Playing With Fire

Rock, Paper & Scissors

“You’re playing with fire, Ginna,” Sooyoung warned the confident woman.

“Nobody owns anybody, right?” Ginna remained unperturbed. “I can go for anyone I like.”

“You’re not doing this on purpose, are you?” Seo asked.

Ginna grinned. “We’re all adults here. If Tiffany doesn’t welcome me, she’ll let me know. If she has her eye on somebody else, she’ll let me know.” She shrugged. “If that happens, I’ll move on to somebody else.”

“You’re so cool, Ginna,” Seo commented.

Flipping her silky black hair to the back, Ginna flashed her neat rows of teeth and said, “Of course.”

o|v

Ginna was true to her word. Tiffany starting seeing her at the bar with her girlfriends at least twice a week. She appreciated what Ginna was doing and took special care to send over complimentary drinks each time they came. They would chat briefly whenever Ginna dropped by and she found the woman to be easy to talk to. Ginna also flirted with her but she didn’t take it seriously. Until the second week, when Ginna asked her out on a date.

“Is that a yes, or a no?”

Tiffany smiled apologetically and Ginna got the message immediately.

“No?”

“I’m sorry.”

Ginna put her hands up and smiled. “No worries. You don’t have to apologize. But would you humour me and tell me if there’s someone you’re interested in?”

Tiffany smiled as she nodded.

“Is it Taeyeon?”

Shock was written in Tiffany’s widened eyes. “How did you know?”

Ginna shrugged. “Just a wild guess. What do you like about her though?”

“I can’t really explain it. We have a bit of a weird history and we didn’t start off in a good way so even I don’t really know I’m drawn to her.”

“It’s the charisma that she doesn’t deserve to have.”

Tiffany laughed. “Yes, it seems a little unfair for her to have so many good things, doesn’t it?”

Ginna winked. “Well, if you’re really interested, you should ask her out already. What are you waiting for?”

“I’m giving it some time. It would’ve been easier if we didn’t get off to such a rough start.” Tiffany blushed a little as she added, “And to be honest, I’m a little shy when it comes to such things.”

“I should probably tell you something about Taeyeon then.” Ginna put an arm around Tiffany and whispered in her ear, “Taeyeon likes you.”

“What?”

“She denies it whenever Sooyoung and the rest bring it up but we all know the truth.”

Tiffany eyed Ginna in amazement. “You’ve been here two weeks. How do you know so much?”

Ginna threw her head back and laughed. “Babe, I’m a psychologist. I read people’s emotions and feelings for a living.”

“Wow. I didn’t know that.”

“Well, now you know.”

“So you’re saying Taeyeon likes me?”

“Uh huh.”

“Why didn’t anybody tell me?” Tiffany was mystified.

“It was none of our business. And Taeyeon would probably kill anyone who tells you.”

“So it’s really true.”

Ginna smiled. “Given the fact that I was trying to ask you out on a date a while ago, there’s really no reason for me to lie about this, is there?”

“But why hasn’t Taeyeon done anything?” Tiffany frowned. “We went to a movie together and it didn’t end very well. She said she gets along with me but I was getting mixed signals from her. Why would she be like this if she really likes me?”

“Taeyeon is a contradiction. She appears tough and confident and cool on stage but she’s not as lively off stage. She’s very comfortable with her bandmates and people she’s known for a long time, but she’s a little awkward with strangers.”

Tiffany nodded. “That sounds like her.”

“I think her friends are part of the reason why she hasn’t done anything yet. With all that teasing going on, she’s probably in denial. And as you said, the way you met wasn’t great so there’s probably some pride getting in the way as well.”

“If she’s in denial, she’s not gonna go out with me if I ask.”

“It all depends on how you ask.”

“What do you mean?”

Ginna grinned. “You’re a smart girl. You’ll think of something.”

o|v

Taeyeon frowned at the sight of Ginna whispering to Tiffany. “Why is Ginna coming here so often these days?”

Sooyoung exchanged knowing looks with Hyo and Seo. “Don’t you know? She’s after our fabulous manager.”

“No way. She’s just a ing flirt.”

“It’s true. Ginna told us she’s into Tiffany,” said Seo.

“She told you?” Taeyeon asked with widened eyes.

Sooyoung grinned. “Yeah, she told us. And isn’t it obvious? Do you really think Ginna’s been bringing her friends here just to watch you sing?”

“Hey, we’re a great band. We have fans coming here just for us.”

“It may be true for her friends. But Ginna is definitely here for Tiffany,” Sooyoung said with a tone of finality. “If you don’t believe me, you can ask Ginna yourself.”

“Whatever. Ginna can date whoever she likes. None of my ing business.” Taeyeon stood up and grabbed her bag. “I’m gonna get changed. Be right back.”

o|v

“Hey.”

Tiffany looked up from the water flowing from the tap and saw Taeyeon looking at her in the mirror. She took in the way Taeyeon’s dark brown hair fell, framing the eyes that were locked on her currently. It was an attractive stare and she held it, her heart happy to be the object of Taeyeon’s attention. “Hi, Taeyeon.”

“Don’t you feel cold wearing this nurse outfit?” Taeyeon asked as she washed her hands.

“I’ll put on a jacket if I feel cold.”

“Good. Don’t get sick. The other manager .”

Tiffany remembered what Ginna told her about Taeyeon earlier and ended up giggling.

“What are you laughing about?”

“Nothing.”

Taeyeon wiped her hands dry and was about to leave when she stopped at the door. “That movie we watched last Monday. I wanna know what happened.”

Tiffany stared at Taeyeon as the singer’s intense gaze locked down on her. “The movie?”

“You said you were gonna buy the tickets and watch it with me.”

“But you said I don’t have to do that.”

“I changed my mind.”

“Huh?”

“That movie is bugging me. I need to know what happened.”

“Okay . . . so I’ll buy the tickets . . .”

“You’re off tomorrow, right?”

Tiffany nodded, feeling a little lost by Taeyeon’s rapid fire talking.

“I’m free after eleven. We can watch it at noon if you’re free too.”

Tiffany thought for a moment before nodding. “I’m free.”

Taeyeon pulled an odd smile and opened the door. “Buy the tickets. And don’t drive. I’ll swing by to pick you up.”

“Why?”

“To save petrol, .”

“Right . . .”

Taeyeon exited the restroom then, leaving Tiffany standing at the sink, wondering what just happened.

It’s a date, silly. She just asked you out on a date and you agreed.

It’s not a date. She just wants to watch the movie again.

She told you not to drive. How much more obvious can it get?

So it’s a date?

It’s a date.

Tiffany smiled as she touched up her makeup. She didn’t know why Taeyeon did that but she wasn’t about to complain.

o|v