Across the redemption

Desperado
Please log in to read the full chapter

The street views are flying, the wind is soughing, her heart is bumping like it is about to explode. Kyungwon cycles to the station, leaning her bike against a pillar, doesn’t care a bit about it falls to the ground and creates a loud noise.

“Get out of my way, get out of my way…”

If the few cops in the hall didn't recognize her, she would be subdued like a lunatic.

“Dad!”

She barges into her father’s office, ignoring the officers that are also inside. Everyone throws over an astounded face.

“She’s in trouble, I know that! She just wouldn’t listen to me and now she’s missing…”

“Woah, whao, chill.”

Kang Jihyuk puts down the paper in his hand and walks to his sweating daughter. “Who’s in trouble? Who’s missing?”

“It’s Minkyung! Dad, you have to send people out right now, I went to Jin’s Café and it is closed today, how’s that possible? She’s not answering her phone…”

“Kang Kyungwon, deep breath.”

Jihyuk gestures the officers to leave them and waits for his daughter to restore some calmness. “Now, is your mind straightened?”

Kyungwon nods.

“Can you talk properly?”

She nods again.

“Ok. Tell me everything from the beginning.”

                         ###

“Let me talk to her, please…You don’t have to do this.”

Kim Woohyun appears out of nowhere and grabs Song Jungki’s arm. “I need only ten…no, five minutes.”

Song Jungki turns his sight from the girl on the floor to him. “The stab on your hand hurts, huh?”

“……”

“I believe you won’t play tricks. I’ll be outside, timing.”

Once he leaves the room, Kim Woohyun squats down and wants to help Minkyung up. He doesn’t dare to look at the redness on her cheek.

“Here, sit up and…”

“Don’t…Don’t touch me.”

Minkyung’s voice stutters between her gritted teeth. “Y-You set me up…You presented me to that bastard!”

“Shh, he will hear you.” Kim Woohyun seems to be worried but that provokes her even more.

“Why do you care? I always knew you are a lousy, selfish person, but I thought…” She gulps in disbelief. “I thought you wouldn’t hurt me…not in this way…I thought you wouldn’t be that jerk to use mom! How could you!? God, I should have listened to…”

“…To whom?”

She looks away, she will never say that name in front of her so-called father.

“Is it Kyungwon?”

“You…” Minkyung shoots him a glare. “Don’t you dare go to…”

“Think about yourself now, Minkyung.”

Kim Woohyun peeks at the door as if he’s scared about somebody’s coming. “Why did you do these? You really pretended to be a hooker and…send them your half- photos…? You let them t-touched you? And you drugged them and informed the media?”

Those questions sting her but she mocks to hide it. “Which one do you want me to answer first?”

The knot in his throat hitches his breaths. This girl in front of him is his daughter for sure. She was a little one with big smile and would run into his embrace while calling him daddy. It shouldn’t be hatreds that are glittering in her pupils…Or he simply doesn’t want to admit that he was the one turned her.

“Who’s behind you?”

“…What?”

“Who’s behind you?” Kim Woohyun repeats with more desperation. “Someone must instigate you, right? You were used and they had their purpose. Tell me, Minkyung, is it Lee Soomang? Or is it Park Hyungseok?”

“And just who are they?”

“It was none of them? You have to tell me the truth, Song Jungki and Han Sungwo…They are pissed off, Senator Son wants an explanation too! Give me the name and I can plead them to let you go!”

“Don’t talk like you are trying to protect me.” Minkyung’s eyes are added with rage. “I planned everything, nobody instigated and helped me.”

“W-Why…?”

Kim Woohyun is questioning himself more than questioning Minkyung, but of course she cannot feel it.

“You’re seriously asking me that!? You all think you can get away with what you have done?”

“So you…you really are the one leaking news to cops. You have the USB.”

The sudden confusion distracts her anger. “…What?”

“You said no one’s behind you.” His distressed expression looks sincere, too sincere that Minkyung thinks he’s acting. “I know how much you hate me and them, but...you can’t fight them in this way, they will hurt you… Just give me the USB, you are not helping me, you have to save yourself.”

“What USB?”

What kind of nonsense is that?

“Minkyung please, you can’t blackmail…”

“Bang”, the door is pushed open and Song Jungki walks in with audible steps. “Time’s up.”

Kim Woohyun turns with slight terror. “Wait, she will give it to us, I haven’t…”

“She won’t stop playing dumb, you know it better than I do.” Song Jungki says while rolling up his sleeves. “You’re gonna stay here watching or you’re gonna leave?”

After less than a minute’s hesitation, he stands up and walks out of the room, without once turning his head. That doesn’t surprise Minkyung at all, she doesn’t let her fear show when he disappears behind the door either.

“I actually want to praise you first, Miss Kim.”

Song Jungki grabs her arms to make her sit upright. “You did such a great job, made all of us believe you truly can’t remember a thing. So did your old man and that doctor of course, I would have kept an eye on you longer if they had not lied for you.”

Minkyung keeps her sight down as if his words don’t get her attention.

“You are smart. But you think I’m stupid?”

Seeing her have no intention to answer, Song Jungki doesn’t hold back anymore.

“I’m ing talking to you!” Minkyung winces as the man gives her a harsher slap on the face. She falls to the floor, her eyes become watery because of the pain.

“Your old man is the only connection between the four of us. And you happen to be the one with a motive. I felt something weird when I spotted that scar on your neck last time, shame on me that it took me so long to figure.”

He pins her to the floor, with each of his legs by either side of her body, not giving her a chance to break free. “You know I’m good at playing rough. So before things get intense, are you gonna be honest or not?”

“I don’t know what you’re talkin...”

An

Please log in to read the full chapter