Stuck in a green world

A Mysterious Thing

  I stood up and took my bag from Kaede. I complained, "Geez, this magic business is draining me. Wanna go to my house?" My companions looked surprised. 

    Shyly, and shockingly, Natsu said, "S-sure." Immediate stares came right after. We arrived at my house. Apparently, my parents were still at work. Taking my key out, I opened the door and shepherded them inside. Warm currents of air met my face. The same result came to my visitors. 
    "I'm going to change." I said before going upstairs to my room. I stripped off my uniform and began dressing into my favorite shirt and breeches. A knock came from my door.
    "Come in." Marc opened the door and leaned towards my ear. Thank goodness I was getting used to it. Wait, WHAT?
    "Come down fast, Kaede is being scary." I nodded and calmly went downstairs. Marc stalked closely behind me. The other two nodded their acknowledgment of me and continued to stare back at each other.
    "Can I get you something?
    "Tea's fine," they replied.
I headed towards the kitchen and the stove. The last dregs of tea leaves were still there. After making sure that everything was fine, I walked towards my favorite chair, which was between the two staring idiots, and waited.
    "Any day now." I grumbled. Natsu cleared his throat.
    "We need to train you." Those five words changed my life. 
    "I guess so." I sighed. This was gonna be hard. What kind of hell was it gonna be? These thoughts pummeled my poor brain into anxiety. "When are we gonna train and where and WHAT?" 
    "That's the hard part. I don't know yet." Natsu could only reply. Thunder cracked overhead, making him look even more mysterious. Rain poured beside the window, loud splashes occupying it. 
     I asked my friends, "What are your abilities?" 
One by one, they told me. Marc was healing, Kaede was a controller of the elements, and Natsu could shape shift. That made me wonder.Could the other transfer, Nick, be a magician too? 
I glanced at the clock. 7:38. A new friend, a new power, school, now training. Could life get any harder?
    I cleared my throat. "Why don't you guys stay for dinner? We also have homework for Mrs. Swert." They all hesitated for a bit but when I mentioned I was going to make some fried rice, they perked up immediately. The magic of fried rice, I'd say. I went to the kitchen and began my charge. My parents wouldn't be home this week because of a business trip at Beijing. Home alone again. I cut the ingredients and steered them around in the pot. Soon, dinner was served. 
    "Kaede! Marc! Help me set the table!" they grumbled but obeyed. I scooped the rice and splashed it onto the plates. We all sat down at the table and dug in. We finished the whole pan in less than 5 mins. I cleared up the table and began washing them. Once or twice Kaede and Marc offered to help, but I just shook them off. I dried my hands on my pants and went back to my company. "You know, I think I know a good place for training." They whipped their head back, staring intently back at me.
    "Where?" Natsu was the first to ask. 
    "There's an undisturbed wood behind my house." 
    "Lovely. We don't need any unexpected visitors."
    "Anyways, homework time!" The boys groaned behind me. They hated to do homework, but I always forced them to do it. We scrambled for our backpacks. I ped mine and saw something unusual. Papers, check, folders check and.... a small orb? I lifted it out of my backpack. Kaede, Marc, and Natsu took one look at the glass orb. They jumped for it. I stood there, dumbfounded.
    "Drop it!" Kaede yelled. Too late. Everything around me began to swirl. Uh-oh--not a good sign.

     I felt something heavy on my stomach. I snapped my eyes open. Green life surrounded me.... and that heavy thing on my abdomen was a furry creature. A shaggy dog. I gently swept it off and experimented standing up. A negatory. I crawled towards the tree, thinking of shelter. When I finally reached the massive oak, the dog jogged back enthusiastically to me and into my lap. I smiled. At least I had a companion here, in this strange green world.... Marc and the others!