Prologue

It's Always Been You

 

 

Dating is a term used when you guys are together, when you guys really like each other and start all the lovely romantic things in your life. For Jaemin, dating isn't something as special as he used to think it was. It could actually be the worst thing or the best thing that could happen to someone. But honestly, what is dating when you guys aren't really in love anymore?

 

Jaemin used to love it when they held hands, when Jeno would kiss his forehead and cheeks everytime they see each other, when they text each other good morning, when they drive around at night to look at the stars and listen to music, and especially when Jeno tells him that he loves him while looking right into his eyes. Back then, it was just perfect. It was beyond what anyone could ever want. But everything seemed to have disappeared in a blink of an eye, gone like the wind and washed away in the vast ocean. It was as if the love they had never seemed to exist and that's what hurts the most. The nonexistent feeling of heart fluttery moments and kisses didn't matter anymore.

 

There were a lot of times they fought and there were several times when Jeno couldn't take it. He couldn't understand Jaemin and Jaemin was tired of trying to make everything work. They seemed like totally different people, clashed together in different mindsets and wants. They were like the sun and moon, totally opposite of each other, living in the same atmosphere and life. Their fights were nothing but painful and utterly heartbreaking. They just weren't who they used to be. They weren’t who they had once loved.

 

And as time flies, the heart just keeps on hurting and everything else just fades away, taking whatever feelings they had for each other. Maybe they were never supposed to love each other. Maybe they just never belonged together.

 

And just like that, everything they had together just wasn't enough. They just weren't enough for each other.









 

 

 

 

“Let’s break up,” Jeno announced during their 5 year anniversary dinner. It was a simple statement without much thought to it, but it was a very heartbreaking statement that no one wanted to hear.

 

“Okay,” Jaemin said, knowing that it was going to happen anyways. It was so low of Jeno to break up with him right on their anniversary. It hurt a lot. Like Jeno just didn't seem to care about them anymore. Jeno just wanted to let everything go and breaking up was the only way to do it.

 

Jeno didn't even look at him twice before standing up and leaving the quiet restaurant. He had already paid for the dinner beforehand so Jaemin never had to worry about it. Jaemin just watched him go just as the rain was pouring down, not even making a move and just staring at the back of who he used to believe was his first love, or was his first love. There was no point in trying to get Jeno back because they just weren't working out anymore. They just weren't in love anymore. The years of unforgettable love and sweet moments were just a memory. They were nothing but just pain for him. They were nothing but a speck of little memories in the back of his mind, waiting to be forgotten as the years pass.

 

Jaemin wistfully looked back at his food and smiled bitterly to himself. “This is where I walk on my own path now.” There was no Jeno and Jaemin, but just him.

 

He walked up to the front table and smiled at the small lady. She seemed to have witnessed the whole scene but didn't say anything and he was glad that she didn't. “I’ll pay for the dinner. Just please cancel the payment on his card,” Jaemin said.

 

The lady just gave him a comforting smile, like she seemed to understand how he was feeling. “Okay.”

 

Jaemin saw that her name was Irene and quickly fetched out his card. He knew that Jeno would see that the money has returned back to him once it was processed. He smiled at her once more before taking his leave.

 

Jaemin walked out the restaurant and was about to call for a taxi until he noticed a small silver ring on the ground near the door. It was in a middle of a tiny puddle. He slowly bent down to pick it up. It was Jeno’s ring. It was their promise ring, where they once promised each other that they would be together forever, where they once promised each other everything and their future. Jaemin’s heart broke just by seeing it. Jeno chose not to keep it. Jaemin looked down at his ring and took it off and placed it right next to Jeno’s without much thought.

 

He got up just in time to see a taxi coming towards him and he quickly ran towards it, opening the door and getting inside, leaving everything behind.