Eight

I Wish
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 "I was supposed to be a good brother," Sehun heaved a long sigh, leaning against Kai's car, "Look at what I've done now. How am I going to answer dad?"

Vernon rested his hand on the other's shoulder, leaning against the car in the same manner beside Sehun, "He needed this, really," he spoke, "You know, when Kai was a kid, he yearned for a little brother who'd play with him, go on bicycle rides and be his partner in every of his crimes."

Sehun looked sideways at him with his brows arched. "So you two know each other for a long time, huh?"

"Well, I know him for a long time. I mean, everyone knew Kai by the time I transferred into this school. He never knew I existed until that day when I accidentally spilled orange juice on his well-ironed uniform. He started bullying me with his group of friends since then," Vernon chuckled before continuing, "After some, let's say, fortunate events, we became best friends."

Sehun nodded, taking in the information. It was a little hard to believe that Vernon was also once bullied by Kai, but nonetheless, it made sense.

"Who's Seulgi?" he blurted out without thinking much.

"Um, you know..." Vernon trailed off and started mumbling to himself, "how to put this into words?" Sehun arched his brows at him and Vernon tried to continue, "So, you know how Kai is never serious about these—"

"These?"

"These meaning relationships."

"Oh, right. So?"

"So, whenever he's done playing with a girl and is going for a new one," Vernon continued, his face scrunching in disgust with every word he spoke, "There's this period between that and he spends that time with Seulgi."

"You mean he sleeps with her whenever he can, right?" Sehun simplified whatever Vernon said. He didn't see the point in euphemizing what Seulgi was to Kai because they simply were friends with benefits.

"Um, yeah...exactly," Vernon mumbled, "Can I ask you something as well?"

"Yeah, anything," Sehun replied, "I don't have any dirty secret like Kai does, by the way."

Vernon chuckled, "What's there between you and Jisoo?"

Sehun went rigid as soon as the words reached his ears, "N-nothing really," he stammered, "We're friends for a long time."

"You think I'd buy that, Sehun?" Vernon displayed him a cheeky grin. Sehun flushed a little at that. "I know there's more to the story. Now tell me, boy."

"Well," Sehun coughed a little, taking into account that Vernon was someone he could trust.

"I... like her, love her even," he gulped after saying that. A smile automatically reached his lips, "I know her for a long time and I fall for her everyday."

"Why didn't you confess then?" the other guy spoke up, finding his answers what he had thought they would be.

"Why don't you confess to Jinri?" Sehun asked, smirking as he turned to him.

"Huh?" Vernon responded with wide eyes, "H-how did you know?"

"Well, I can see it. Trust me, we're stuck in the same situation," Sehun chuckled lightly. The street lamp flickered once again above them. "You're in this for two years; as for me, I'm in this for eight whole years."

"No, wait. How do you know?" Vernon demanded an answer, "Even Kai doesn't know about this."

"Well, I know that look you give Jinri. Kai doesn't and it's not his fault either," Sehun replied, "I caught you really easily. In today's soccer match, I saw how your eyes shifted between Jinri and Chanyeol and the way you were glaring daggers at him the whole time."

"Nothing is going on between them, right?" Vernon asked, his pair of eyes screaming curiosity. His brows arched when Sehun laughed at his question as if it was the funniest thing ever.

Sehun shook his head, "They're as good as siblings. Moreover, Chanyeol liked Seulgi a lot. His heart just broke today," he said, "It's getting late, I think we should leave this place."

"Um, right. It was nice talking to you though," Vernon smiled at him, "And that's a secret, okay? Only you and I know about me liking Jinri."

Sehun chuckled, "Take my advice and ask her out on a date this Sunday."

"You take my advice and confess to Jisoo as fast as you can," Vernon smiled as well, "And, about Kai, let's hope he remembers it all tomorrow morning. That would be necessary," He saw Sehun narrow his brows at that, "Well, you know, he'd realize that he's not above everyone like he thinks he is, but it might be unfortunate for you if he remembers everything."

"Let's see that tomorrow," Sehun sighed before the two got into the car. Vernon made his way into the driver's seat as Sehun settled himself down on the passenger's seat. He looked into the backseat and glimpsed at Kai for a while in the dim light. Guilt started to build up in him when his eyes fell on the bruises he was responsible for. He ran his hand through his hair in frustration and a groan left his lips. He knew he had almost gotten Jisoo but he was apparently not keeping his promise to his father. He couldn't decide what was his priority at that moment. Vernon started the engine and drove off to the main street towards their house.

He sat up on the bed with that rather unpleasant feeling that he was going to die in about five minutes. The pounding headache accompanied him as he made his way into the washroom of his bedroom. A groan left his lips as he peeked his eyes open to look at his reflection in the mirror. His brows arched when he noticed the bruises on his face and the wounds on his perfect jawline. He felt like someone was shouting his step-brother's name from the back of his head and that's when all the memories flooded his brain. His jaws clenched and he knew that his blood was somewhat boiling by then. He couldn't believe he had given a loser like Sehun the chance to even touch him.

 

"Kai, wait!"

A feminine voice exclaimed as he strode down the stairs towards the door.

"Take your breakfast at least," he heard a sigh but didn't bother to turn around and give her an answer.

"Wait, let me see that!" Sehun's mother exclaimed and though he knew she was worried about him, he still didn't respond to her, busy with his phone. She wasn't his mother and he had once made it clear that she didn't have to try to be that either.

"Jongin!"

He was a little taken aback at the way she turned him around. What caught his attention the most was that she used the name that he didn't want to hear from anyone else other than his own mother;

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter