The last date

The Last Date

'DINGG DONGG'

Seomi try to run as fast as she could to the door. He's here!

"Oppa~" she wraps her arm around his neck and kiss his cheek. He looked at her and giggled as he pinches her cheek.

"Miss me?" he asked.

"Of course! Really really missed you" she rested her head on his shoulder. Daniel run his fingers on her hair and kiss her crown. It's been 2 month since Daniel went to Canada because of his family problems and he really missed his girl. But, she's different now and he can sense that.

"Jagi?" he called her. She lifts her head and rise a brow.

"What's wrong?" he asked. Seomi shook her head and hug him.

"Nothing. Nothing is wrong, I just missed you so much" she said. Daniel's eyebrows meet,

'Something's wrong, I know it. She's hiding something from me.' Daniel gaze soften as he looked stare at the girl who is resting her head on his chest. He sighed.

'The way she hugs me. It doesn't feel right'  Daniel's thought were interupted as he felt warmth on his chest. He quickly releases the hug and cups her face.

"Why are you crying?" he wiped the tears on her face with his thumb and look straight to her eyes. To his surprise, Seomi lean closer to attach her lips with Daniel's. She wraps her hands around Daniel's neck as he starts to reply the kiss.

'Her kiss is different too...'

Seomi breaks the kiss and hugs him once more.

"I really miss you, I really really miss you" she said, crying.

"Hey, what's wrong? Tell me" Daniel patted her back, trying to calm her down. She releases the hug and look at him with a smile.

"Let's go out!" she suggest, wiping the tears on her face with her sleeves. Daniel nodded.

"Okay. Go get your stuffs"

"Okie dokie!" she salutes him once and ran to her room.

'What's wrong with her? She's different. The way she talk, the way she wraps her arm around me, the way she kiss me and the way she looked at me. It's like she's burden with something' Daniel questioned in his head.

"I'm ready, let's go!" she said excitedly and pulls his arm. Daniel giggled and followed her step.

'Maybe it's me, I think too much' He mumbled in his head.

"Where are we going?" Daniel asked her. She stops her steps and turn around to face him.

"I don't know" she said, innocently. Daniel slightly pinched her nose.

"Then, why are you leading me?"

"You walked too slow!" she pouts and turn to back him. Daniel smiled and wrap his arms around her neck, back hugging her.

"I brought my car today" he whispers to her ears. Seomi turns around and slap his arm.

"Yahh! Why don't you tell me?"

"Why didn't you ask?" he giggled. Seomi puffed up her cheek and cross her arms on her chest, sulking. Daniel kiss her cheek and pull her hand to his car.

"What make you think I'm going to hop in you after you upset me?" she asked, still standing outside the car with arms crossed.

Daniel flash her a smile.

"FINE! I'll hop in..." she pouts as she enters the car. Daniel laughed and went to the driver seats.

"I know you can't resist my smile" he giggled and kiss her puffed cheek, turning it back to normal.

"Yeah, how can I resist your smile? You're an apeach in disguised" she pinched his cheek and smile. Daniel tapped her head after he starts the engine and drive away. 

'Should I tell him? That will make him stay with me because of sympathy. I don't want that!' she mumbled in her head while staring at him.

"Something's wrong with my face?" he took a glance at her. She shook her head,

"Ani, nothing is wrong..." she said and look out the window, sighing.

'I don't have the gut to tell him....yet'

"We're here" Daniel stops the car after a while. Seomi's eyes wonders around before meeting Daniel's.

"What are we doing at the supermarket?" she asked. Daniel leave her question hanging, went out of his car and open her door.

"Let's buy some equipment" he said and offers his hand to her. Seomi nodded as she takes his offer and went out of the car.

"Let's go to that store first" Daniel pointed at a "Camp-shop" store and Seomi blankly followed his steps. As they enter the store, a man greets them.

"Annyeonghaseyo? Can I help you?" the man asked. Daniel bowed a little and nodded.

"Ne, I need a picnic basket and a mat" Daniel said. The man smiled and led the way to bunches of picnic baskets on the shelves.

"I suggest you this, it's full with equipment. Plate, glass, mat, spoon and fork, even a tumbler" he said and hand in a square picnic basket to him. Daniel opened it and smiled to her.

"Should I buy this?" he asked. Seomi looked at him and shook her head.

"I don't know. Why do you want to buy it?" she asked him back. Again, Daniel leave her question hanging.

"I'll take it" he said and followed the man to the cashier. Seomi puffed up her cheek and follows him.

"Let's buy some food now," Daniel said and pull her to a take-away restaurant.

"A box of chicken nuggets, 2 roll of kimbap, 1 serving of tteobeokki, 1 bottle of orange juice and 2 nachos with extra sauces please" Daniel ordered.

"Do you perhaps sells jelly here?" he asked and only give his card when the cashier looked at him weirdly and said no. Meanwhile, Seomi was sitting outside, waiting for him.

'I should tell him, but will it change anything?'  Seomi questioned in her head. The bubble popped when she saw Daniel walking out.

"Help me put it in" he said. Seomi look at him once and start filling the picnic basket with food. Once they're done, Daniel threw away the plastic bags and hold her hand.

"Let's go," he said as he carries the picnic basket. Seomi nodded and follow him to his car. She took her seat while Daniel place the basket at the back of his car.

"Where are we going?" she asked as he enters the car. Daniel flash her a smile and start the engine.

"Secret~" he said and drove away.

........

"So beautiful~" Seomi mumbled. Suddenly, Daniel wraps his arms around her waist and rest his head on her shoulder.

"It's as beautiful as my baby" he said to her ears. Seomi closed her eyes, his words are like melody to her ears and without she even realize, tears start rolling down her cheek.

"Hey, why are you crying?" Daniel turned her to face him. She wiped her tears and smile.

"You have no idea how I really miss you" she said, looking straight to his eyes. Daniel kissed her temple and hugs her.

"I missed you too, come" Daniel released the hug and pull her to the mat.

"Sit here" he said, pulling her to sit next to him. She obeyed before taking a knife and start cutting the kimbab.

"Be careful with the knife..." Daniel warns her. She ignores him and concentrates on her cutting. Suddenly,

"Ahhhh!" she screamed, blood starts to slowly stream down her index finger. Daniel quickly wiped the blood and her index finger, making her dumbfounded.

'Why are you making it harder for me?'

"I told you too be careful!" Daniel scold her and take over the knife from her hand. He starts cutting the kimbab and getting the food ready on the plate instead.

"Say aahhhh"

"Ahhhhhh" Seomi opened and Daniel feed her a piece of kimbab. She smiled and starts munching.

"Is it delicious?" he asked her. She grab a piece and feed him too.

"Very delicious~" he answered on his own.

..........

"Oppa, I want to walk by the seaside" she requested. Daniel nodded and pull her hand. Their entwined fingers swing as they walk. It was silent, very silent. They both want to say something, but they're worried. Worried of the circumstance. Seomi looked at their entwined fingers and breathe out heavily.

"Oppa~" she stopped.

"Eung?" Daniel turned to her as she lowered down her.

"Wae?" Daniel grab her chin and tilt it up.

"We've walk too far" she chuckles. Daniel's eyes wondered for their mat and its nowhere to be found.

"Guess you're right~" he scratch the back of his head.

"Let's go, its getting dark soon" he said. She pulled his hand as he was about to walk away.

"Can I....." she stutters.

"What is it baby?" Daniel cups her face and tuck her hair behind her ears.

"Can you carry me on your back?" she asked, shyly. Daniel giggled before he nodded and kneel down in front of her. She slowly slides her arms around his neck and he lifts her.

"Am I heavy?"

Daniel's POV

"Am I heavy?" she asked me. To be honest, she is very light, even lighter than before.

"Nope~ you're not heavy at all" I said and tapped her head that was resting on my shoulder.

"Oppa~" she called me.

"Eum?"

"Do you love me?" she asked. What kind of non-sense question is this?

"Of course, I really really love you"

"Jinjja?"

"Yes, jinjja real wanjeon daebak heol~"

"Oppa, I really love you. I never love someone else than you. You're my first and last love" she said near my ears, I can feel her sincerity, and I can feel something is wrong with her tone.

"I know, I love you too" I said, trying to hide my worries.

"Oppa, what will you do if I leave you?" My heart break a little, is she planning to leave me?

"I'll die"

"Eiii~ I'm serious oppa"

"I'm serious too, nothing is more important for me than you" I look at her by the corner of my eyes.

"Oppa, will you make a promise with me?" she asked, I nodded weakly.

"Pinky promise first" she sticks out her hand and I entwined my last finger with hers.

"Pinky promised. What is it?" I asked her.

"Promise me you'll never give up on love when I left" I stop walking.

"What are you saying?"

"You promised!" she pouts, I breathe out heavily and nodded.

"Arasso, I won't"

'I will never give up on love because I have you, I'll never let you go'

"Promise me you'll never give up on life as well"

"Arasso, I won't"

'You are my life, I'll never give up on you'

 "Promise me you'll be fine without me" I nodded.

"Promise me you'll be strong without me" I nodded again, trying to hold my tears. Didn't she know that she's hurting me with these promises?

"Promise me you'll never hurt yourself"

"Promise me you'll take good care of yourself"

"Promise me you'll eat well"

"Promise me you'll make yourself happy"

"Promise me you'll never cry because of me"

"Promise me you'll always remember our promise" I nodded and nodded and nodded.

"Promise me you'll never forget about me"

"I'll never forget about you, never ever!" I stated.

" and.... I love you. Never ever forget that" she whispers to my ears.

"I love you too, I really really do" I tapped her head and continue my steps. I can see her smiling to me from the corner of my eyes.

"Oppa~" she called. Her voice is getting weaker, why?

"Eum?"

"It's so cold" she said.

"Don't worry, we're almost there"

"I'm tired"

"Just sleep on my back, I'll carry you to the car" I ruffled her hair.

"Okay, can you sing me a song?" she ask and I nodded.

"Slowly closed you eyes, feel everything we shared,
Our times, our promises, even your upset face,
Every one of these special moments are precious to me,
Even the times it was hard and I was struggling,
I can be strong by thinking of you smiling when you see me...

No matter where we are, I'm always yours,
I'll alwasy be by yourside with a backhug,
I'll hug you like a bear, wrapping around your back,
I'll protect you always...

A day filled with memories of you,
You're the main of my life, everyday.
I made memories at these streets with you,
and always be where you walk..

Take my hand, just like this,
and can we stay like the word forever?
Both of us, just like this without changing,
I'll love you with all my heart. I promise"

"I love you, Kang Daniel" she whispers into my ears.

"I love you too" I said and kissed her hand. She's quite now, I bet she's already fall asleep.

I place her on the passenger's seat as soon as we reach the car and went back to get out picnic basket. I start packing the stuffs when I found a book on the basket.

"OUR LOVE"

I keep the book on my hand and carry the basket to my car. She's still sleeping like an angel. I placed the book and the basket at the back and drove away.

"Daniel? Where's Seomi?" her mother asked me as I reached their house.

"She's sleeping" I answered and open the passenger's door. Her mother rushed to get her, she holds her in her arm and cried.

"Yeobo!" she calls her husband with tears on her eyes.

"She's not breathing!" she cried, I widen my eyes and move closer to her. I look at her mother as I feel no air going in or out of her nose. Suddenly, her father came examine her.

"Let's go to the hospital to make sure" he rushed. I nodded and went to the driver seats. Her parents sits at the back, crying.

'Baby, I don't know what happen but please be strong. For me, please...'

As we reached the hospital, I park my car randomly and carry her bridal style to the doctor's room and place her on the bed.

"What's wrong with Seomi?" I asked them as the doctor brings her to the emergency room. Her mother keeps my question hanging and keeps crying.

"Seomi... she's sick" her father said to me. I looked into his eyes.

"What kind of 'sick'?"

"Heart cancer" he answered. I can feel my whole world stops spinning at that time. Unconsciously, my knees feel down to the earth and I cried.

"How long...have she..." I can't continue my words, it's too painful for me.

"A week after you left, we found her faint at the living room with blood all over her lips. When we rush her to the hospitals, the doctors confirmed that she's 'sick'. She's on the last stage already." he tapped my back.

"Apparently she knew from the start but she didn't have the gut to tell us. She didnt want us and you to be worried of her. She take medicines but it just didnt work." I look at him and cried even harder, I don't care how awful I looked at that time, I don't care at all.

'I'm not there for her at the time she needed me the most. I'm not there for her! She's suffering and I'm not there for her. That explained everything about, her changes....'

********

"Happy 4th anniversary, baby" I said and kiss her. I run my fingers on her face and kissed her once more.

"Do you know how much I missed you?"  My tears fall on our picture. It's been a years since she leave me, a year full of sadness and tears for me.

"I miss you so much" I place the photo on my chest and hug it. Suddenly, I remember something. I open the back of my car and grab the book before I walk back to the beach.

"I never actually open this" I cleaned the cover of the book and opened the first page. It was a picture of me and her at the fair on our first date.

'First date with the guy I love'

My tears fall again as I read what her wrote. I continue reading the book till the end, it's filled with our pictures and memories. I opened the last page, it was a picture of her.

'My dear Daniel oppa,

When you're reading this, I might not be there with you. I might not be able to wipe away your tears, I might not be able to tap your back and I might not be able to make you smile. Therefore, baby... please don't cry...

Oppa,
For the past few years, you've made me the happiest girl in the world. You care for me, you love and accept me for who I am. I'm really grateful. You are one of the best gifts God have ever gave me, and I thank Him for that. You make me smile when I'm down, you make me laugh when I'm sad, you're always there for me, every time I needed you. You are my guardian, you're my best friend, rival, brother and boyfriend at the same time. You sacrifices and do everything for me, but now... I'm not there anymore...
I want you to take care of yourself and find a new love. I'm not there anymore oppa, and I'll never come back. Please, find a new love and make yourself happy. That's all I ever asked for, for you to be fine even when I'm gone and for you to continue your live without tears.

I love you, Kang Daniel. Please never ever forget that.'

I wiped my tears, place the book on the basket and start walking by the sea side. The sea where we spent our last time together and she made me promised... a lot.

"Promise me you'll never give up on love when I left"

"Promise me you'll never give up on life as well"

"Promise me you'll be fine without me"

 "Promise me you'll be strong without me"

"Promise me you'll never hurt yourself"

"Promise me you'll take good care of yourself"

"Promise me you'll eat well"

"Promise me you'll make yourself happy"

"Promise me you'll never cry because of me"

"Promise me you'll always remember our promise"

"Promise me you'll never forget about me"

 I turned to the calm sea before I sit on the sand, cups my face and cried again. I stopped after a while and smile at the sea.

 "Know what? I'll never give up on love, because you're my love, even when you're not here anymore. I'll never give up on life because you're my life, even when you're not by my side anymore. Even when you're not here for me, I'll be fine because I have you in my heart... I'll be strong because you're my strength. I'll never hurt myself because I know it'll hurt you too. I'll take care of myself because I want to make sure our memories last forever. I'll make myself happy because I already found my happiness, it's you. How can I cry because of you when you're my happiness? I'll always remember our promises and I'll never forget about you. I love you. Forever, I'll always love you Seomi."

I smiled in tears and walk away. Suddenly, the breeze hits me and I heard her....
                    

"I love you, Kang Daniel"