I'm looking for a trace of you.

The years come and go, but I'm still alone.

My eyes squinted open as soon as the aroma of sizzling Bulgogi tickled my nose. It’s Saturday. I hopped out of my bed and checked my phone on the console table. Oh my God, it got overcharged again. I sighed and checked new messages.

 

To: Chaehyun.

From: Hyoyeon.

Chaehyun-ah! Let’s watch movies later. I’m so bored. -_- Marathon!! Bring food. Victoria will be coming too. :)

To: Hyoyeon.

From: Chaehyun.

Okay, okay. See you later! :)

 

To: 000-951-219-5013

From: MB Telecom

Your ‘Moves Like Jagger’ ring back tone is now activated. Thank you for subscribing to MB Telecom’s awesome features.

To: 000-951-219-5013

From: MB Telecom

You are now subscribed to daily K-pop updates. Thank you for subscribing to MB Telecom’s awesome features.

 

I groaned in frustration and threw my phone on the bed. Still no text from him. Fine, that’s just great Jonghyun. I promise to forget you. Soon. I looked at my reflection and sighed despairingly. I combed brushed my hair and fixed my fringe.

“Chaehyun-ah!” My mom called, interrupting me in my deep thoughts.

“Yes mom?” I yelled back.

“Food’s ready, honey. Get downstairs.” I rushed downstairs only to see a table full of different dishes.

“Good morning, mom.” She glanced at me and placed a fork beside my dad’s plate.

“It’s already twelve noon, sweetie.” She stated matter-of-factly and they chuckled.

“Where’s Hyukkie?” I asked. My younger brother is always missing in action.

“He left an hour ago.”

“To where?” I grabbed a seat and put three full scoops of rice on my plate.

“Yah Chaehyun-ah! You’ll get fat.” My mother stated and pulled my plate. She took a quarter of it and I pouted.

“Watch what you eat, sweetie.”

“Yes, mom.” I answered.

“Well, Hyukkie said he’ll be out with his best friend. What’s his name again, Yeobo?”

“D-dongjae? Jonghae?” My father wrongly stated causing me to burst out in a laugh.

“Mom! Dad! It’s Donghae. Not Dongjae or Jonghae.” Both of them chuckled at their own silliness and proceeded to eat in peace.

“I’ll be going to Hyoyeon’s place later.”

“Just don’t come home late.” My father stated.

“But we’ll have a movie marathon!” I pouted and my mom shook her head.

“We’ll just pick you up, then.”

“Mom! I’m not underage anymore, remember?”

“But still.”

“Please?” They looked at each other and then sighed. Well, they have that special connection, I guess.

“Fine.”

“Thanks!” I hugged the both of them and sprinted back to my room. I took a quick shower and searched for comfortable clothes to wear. My bright yellow blazer quickly caught my attention so I decided to pair it up with a simple white tank top and an aqua colored high waist shorts. Flats should do.  I slipped in my cute navy blue flats and fixed my damp hair.

I stashed my phone, wallet, and iPod in my candy colored satchel bag and put on my sunnies. Done. I’m good to go. I’ll go to the mall first, then to Hyoyeon’s. I squealed in excitement and bid goodbye to my parents. The mall is a twenty minute walk from our place and I’m too lazy to walk so I decided to take the bus. It was only a five minute drive, until we reached the stop.  I excitedly headed out that I almost jumped until I bumped into someone.

“Oh! I’m so sorry.” I apologized and did a small bow. That was so embarrassing. I quickly walked away and went to the mall’s grand entrance.

“Miss! Miss! You dropped something!” Before I got to the entrance, the man from before ran towards me, waving something I recognize. My bracelet.

“Thank you, sir!” I bowed in gratitude as he handed it to me.

“Be more careful next time, miss.” He chuckled and moved ahead.

“Thank you sir!” I shouted and waved at him. That bracelet is so important to me. It has a sentimental value. I sighed and placed it inside my bag because I don’t want to lose it again. It was the very first gift I received from Jonghyun.

 

Flashback.

 

When we were in our junior year, I was the one who confessed first. I confessed to him after my Hawaiian themed birthday party. All of the visitors already left and we were the only people still hanging out on the pool side. I’m not a very forward person, but then I had that guts to admit my love for him because if I don’t, I won’t ever get a chance to. Ever. He seem astounded to what I said and I almost thought he’s going to reject me. When he was about to speak, I hushed him and silenty weeped. I told him not to say anything if he doesn’t like me back and decided to walk away. As soon as I got up my seat, he pulled my hand and placed something heavy and cold on it. I looked back and saw him smiling like an idiot while staring at the piece of metal hanging on my wrist. It was a silver bracelet. A very beautiful silver bracelet. He stood up and made me face him.

“Happy Birthday, Chaehyunnie.” He greeted and pulled me into his warm embrace. The tears I was holding back suddenly spilled out, causing me to hug him tighter.

“Don’t cry anymore, Chaehyun.” He whispered on my ear, sending shivers down my spine.

“I’m here, and I like you back.” He whispered again, his warm breath tickling the back of my ear. He pulled away at looked straight in my eye.

“I love you.” He slowly closed the distance between us and placed his soft lips on mine. I was surprised by his sudden action that my heart was the only thing I hear. It was thumping loudly that it would burst out of my chest any moment. I gradually closed my eyes, feeling the sweet sensation Jonghyun was giving. I started to kiss back and pulled him close even more.

“I. Love. You. Too.” I replied in between the sweet kisses we shared.

 

End of flashback.

 

 

I looked up the sky to prevent the threatening tears from falling. I shouldn’t cry anymore. I wiped the invisible tears and walked inside the mall. I went straight to the grocery to buy snacks for our movie marathon later. I grabbed some chips, popcorn, and sodas and stashed it inside the shopping cart. I glanced at my watch. 2:30pm.I smiled. I still got time to roam around and have some fun before I head to Hyoyeon’s place. I decided to walk around the huge grocery store and stumbled down to the cosmetic section. I love buying cosmetics. This is the place where I spend most of my time when grocery shopping. I smiled in contentment as I browsed through new scents of St. Ives’ lotion.

“Oh my God, this is new.” I squealed. I quickly grabbed it until I saw another hand holding it. I looked at the person and my mouth made an ‘O’ shape.

“Hey,” He said. I looked away, embarrassed.

“We meet again.” He continued. I looked at him and smiled. He was the one whom I bumped with before, and the one who handed me the bracelet I dropped.

“Yeah. Hi.”

“Oh,” He said, as if he remembered something.

“Are you going to get this?” He asked and handed me the bottle of lotion. I smiled and nodded. I happily grabbed it from him and placed it inside my shopping cart. He grabbed another one for himself and stashed it inside his own. I didn’t know men also use this. I just shrugged at my own thought. I guess he seem to notice it so he flashed a warm smile.

“Don’t worry, my hands are clean.” He joked. I chuckled and shook his.

“I’m Chaehyun. Park Chaehyun.” I responded.

“Well, I’m about to go now, Kibum.”

“Key. You can call me Key for short.”

“Oh. Alright, Key. I should be going now.” We bid our goodbyes and headed the other way around. I was about to turn around until I heard someone scoff and mumble. I searched for its source and found a very familiar figure standing oddly beside the metal shelves. I was about to say something but I was loss for words.

“J-jonghyun.” It was the only thing that came out of my mouth.

 

 

______________________________________________________________________________________

 

Oh my God. At last. The first chapter is out! =))