Chapter 9

Uncovered Ties
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jimin’s POV

Once I got home I collapsed onto my bed with a sigh. I felt tired and I knew it had nothing to do with the fact Namjoon had been asleep while our bodies had been switched. No, this tiredness was familiar. It was one I’d been feeling for a long time now. A tiredness of living. Of simply being alive and going through the motions. Feeling so lifeless yet having to push yourself to continue on because you’re too afraid of what would happen if you stand still. That’s what I was feeling. It was something that I always was vaguely aware of feeling.

I curled into myself on my bed and pulled my pillow close to me hugging it tightly as my eyes began to sting and tears slipped through and down my cheeks. I don’t even know why I was crying. What reason did I have to cry? If I were to be honest with myself I had plenty of reasons to cry, but the thing, is they were all stupid reasons, things that shouldn’t matter. Like the fact I hated my job, or the fact I didn’t like this apartment, maybe even that I was lonely most of the time. But what did these things matter? I had what I needed to survive, I was blessed to have a home, steady income, food, clothes, and most other things one needed to live. There were so many people out there who were worse off so what right do I have to complain? None. That’s my answer. And so I didn’t have any reason to cry and yet here I was crying anyway.

Eventually I ended up falling asleep having been worn out from the day’s events. This whole switching bodies thing was starting to take a toll on me. When I’d first switched with Jin, I’d been shocked and had to get used to how different our bodies were but it wasn’t too bad. But as I stayed stuck in Jin’s body, I began to feel an invisible weight on my (well Jin’s) shoulders, and a dull ache within my (Jin’s) heart. The longer I’d been in Jin’s body the more I began to feel his burdens and stresses, even if I didn’t know what they were, I began to feel the effects they had on Jin’s body. I wasn’t even sure how I knew the invisible weight/pressure I was feeling were burdens and stresses Jin was bearing, but I just did.

The same thing had happened with Namjoon, the longer I’d been in his body the more I felt the unbearable weight of something crushing my (Namjoon’s) soul. This constant nagging in the pit of my (Namjoon’s) stomach. And knowing that I was feeling these things when I was in their body made me worry they’d feel my own thoughts weigh onto their mind while they were in my body. I didn’t want that. I didn’t want them to know, I didn’t want anyone to know. But at least if they did know, they weren’t asking about it.

* * *

The next morning I woke up when my phone started blaring on my bedside table. Groaning I pushed myself up and grabbed it before answering it without looking at the caller ID. Groggily I said, “Hello?” while rubbing the sleep out of my tired eyes.

“Jimin-ah, can you come to the library?” Namjoon asked, his voice sounding serious and unhappy.

“Hmm why?” I asked as I pulled the cell phone away from my ear and looked at the time, “Hyung it’s barely six in the morning, why are you at the library so early?”

“Well you see… Remember the USB we put all our data on?” Namjoon prompted.

“Yes?” I replied.

“There’s been a little accident that may or may not really be my fault and its kind of stuck in the computer and I have no clue how to get it out.” Namjoon explained.

I didn’t say anything for a whole minute as my sleep-addled brain tried to comprehend what Namjoon was saying. But when it did register, I couldn’t help but feel bewildered. “Wait.. you’re telling me that… the USB with all the data is stuck in one of the library computers?”

“More or less, yes.”

“Hyung! How did that even happen?!”

“Well yesterday after you left, I went to take out the USB, and while attempting to pull it out, I somehow only ended up pulling the plastic part out.”

“Yesterday? You mean to tell me it’s been stuck in the computer since yesterday night?”

“You could say that. I wanted to get some help pulling it out but it was closing time and they essentially kicked me out of the library and said I could come back for the USB tomorrow… that’s why I’m here so early, but I haven’t been able to take the damn thing out. It just won’t budge.” Namjoon said with an irritated huff.

“... “ I was silent again. I then sighed as I ran a hand through my hair and shook my head. “Alright, I’m coming. I should be there in fifteen minutes,” I said and then hung up after we exchanged a quick farewell with one another.

I hurrie

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter