Towards the sun

Towards the sun

The sun shone brightly down on Seoul and its people, the air heated and thick. Warmth let hair stick onto sweaty foreheads and faces and let clothes cling tightly onto bodies, might they be male or female.

It was a sticky day as a group of young students was spending their time together during their summer break. Five boys and a girl, all between 16 and 19, were occupying a table in their favourite café, chattering and laughing surrounding them.

The only female, who also was the oldest, was teasing her neighbour, the tallest and yet the youngest at the table, by stealing whipped cream from his sundae. His complaining was completely ignored, on purpose of course, and earned him nothing but laughter from the two boys next to him. The slightly taller one with dark-brown hair was lying on the back of his brown haired friend whose flushed face was buried in his arms on the table. Laughing sure would kill these two someday in the future.

“Yah, hyung! Do something against your sister!” the tall boy whined, addressing a gold-blond haired boy who was sitting right next to the girl and didn't notice the happenings around him. He noticed nothing but the warmth coming from the soft lips of his boyfriend on top of his own.

“Yah, hyung! Hyung! JaeJoong-hyung, yah!” the tallest with short dark-brown hair snapped, kicking the gold-blond haired boy's leg under the table. He was earned with a pained grunt but at least got what he wanted.

“Ouch! ChangMin! Why the hell are you kicking me?” JaeJoong asked, his hands massaging his hurt shin and a tear forming in his eye. It really hurt a lot.

“Yah, ChangMin-ah! How dare you kick my JaeJoong?!”

“Brother!” JaeJoong's boyfriend and his sister were yelling at the same time, the girl hitting ChangMin's left arm again and again.

“Yah! YAH! Stop hitting me!” ChangMin whined, trying to fight against JaeJoong's older sister.

“SunHee-yah, stop it,” JaeJoong said softly, the pain he felt pulsating in his shin slowly subsiding.

“But-” SunHee replied, stopping in her earlier intention: making mincemeat of ChangMin.

“Why are you picking on him anyway?” JaeJoong asked curiously, the pain in his shin fading away with every brush of his boyfriend's fingers on his left thigh.

“I'm bored.”

“Hey! I'm not at fault that my brother can't be here,” ChangMin declared, rubbing his sore left arm carefully.

“I know,” SunHee sighed. “But I love to tease you, so yeah,” she said with a grin, ruffling ChangMin's hair lovingly.

“Uhm, are JunSu and YooChun still alive?” JaeJoong's boyfriend asked, pointing at the two lifeless boys next to him. Laughing the entire time had caused these two to struggle for new oxygen.

“I guess you've finally killed them, YunHo,” the waiter said who came along with their order.

“I believe so, DongHae,” YunHo replied with a smile, making space for his chocolate-sundae and JaeJoong's strawberry-sundae.

“You need something else?” DongHae asked the whole group, everyone shaking their heads.

“Thanks,” YunHo slowly said before DongHae made his way back to the bar, watching JaeJoong by staring at his strawberry-sundae. His dark-brown eyes were sparkling and a smile plastered on his face. Oh how YunHo loved it when his younger boyfriend was chewing on his bottom lip whenever he was excited. He couldn't hold back the smirk that crept into his face as he grabbed his spoon and shoved it into the strawberry-ice cream of JaeJoong, whose mouth fell open in shock as YunHo ate a spoonful of HIS beloved strawberry-ice cream. It didn't count how much he loved YunHo. No one was allowed to touch his ice cream, especially when it was strawberry-flavoured one!

“Yunniiie~” he whined with the biggest pout decorating his lips YunHo had ever seen.

“That's mine! Go and eat your own chocolate one,” he said, trying to shield his precious sundae from his greedy boyfriend, especially the big bright red strawberry on top of his whipped cream!! But he failed miserably because it was already too late. YunHo was holding the strawberry between his fingers proudly, swaying it to and fro in front of JaeJoong's dilated eyes before he slowly guided the red fruit towards his own mouth. The mischievous glint in his eyes was evident and showed his friends that he enjoyed it gleefully to tease JaeJoong.

The latter didn't notice the glint in YunHo's eyes and just stared at his kidnapped strawberry slowly disappearing in YunHo's mouth. He was near to tears and whimpered softly over the loss of his beloved fruit. How could YunHo be so mean to him? How could he torture the one he declared to love months ago like this?

But to JaeJoong's surprise the strawberry appeared once again, not a small piece missing and dripped with YunHo's saliva. He blinked confused as YunHo dipped the strawberry into his with chocolate-sauce covered whipped cream and slowly guided it towards JaeJoong's slightly parted lips.

“Say aah, JaeJoongie,” YunHo whispered when he held the strawberry directly in front of JaeJoong's trembling lips. JaeJoong's eyes were moving from the loved sweet treat in front of him and YunHo's shining eyes to and fro, his eyelids fluttering and cheeks turning slightly pink as he slowly parted his lips to welcome the red strawberry inside of his mouth.

His eyes were slowly sliding shut, freeing themselves from YunHo's loving stare when the sweetness came into contact with his tongue. He bit down onto the red fruit, the juice secretly making its way down the corner of his mouth while he was relishing the taste of chocolate mixed with strawberry and the taste of YunHo. His taste buds were exploding because of the sweetness he loved so much. It reminded JaeJoong of their first kiss, the first kiss he had shared with someone and totally different from the kiss a girl had stolen from him when he had been 12 years old. But kissing YunHo was so different, so right and let his heart flutter every time again. It was the first time that he loved someone, the first time his heart felt like bursting whenever he saw YunHo and the first time his foot popped.

Ever since he had watched Princess Diaries or rather had been forced by his eight sisters to watch it, he dreamed of such a kiss, a kiss that would let his foot pop. And with YunHo he earned exactly that every time again.

JaeJoong chewed on his bottom lip after he had swallowed the strawberry, his eyes opening slowly once he felt a thumb grazing along the trail of strawberry juice left behind on his chin, his lips parted slightly as YunHo cupped his flushed face and leaned in, pressing his lips gently on top of JaeJoong's plump ones. And like always when YunHo was kissing JaeJoong, the two would forget everything and everyone around them and like always JaeJoong's left foot would come to life of its own accord, slowly lifting from the ground and would pop or would wind around the cold metal of the leg of the chair he was sitting on in this case.

The loud clearing of throats startled the two kissing boys and caused them to break apart. They were faced with four bored if not to say somewhat annoyed looking faces of their friends. JaeJoong blushed deeply like always when he had lost himself in the warmth YunHo was giving him and when he had gotten caught.

*

It took YunHo and JaeJoong just half an hour to finally finish their sundaes and just 15 more minutes for the entire group to pay and leave the café. YooChun and JunSu were the first two of the friends that said goodbye and were making their way home since they were neighbours and had the same way anyway.

“Come on, ChangMin. I want to see HanKyung this very day,” SunHee declared after she had hugged her brother goodbye and dragged ChangMin towards his own home. Now YunHo and JaeJoong were left behind, all alone by themselves. A nervous, not to say embarrassing silence built up between them, just like for the last month whenever they were alone; since the day YunHo had brought up the topic in their relationship of three months back then. Since then JaeJoong had shut himself whenever they were alone. He did love YunHo, of course, and loved being together with him, but still he felt afraid of taking this last step. He trusted YunHo completely but didn't feel ready for it by himself. YunHo understood him and he could feel how much YunHo loved and cared for him. He couldn't deny that he had thought about taking the last step for the last few weeks but he still couldn't get himself to talk about it with YunHo. He was just too shy to open up his mouth.

“Wanna take a walk?” YunHo asked to overcome the pregnant silence, earning a soft nod from JaeJoong. They were walking side by side towards the Han River and a small forest, their usual spot to take a walk whenever they were going out.

JaeJoong silently grasped YunHo's hand and entwined their fingers, his head hung low and cheeks shining pink as YunHo looked at him bewildered, a soft smile gracing his lips soon afterwards when he softly squeezed JaeJoong's hand. They didn't notice the sky turning slowly grey in their togetherness until a loud thunder growled over their heads and was soon followed by mercilessly falling raindrops.

They were already soaked to the skin as they finally reached a bus stop that could shield them from the rain. YunHo looked at the plan, hoping that a bus would come soon to take it but, unfortunately, the last just drove off some minutes ago and the next would come in more than 15 minutes. He would have waited but concerning the now cold air and that JaeJoong's figure was shivering let him think about it once more.

“Here. I know it won't help but maybe it will just a little,” he said when he placed his jersey around JaeJoong's shaking shoulders and drew him into his arms.

“T-thanks, Yunnie,” JaeJoong responded softly, his teeth clattering because of the coldness. The warmth of YunHo slowly emanated through his chilled body and let him lean into him just a bit more. He could hear YunHo's heartbeat pounding against his ears and could feel the latter's breath brushing through his damp gold-blond hair. It made JaeJoong feel safe and at ease and let him forget the thunder growling above them.

“We could go to my place. It's closer than yours,” YunHo said after some minutes of holding JaeJoong in his arms who was now looking up to him. “M-my parents aren't at home,” he added shyly, his cheeks turning pink as he looked into JaeJoong's eyes.

“O-oh,” JaeJoong replied, his face feeling like it would burn as he looked down and silently added, “O-okay.”

YunHo did catch JaeJoong's shy answer and felt his heartbeat increasing at the silent promise swaying around them. He cupped JaeJoong's flushed face and smiled lovingly at him, earning himself a soft and beautiful smile from JaeJoong.

Once the rain subsided slowly, not stopping though, YunHo and JaeJoong were running from the bus stop into the streets, rushing towards YunHo's home, their hands linked and their silent promise carved deeply into their thumping hearts.