Stay

Desperado
Please log in to read the full chapter

Minkyung pulls away quickly, avoids Kyungwon’s concern eyes.

“What’s wrong?”

She stands up from the bed and paces to the window. The rain has become less heavy, the neighborhood is in silence under dim streetlights.

“Minkyung?”

“That…” She asks with a weak voice while facing the window. “W-What was that for?”

“What was what…”

Kyungwon pauses halfway as she comprehends. “Haven’t I…” She’s feeling slightly nervous and embarrassed. “Haven’t I made it quite…obvious…already?”

Minkyung’s breaths hitch. She lowers her head, afraid to see Kyungwon’s reflection from the glass.

“No, I can’t…You can’t…”

“Why?” Kyungwon wants to approach her. “If I’m wrong about it, correct me, but…You didn’t push me away. You didn’t stop me.”

Minkyung bites her lip and turns, eyes still avoiding to meet Kyungwon’s.

“I like you, K-Kyungwon, I really do. I-I mean, ever since we were kids, I lov…”

She takes a hard swallow. That is not an easy word to come out as her self-doubts come up, not to mention Kyungwon’s sight is locking so tensely on her.

“I’ve lived with hatreds and resentments for too many years. I even hated you for a while…and next I just kept you out of my mind because I was filled by thoughts of revenge…”

Kyungwon doesn’t say anything. She’s waiting for her to continue.

“After each…” Minkyung doesn’t have the courage to say it out loud. “I felt dirty. And terrible. It’s like a black hole, keeps gnawing me, never will be patched up. Then you appeared, right in the time when I was suffering and struggling with myself, I don’t know if…I’m scared that…”

“You don’t know if you still love me like you used to.” Kyungwon says, voice calm and gentle which surprises her. “You’re scared that you let me kiss you only because you see me as an escape, a distraction.”

Minkyung winces, she can feel Kyungwon’s coming closer but guilt trip has engulfed her, she dares not to lift up her head.

“Look at me.” Kyungwon asks, touching her jaw with her fingertips. “Please, Minkyung. Look at me.”

The way Kyungwon calls her is soft, too soft that full of fondness, too fond that sends flutters to her heart. It takes like a century for her to look up, Kyungwon is gazing at her, her lips tug into a small curve when their eyes meet.

“You think you’ve changed…Well, we all changed, because we’ve grown up and we’ve gone through get and lost, but I know the real you is still the same, I can tell that from your eyes.”

Kyungwon’s smile becomes brighter. “You waited for me in the rain, right? And I suppose…you’re willing to believe what I said about you?”

Words are stuck in , Minkyung can only nod in response.

“I…I’m sorry if I kind of rushed this and startled you, but can’t you give me a chance to stay with you and help you overcome these messes? I won’t ask you to forget what they did to you, I won’t ask you to let the hatreds go in a sudden, but I want you to know that you don’t have to be affected by them forever, and…you don’t have to live a life on your own.”

Kyungwon watches Minkyung raise her forearm, holding onto her hand which is still under her jaw and feels her grip.

“…Ok.”

Kyungwon blinks. “That’s it? OK?”

“Why you’re always so kind to me…?” Minkyung whispers, voice now fragile without the vigilance she’s been built for years.

“Um…”

Kyungwon quirks her brow before letting out a silly and embarrassed chuckle.

“To make you fall for me?”

She feels slightly regret when Minkyung loosens her hand, but then she is surprised when she throws her arms around her neck and hugs her tight. It doesn’t take long for Kyungwon to come back to earth and wraps her arms around Minkyung, feeling their heartbeats against each other’s chest.

The rain has stopped without they notice, damp but fresh breeze blows in the room, bringing a cool and calming scent.

“Does this mean a yes?”

She doesn’t get the exact reply she wants, but she prefers what she hears.

“Just shut up and hug me.”

Minkyung murmurs, voice a little muffled on her shoulder.

                         ###

“Why making that face?”

Kyungwon asks, obviously amused. “You are not the only one who has the right to visit other’s workplace.”

“You’re here…for me?”

Minkyung puts down the sheets in her hand, her expression is a mix of hesitation and surprise.

“No. I’m here for the hot muscular guy at the counter and see if he’ll go out with me.”

“…O-Oh.”

Kyungwon bursts out laughing. “Don’t tell me you actually believe that! Of course I’m here for you!” She reaches out a hand and ruffles her hair. “You should look at your face, it’s so funny.”

Minkyung blushes, smacking her hand lightly. The way Kyungwon ruffles her hair is so instinctive and intimate, no one ever did this to her but she’s sure no one would make her like it that much.

“Is this yours?”

Kyungwon points at the guitar beside her.

“Oh, yeah. I have two actually, but I usually use this one in class.”

“So um…” Kyungwon puts down her backpack. “Can I listen?”

“Huh?”

“Can you play one for me? Like you always did when we were kids?”

“…Ok.” Minkyung feels her cheeks redden again. Why am I feeling nervous? “Is there a song you in your mind?”

Kyungwon shrugs. “Is there a song in your mind?”

Minkyung’s mind runs through every song she knows and she has learned. Lost Star, Please, Shape of you…These are all good songs for sure, but somehow she doesn’t feel like singing them at this moment. Kyungwon’s looking at her, expecting, and most importantly, it’s Kyungwon who’s here with her now. She wants a song that tells what is in the deep down of her.

“I hope you like old classic.”

Minkyung paces to the piano instead of grabbing over her guitar. Kyungwon just sits down on the nearest chair with glittering eyes.

“Cool. I’ve never seen you play a piano before.”

“This is…the first time I play this song to others. I usually play it when I’m alone.”

Minkyung takes a deep breath and places her fingers on the keyboards. Kyungwon can’t help but smile, thinking she’s cute acting like an elementary school girl who is about to give her very first performance.

But as she presses down the chords, Kyungwon’s smile slowly disappears. She knows this song--and it wouldn’t be sung by someone who’s been living a carefree life or who has never been through any hardships.

 

Desperado, why don't you come to your senses?

You been out riding fences for so long now

Oh, you're a hard one I know that you got your reasons

These things that are pleasing you

Can hurt you somehow

 

Kyungwon gazes at her side profile. Her eyes aren’t closed but she’s not looking at what is in front of her either. Those tiny emotions are lingering in her brown orbs, making they both sink into their thought swirls.

 

Don' you draw the queen of diamonds, boy

She'll beat you if she's able

You know the queen of hearts is always your best bet

Now it seems to me, some fine things

Have been laid upon your table

But you only want the ones that you can't get

 

Minkyung didn’t pick this song randomly, Kyungwon knows that. As it goes on to the highlight part, Minkyung’s voice gradually turns faint. It’s unlike the original and unlike most of the songs, but that is what makes the feeling more profound.

 

Desperado, oh, you ain’t getting no younger

Your pain and your hunger, they're driving you home

And freedom, oh freedom well, that's just some people talking

Your prison is walking through this world all alone

Don't your feet get cold in the winter time?

The sky won't snow and the sun won't shine

It's hard to tell the night time from the day

You're losing all your highs and lows

Ain't it funny how the feeling goes away?

 

She’s telling her story. The conception is not exactly the same, but she is also a desperado. Wandering, lost, doubting, blocking away the ties around her, spending her life chasing a vague monster that only hurts her even worse.

But now she’s trying to turn. She’s dragging herself back. She deserves better, she deserves the best.

 

Desperado, why don't you come to your senses?

Come down from your fences, open the gate

It may be raining, but there's a rainbow above you

You better let somebody love you…before it's too late

 

The chords end, Minkyung’s hands yet not leave the keyboard. She senses a move behind her, then her back is shielded by a warm and solid embrace.

“I’m here.”

Kyungwon whispers beside her ear. “I’m here.”

Minkyung closes her eyes, letting herself melt into the embrace little by little. She doesn’t want to be in her prison n

Please log in to read the full chapter