10:29

Tardy

A/N: Help! I’m pretty new to Dreamcatcher so please, if anyone is out of character please feel free to tell me, I apologize in advance! I also don’t have an OTP as of yet so I’m just writing for 97 line because their interactions seem to fit? Also grammar mistakes and typos are plentiful, I'm sorry, it's a bit rushed but this fandom deserves more fics!!! 

P.S. It’s embarrassing how much time I just spent looking up kindergarten age cut offs to match their ages up for this ONE-SHOT of all things, haha! 

P.P.S. Did y’all watch Yoohyeon’s cover of “Secret Love Song” because if not please for the love of god, I’m still speechless.

........

“Ahh really?” Yoohyeon looks down at her high school transcript and notes the ugly mark under the behavioral section, specifically, the “tardies” column. The slot has a single mark upon it. A single blemish on her otherwise unblemished and stellar report card.

“At least you only got caught once” Yoobin quips with her low chuckle. It’s a unique voice, but it flows wonderfully through the air. A warm and comfortable voice amidst the wild emotions that came with being in high school. She was and still is Yoohyeon’s rock.

“It’s your fault, how can you be laughing? I was an innocent freshman and you kept asking me to ‘walk you to class’” Yoohyeon replies with a dramatic expression, keeling over as if she’s physically in pain.

She’s already over the trauma of her perfect school record being marred by that mark but she’s not going to let the other girl off so easily.

It earns her another one of Yoobin’s soft laughs, and looking down into her girlfriend’s adoring eye smile, Yoohyeon could care less.

It was worth it if one tardy could ended up finally making her realize her feelings for the shorter girl. Shy smiles,  cutely turned up lips and all, all aimed at her, how did she get so lucky? 

Taking advantage of the older girls daydreaming, Yoobin boldly grabs her by her uniform and pulls her into a rough bear hug landing a quick peck on her cheek.

“What are those long legs for if you can’t even outrun a tardy?”

“Oh really now? Chase me!” Yoohyeon yells as she flies down the hall, laughing with a child-like innocence that betrays her age.

Right past an amused looking Minji who looks down at her watch, 2:36. Well, her hall monitor duties didn’t extend past the end of the school day which ended a minute ago. She’s certainly not getting paid to chase down children.

Turning around she sees the quiet freshman Yoobin jogging past her with a bright smile.

Ah, she looks very lovely when she’s smiling like that, the senior thinks to herself as she walks away with a light shake of her head. She’s seen it all before.

~Flashback ~

It’s 10:29 and she’s pumping her long legs as fast as they’ll go, sprinting down the corridor and two flights of stairs.

While her legs work in auto drive her mind, her traitorous mind is replaying the shorter girls shy smile and the way her voice sounded when she called her “unnie."

A sharp left turn sees Yoohyeon flying past a surprised looking Senior hall monitor walking along who just shakes her brilliant red locks as the tardy girl quickly shoots her a sheepish smile silently begging the senior not to report her for running and does a half bow of apology before continuing on her way.

Her destination?

Classroom 129S, where her history professor waited with a smug grin on his face.

“Ms. Kim, tardy!” her history teacher, Mr. Beach says, while triumphantly marking his attendance board with unnecessary flourish. “And on a presentation day? 5 more minutes and it would have been an absence.” Was that a hint of dissapointment in his voice?

Yoohyeon gives him a quick bow before slipping into her seat, quickly fixing her sweaty bangs.

Mr. Beach was a sharp little man and ran his class with military precision, taking joy in setting and enforcing his class rules.

The first rule was that European history was to be a sophomore and above class.

A rule that Yoohyeon had somehow convinced the administration to let her slide past, seeing as she had already taken the freshman class in middle school. Rule breaker, nerd, call her what you may but Yoohyeon was that girl.

“Where were you?” Siyeon says to Yoohyeon in what the girl probably assumes is a whisper, but can actually be heard by all the curious ears surrounding their shared desk.

“Running through your mind” Yoohyeon shoots back with a pat at her windblown hair to emphasize her statement.

“Gross” Siyeon let’s out a barking laugh, which earns the eagle eye of Mr. Beach.

From the other side Handong looks on, her countenance seems stoic but a small smile tugs at her lips at Yoohyeon’s shameless retort. The freshman was undeniably a character. A dork but an earnest one, a girl who wore her heart on her sleeves.

A single uninterested glance from her often had the younger girl twisting around and doing ridiculous poses in an attempt to win a smile from her. 

When it's her turn, Yoohyeon loads up her presentation and takes a deep breath.

Although she claims she’s deathly shy when it comes to having attention focused on her, she plays it off with her awkward jokes. 

Pointing to a picture of prehistoric Europeans she confidently quips “this is a picture of me, back before I started shaving” the class roars, “also back when I was a man”.

Siyeon’s unique laugh fills the classroom, and it’s just so ridiculous that even Handong has to crack a wide smile at the sound of it. 

Sometimes their one grade level age difference was obvious to Handong moments like this proved it.

Surprisingly, the younger girl has shown moments of sensitivity that could almost convince her that maybe Yoohyeon wasn't just an over grown tall kid but a thoughtful young woman.

This would probably not be one of those times. 

Mr. Beach sits back, adjusting his reading glasses and scribbles on his rubric.

The rest of her speech continues without any further outrageous outbursts and soon class is over.

Soon Yoohyeon will have to face her decisions, and the implications behind them.

Why would a perfect student risk a tardy, for a girl. 

A girl she occasionally finds herself unknowingly staring at from across the room.

A girl who had 3rd period clear across the school from her and always had to stop at the water fountain between classes tucking her books in her left arm as she sips gracefully, short hair rushing forward to cover her slim neck. 

A girl who liked to live life on the side lines watching and cheering for the others. A girl who tied her hair up, when she was concentrating, and a girl who smiled the brightest during dance class. 

A pretty girl sure, but a girl who had only asked her to “walk with her.”

Literally a three word sentence that had her heart fluttering against her rib cage.

Oh gods. Was this the start of heart disease? She's on plenty of intramural teams and even the jump rope competitions she's joined hadn't made her heart feel this weird. 

"Did you really just say you think you have heart disease?" Siyeon laughs covering . 

Flipping pancakes, did she just say that aloud. How much of it did her friends hear? 

"Sounds more like another disease. It's actually spreading around a lot recently" Siyeon continues with Yoohyeon holding onto each word her unnie was telling her.

Handong rolled her eyes clearly knowing where this was going.

"It causes people to constantly stare at people, it's almost like you can't help it! Sometimes you notice little things about them and when they notice you, you get really happy and..."

"Oh so like you and Sua unnie?" Yoohyeon asks innocently?

She leaves even more confused with a choking Siyeon and a smiling Handong patting Siyeon's shoulders. 

It all started with those three words.

"Walk with me?"

......

"Yeah!" Yoohyeon replies too quickly, and covers it by grabbing Dami's art portfolio from her hands and swinging it over her shoulder with a wide grin.

She wobbles a little to the left but quickly adjusts her position to show off that the weight is nothing.

Bangs flop over her eyes making her really look like a puppy as she gestures for Yoobin to lead the way.

“Won’t you be late unnie?“ Yoobin asks, as they reach her classroom. Unconsciously she reaches out, as if to grip the other girl’s hand...

She mentally slaps herself for letting the term of affection slip through , but Yoohyeon is already halfway down the rapidly emptying hallway.

As she watches the taller girl’s receding figure, she sees her turning around to give her one last wave and a big cheesy heart before sprinting off again.

She could be imagining it, but were Yoohyeon’s cheeks a little pink? Why would they be pink?

Shaking her head Yoobin ignores the soft fluttering of her heart and looks down at her watch, the time is 10:29.