yourself” Jongin put a hand underneath Kyungsoo’s forehead, cradling it.

 

Three pairs of eyes are watching them with quiet interest.

 

The rest of the school day was the same for Kyungsoo, she did her best to ignore all the staring and glaring the other students are throwing her way, especially the “deadly, dagger throwing” stares of Jinri, whom she unfortunately had a subject with.

 

“I need to go to the library” Kyungsoo said at the end of the school day.  Jongin had told her to come and wait for them in the student council room.

 

“Why don’t you tell me what book you needed and I’ll go fetch it?” Jongin asked.

 

“Didn’t you guys have a meeting?” Kyungsoo asked.

 

“Yes, thats why we want you to come with us, no one will be able to accompany  you to the library.” Sehun said.

 

“I’ll go with her.” Baekhyun said.

 

The three boys looked down on her.

 

“I can show her the way if your concerned about her loosing her way, I need to check out some books anyway.” Baekhyun said.

 

While the three boys went to do their duties, Kyungsoo and Baekhyun went to the library.

 

Surrounded by books, Kyungsoo had her head in one hand, while the other hand scribbled down notes furiously.  She was focused on trying to catch up on her curriculum that she doesn’t waste anytime being bothered by the whispers around her. She even ignored the buzzing of her phone in her pocket.

 

She looked up from her notes and scan the pages of the open books in front of her, she stood and Baekhyun glanced up at her.

 

“I need to find a different reference book.” She said

 

“Want me to help you?” Baekhyun offered.

 

“No, its okay.” She shook her head and walked towards the rows of bookshelves.

 

She scanned the books lined up on the shelves until she found the one that she was looking for. She turned to go back to her table but her way was blocked by a very livid looking Jinri.

 

“What do you think you’re doing?” Jinri asked in a low hiss, while her two sidekicks scowls at her.

 

“Um, looking for books?” She answered waving the book in her hand.

 

Jinri huffed and took a step closer to her.

 

“Don’t be stupid, you know what I mean. What are you doing hanging around my Jongin?” Jinri asked, her two cronies nodded at the back.

 

“Like they said, I’m new here, and our families are old friends, our parents asked them to watch over me.” Kyungsoo said.

 

“I don’t care what you are, you stay away from my Jongin or I’ll make your life a living hell for trying to steal my man, he is mine.” Jinri said.

 

“Look, I’m not trying to take anyone away from anybody. They are just looking after an old friend, because our parents told them to, nothing else.” Said Kyungsoo.

 

“Then tell them that you’re a big girl and can take care of yourself and stay away from my man.” Jinri said with much venom before turning to leave.

 

“Yes, stay away” said the two minions and left to follow Jinri.

 

“This is really getting bothersome.” Kyungsoo sighed before walking back to her table.

 

“I saw Jinri and her posse passed by a few moments ago, is everything alright?” Baekhyun asked worriedly in a hushed voice.

 

“Yes, she just wanted me to stay away from “her man”, she keeps implying that Jongin is hers and hers alone, I thought they weren’t suppose to do that?” She said as she sat back down.

 

“No” Baekhyun place her pen down and leaned forward and whispered “Jinri is different or more like difficult. She appointed herself as the “president” of Jongin’s fans club, but what that really mean is, she doesn’t want anybody  to have Jongin if she cant have him. She is very possessive, and very very dangerous, you do not want to piss her off.”

 

“I am here to study, not make enemies.” Kyungsoo said.

 

“She sees you as a threat though, since its your first day here and you already have three of the most popular students hanging around you, especially Jongin, while she has been after him since middle school, and he still wont pay any attention to her.” Baekhyun told Kyungsoo.

 

There was a loud thump when Kyungsoo dropped her forehead down the table.

 

“Jongin told you to stop doing that.” Baekhyun pointed to her.

 

“This is not the high school life I wanted.” She groaned

 

“What did you want your school life be?” Baekhyun asked.

 

“Quiet, no drama, full of studying and straight A’s.” She answered, closing her eyes.

 

“Two out of four is not bad.” smiled Baekhyun.

 

“It’s not bad, its worst.” She sighed, then sat up and shook her head, things are not going according to her plan, but she can make it work. She continued to read and taking notes up until she felt a tap on her shoulder. It’s Jongin.

 

“Are you done?” She asked she looked at the clock and was surprised that she was in the library for more than two hours.

 

“Yes, Sehun’s just talking to the advisor and then we can go on home. Do you need to take home any books?” Jongin asked

 

“No, its fine, I’m just doing some advance reading.” Kyungsoo said.

 

“Advance? I thought you were trying to catch up?” Asked Baekhyun.

 

Jongin chuckled “that’s catch up in her terms. She needs to be at least two chapters ahead in every subject before she can claim she’s all caught up.”

 

“Ugh, you’re crazy.” Baekhyun said.

 

“I never claimed I was sane in the first place.” Kyungsoo retaliates.

 

She gathered up all her stuffs while Jongin put away the books, the three of them went on their way out to where the bikes were parked, there, Tao and Sehun are already waiting for them, and like earlier that morning, Sehun and Tao took their bags so she can ride with Jongin.

 

The ride home was different for Kyungsoo, earlier, her focus was on listening to her notes, but now, she paid attention to her surroundings, that means, she noticed the other students stares and glares as they past them by.

 

The boys dropped her off, and promised to pick her up again tomorrow morning. Her mom was waiting at the front door as she waved off to the boys.

 

“How was your first day, sweetie?” Mrs. Do asked.

 

“I’m not sure.” Kyungsoo answered.

 

“What do you mean, you’re not sure?” Asked Mrs. Do.

 

“I don’t know if it good or bad. I made a friend!” She said

 

“That’s good, sweetie.” Mrs. Do said.

 

“And I also made and enemy, or more like she made me her enemy.” Kyungsoo informed her mother.

 

“Oh honey, why would anybody do that? They just don’t know you yet.” Her mother said.

 

“She likes Jongin, and doesn’t want me to hang around the boys.” She told her mother.

 

“Ah, high school love. Have you told Jongin that the girl is giving you trouble?” Mrs. Do said.

 

“No, it’s sort of, kind of my fight, I don’t want to bother him.” She said.

 

“Well, Its because of him that you were being targeted, right? Maybe he can do something to make her stop.” Said Mrs. Do.

 

“Maybe, but I’m going to see if I can settle this on my own first.” Kyungsoo said.

 

“If you think thats the right way to go, then do what you have to do, just don’t get hurt.” Her mother said.

 

“I wont.” She said with much conviction.

 

She spent the rest of the day, doing more studying, helping with making dinner, have dinner, and more studying.

 

After her nightly routine, she went to bed, snuggled under her warm thick blanket, grabbed her phone to set the alarm when she noticed a couple of messages from a number she knew by heart. Its from Minseok.

 

 

————————

86139++++++++:

Haven’t heard from you in a while. 

How’s the new school? Made any friends yet?

Got your new number from your dad.

Send me a line when you can. I missed you. 

Dont be a stranger.

 

                                    New school is great and yes I made a friend

                                    I missed you too. How are you holding up?

 

Finally, thought you’d never answer.

 

                                    Sorry ‘bout that, got busy with settling in.

 

No, its fine, I understand. 

And I’m doing good, considering.

 

                                    Have you talked to Luhan?

 

No, not since that day.

 

                                    I haven’t heard from him either,

                                     which is weird.

 

Yeah, anyway, you made a friend! That’s new.

 

                                    Yes, I know. She’s seems great.

 

I know its late, and you need to sleep since

its a school night, I wont hold you much longer, 

just wanted to know how you’re doing.

 

                                    You’re so sweet, are you sure I cant

                                     convince   you to marry me?

 

Haha, very funny, ask me again when you’re 30

Goodnight squirt.

 

                                    Night.

————————

 

 

Talking to Minseok put a smile on her face. She have a very soft spot for him and would do anything for him and she knows he feels the same.  If there was something or someone that could have hold her back from moving back here, it would have been him. She loves Minseok, but not on a romantic level, but like a family or more like a mother to a child, which was weird, but thats how the way it is.

 

She answered a couple of messages from Jongdae and called it a night.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N:

THANK YOU FOR READING! If you enjoyed this story please take a moment to help other readers discover it by leaving a comment. Just a few words and an upvote can really help.

 

ALL CHARACTERS AND EVENTS IN THIS STORY, EVEN THOSE BASED ON REAL PEOPLE, ARE ENTIRELY FICTIONAL.

 

English is my second language so if you noticed any typographical and/or grammatical errors, I will be grateful for the heads up.

 

‘Till next time!

 - Deedee  |(^o^)/