In the Green Forest

A Mysterious Thing

  I patted my furry companion on the head. He, I assumed, wagged his tail in response. The sun's last rays hit my face. Night was coming. What should I do? Stay under the tree, or seek shelter somewhere else. Hiro, the name I gave the dog, trotted off near the bushes. Was he doing his business or would he leave me? As if to assure me, he barked loudly before scampering into the thick cluster of leaves. All was quiet. Getting curious, I clamped my hand over a fallen branch and began to pick my way through the deep forest. "Hiro?" I called out into the darkness. He bounded back, a fish in his mouth. Hiro dropped it at my feet and head butted his head into my chest. I fell backward on my rump. "Hiro! You bad dog." Though I said that, I couldn't stifle the laugh escaping my mouth. Hiro, sensing the mood, me crazily until my face was soaked with dog spittle. "A bit overboard don't you think, Hiro?" I brushed my fingers through his fine brown fur to calm him. "Can you show me where ever you got that fish from?"

     The shaggy mutt led me through the complicated labyrinth that was the forest. Soon, a roaring river showed  itself to my sight, its contents so tempting to my thirsty tongue and tired body. I stripped off my sweat-soaked clothes and plunged into the icy tears of the river. It felt blissful. I scooped up a handful of water and trickled it down my head. Suddenly, I heard a rustle to my right. Frightened, I gathered up my clothes and climbed out of the currents. Then, after thinking, I slowed my pace to make it more casual as to not look suspicious; I sat down and nonchalantly put my clothes on. Hopefully, this stranger did not see me grasp a sharp stone in my hand. I climbed out of the river, fresh from my dip. Casually,  I walked towards the place where the noise occurred. 1, 2, 3, I murmured in my head. I pulled back the bush.

     Meanwhile, elsewhere in the forest, the three boys laid in a clump. Natsu was the first to awaken. He gazed around the forest with dazed eyes. He seemed not to noticed the other two boys on the ground or that the only female in the group wasn't there. Natsu stood up. His emerald eyes had transformed into crimson orbs. Hehe, he snickered, I got it. 

    Natsu strolled quietly away from the others. He could hear the rush of water close-by. Gradually, he reached the bushes near the rapid stream. There, a female was bathing in the water. Her brown hair was dripping with water, having soaked to the skin from a dunk in the brook. He hid silently for a while, admiring the female's lean frame and powerful aura. She's a magician. Suddenly, the girl turned and seemed to detect his presence. She pulled her clothes on, deliberately going slow. Time to go, Natsu thought before ducking out of the way when the bush budged from apprehender. He nimbly swept himself on a branch, using the leaves of the tree to conceal himself from the girl's view. 

    I could've sworn I heard something here! I clutched the stone tightly in my hand. Shouldn't have done that. A gash planted itself deep in my hand; blood crawled down my wrist, coating my skin with what looked like crimson gloves. Ignoring it, I walked back to the river. Where was Hiro? He disappeared again in this darkness. I surveyed the forest clearing. A tuft of fur stuck on a branch fluttered in the wind. I scurried over to it and picked it off. Yup, this was Hiro's fur, but where was he? 

   I searched for hours, without any luck. I resigned in a cave near the coast of the river, making myself comfortable in this mysterious unknown. I better hit the hay, who knows when I'll sleep tomorrow, I thought. With that, I hit dream land.

   When I came back to reality, something warm was in my arms. Surprised, I cracked an eye open. A golden head was wedged between my arms. I jumped back an feet away to slam into the ever-unforgiving wall. Ow. I analyzed the stranger. Amazingly, it was a small child that went up to my knee, curled up on the ground. I staggered back to whe    re the kid laid and went back to sleep.